Carlton Agudosi, wide receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlton Agudosi, wide receiver

It seems like I read something good about him everyday.

Carlton Agudosi trying to provide value wherever he can for Eagles
    by Jackson Satz, Updated: July 31, 2019

When the Eagles got into their red-zone drills Wednesday morning, the usual suspects stood out. Zach Ertz and Alshon Jeffery caught touchdown passes, and backfield newcomers Jordan Howard and Miles Sanders made their way over the goal line on the ground.

Even amid those playmakers, though, Carlton Agudosi stands out. At 6-foot-6 and 220 pounds, he’s hard to miss, and with few exceptions, Agudosi is literally head and shoulders above the defensive back who lines up across from him.

Agudosi’s physical gifts make him a prototype for a red-zone receiving threat, able to catch balls thrown where no one else can touch them. On a team with pass-catchers such as Jeffery, Ertz, and second-round draft pick J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, however, it can be difficult to catch eyes for reasons having to do with on-field performance instead of stature.

That much was evident Wednesday, when Agudosi didn’t see much of the ball while playing most of his snaps with Nate Sudfeld at the helm of the second-team offense. As his long frame glided over the field for slant routes, he usually found himself blocking for whichever back had caught a quick out in the flat.

Although he’d love to be making plays, the lack of touches isn’t getting to him: He knows that he’s going to have to be effective in all facets of the game if he is to find a spot in one of the most talented receiving corps in the NFL.

“Be consistent, catch everything, and do whatever the coaches want me to do," he said of the recipe for distinguishing himself. "It’s a lot of talent, so just finding the little details that I can excel at and take off and be consistent with it.”

Consistency has been elusive for Agudosi, whose size screams potential but whose numbers don’t jump off the page. He attended Franklin High School in Somerset, N.J., before moving on to Rutgers, where he had 35 catches for 513 yards over four seasons, 2013-16. The Scarlet Knights went 20-29 in those years, burning through five offensive coordinators and five position coaches in the process.

After signing as an undrafted free agent, he spent more than a year with the Arizona Cardinals, moving between the active roster and practice squad, before being waived last September. He signed with the Eagles in January.

Whether he can manage some production in Philadelphia remains to be seen, but Agudosi isn’t trying to do too much, instead preferring to stay present and keep things simple.

“I control what I can control,” he said. “I can control my attitude, my effort, and knowing all of my assignments, so those are the three things I’ve been trying to do.”

Agudosi is certainly on top of the attitude and effort components of his plan for success. He stayed 40 minutes after practice Wednesday working with fellow wide receiver DeAndre Thompkins and personal coach Drew Lieberman, who was a Rutgers graduate assistant while Agudosi was there before founding The Sideline Hustle, an “educational football resource.”

Along with other Eagles receivers and defensive backs, Agudosi and Thompkins did over-the-shoulder catching exercises with both footballs and tennis balls. The extra work is part of Agudosi’s personal mandate to be ready when his opportunity comes, whenever that might be.

“My expectation is to be consistent, to make plays when my number is called on, and be somebody that coaches can count on for a play every time,” he said.

Beyond that, he has no expectations. He doesn’t preoccupy himself with his future on the team. He’s above that.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

And then I found this........

Big target, but ...
    One of the receivers who’s been catching the eyes of observers is Rutgers product Carlton Agudosi. He’s 6-6, 220 and can be a terror in the red zone. Pederson even complimented him during his post-practice press conference. Yet there’s a weak spot in his game that is working against him: the deep ball. We’ve counted at least three drops on passes over 20 yards. These were all balls that were on the money too.

Comment

I don't care how big this guy is. IMO, if he has stone hands like that, I don't want him anywhere near the field. I can't see him sticking anyway. We already have a big target with great hands (JJ).

Comment

Tough to crack the WR lineup. Proven vets in Alshon and Desean. I'm an Alshon fan. Then you have the rook with too many names. He definitely has some skill. Hollins, and others, have some time in the system. But... best guy gets the roster spot so I hope he works hard at it
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Doug is mentioning Ward quite a bit too. I'm thinking that he might go with 6 wrs this year. I remember Andy went with 7 the year that we had Gibson(?) because he knew that he would be able to trade him.

I hear ya on the drops Pliny-I'm a one and done guy too!! Maybe that's why he got cut in Zona?

Comment

Working...
          X