No announcement yet.

Honk if you understand the new tax plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When one of the Republican Senators was on today and said that a family of 4 making 75K got a 3K break that sounded great to me! When people get their withholding taxes changed in February I guess the rubber will meet the road. I know that AT&T is giving everybody a 1K bonus and investing $1billion into their company. That's a lot of business created!! As far as the trickle down part I don't know how sold I am on that. I do know that if you give more money to people that don't have much they are going to spend it and that's the whole idea! Joe Kernan on Squawk Box was complaining that his taxes are going up and I'm thinking that if they are he must be making a shitload of money so I don't feel too bad for him. I guess the smaller $millionaires are taking a hit.

And ND, I totally agree with your post. As always a lot of us are left in the dark and apparently some people who voted for it were too.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I will say One thing. The argument that it adds $1.5 trillion to the deficit is laughable. First, the scoring doesn’t use dynamic scoring which is crazy to me. But bigger than that to me are the crocodile tears being shed by Democrats. Deficits didn’t seem to matter during PBO term but apparently they do now. I just don’t get that at all.
      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

It is not perfect!

It is a major change to move the country forward, IMM. The corporate tax rate is the biggest factor, it brings the US back in line with the rest of the world. That I and by itself will move the economy forward, thus making the whole country benefit.

Certainly better than doing nothing, which we lived through for the last decade or so. Again, the big picture to me is more important than the individual couple of dolla s one way or the other.

Comment

I agree we needed tax reform and this may be better than nothing. Doom and gloom on one side and peaches and cream on the other. Only time will tell results. I guess I would have to say I am cautiously optimistic. Although I would say doing nothing for the last decade sounds very political to me. What was the stock market at in Nov when Obama was elected and what was it in Nov when Trump was elected. Depending on what date or month you use the market went up anywhere from 8,000 to 10,000 points. What was unemployment in Nov then v Nov now. Don't know but I would guess it went down 6% to 8%.
          Not saying last year hasn't been historic but to say doing nothing is FOX news rather than telling the whole story.
          As for the deficit aw you are right. The administration spends without care. Congress is supposed to be the one holding the line and they haven't. Party doesn't matter. This country hasn't spent within its means for a long, long time.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Doing nothing meant no tax relief-- just more spending! Look at #'s? ok, what was the National Debt when Obama took office, and what was it the day he left?

In the 8 years of Obama, the National debt increase was almost more than the national debt incurred by the previous 43 administrations----- COMBINED! He took office with the National Debt at 10.6 Trillion January 20 2009, he left Jan 20 2017 it was 19.9 Trillion. Of course there were many reasons, trade deficit being one of them because of his trade deals, our tax rate almost forcing major companies to move elsewhere, small business drying up due to regulation. Giving away BILLIONS to Iran and North Korea and other countries that are not friends of ours. All leading to a piss poor GDP at best ever hitting 1.8. That is NO Growth, that is Spending more than you have, that is NOT helping your citizens first.

And in all that time and the 9 trillion spent --- none was given back to the people. And this country sank very low in the world standard because we tried to be "Globalists".

IMM, that is doing nothing.
            Last edited by MDFAN; 12-21-2017, 02:27 PM.

Comment

I'd agree with those numbers MD and would hope you would agree with the unemployment numbers and the stock market numbers.
              I would also add that a wholllleee lot of that debt came from getting involved in a war that we weren't paying for. Which goes back to the Bush administration stayed through his administration and continues in this administration. I would also reflect back to the economy that he stepped into and give that some consideration for actions taken to turn around an economy that was spiraling downward on a fast track. Finally, deficit spending is a way of life in DC; as I asked when was the last time we had a balanced budget. All of these cats, including the current administration, has no qualms about deficit spending. Only time will tell but I will eagerly await the deficit number in three years. Sounds to me like it should be in the ten trillion area.
              I am almost believing we should have a wartime tax. Everyone throw in another $10 or $15k. Make it a little tougher on those sitting around avoiding military service but happy to send other people's kids to war.
              Administrations may not do what a segment wants but, this is just my opinion, doing nothing is not a fair comment.
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Again, we disagree.

Comment

Just me sayin...............

Below are the 12 categories and 81 wins by the White House.

Jobs and the economy

Passage of the tax reform bill providing $5.5 billion in cuts and repealing the Obamacare mandate.

Increase of the GDP above 3 percent.

Creation of 1.7 million new jobs, cutting unemployment to 4.1 percent.

Saw the Dow Jones reach record highs.

A rebound in economic confidence to a 17-year high.

A new executive order to boost apprenticeships.

A move to boost computer sciences in Education Department programs.

Prioritizing women-owned businesses for some $500 million in SBA loans.

Killing job-stifling regulations

Signed an Executive Order demanding that two regulations be killed for every new one creates. He beat that big and cut 16 rules and regulations for every one created, saving $8.1 billion.

Signed 15 congressional regulatory cuts.

Withdrew from the Obama-era Paris Climate Agreement, ending the threat of environmental regulations.

Signed an Executive Order cutting the time for infrastructure permit approvals.

Eliminated an Obama rule on streams that Trump felt unfairly targeted the coal industry.

Fair trade

Made good on his campaign promise to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

Opened up the North American Free Trade Agreement for talks to better the deal for the U.S.

Worked to bring companies back to the U.S., and companies like Toyota, Mazda, Broadcom Limited, and Foxconn announced plans to open U.S. plants.

Worked to promote the sale of U.S products abroad.

Made enforcement of U.S. trade laws, especially those that involve national security, a priority.

Ended Obama’s deal with Cuba.

Boosting U.S. energy dominance

The Department of Interior, which has led the way in cutting regulations, opened plans to lease 77 million acres in the Gulf of Mexico for oil and gas drilling.

Trump traveled the world to promote the sale and use of U.S. energy.
                  Expanded energy infrastructure projects like the Keystone XL Pipeline snubbed by Obama.

Ordered the Environmental Protection Agency to kill Obama’s Clean Power Plan.

EPA is reconsidering Obama rules on methane emissions.

Protecting the U.S. homeland

Laid out new principles for reforming immigration and announced plan to end "chain migration," which lets one legal immigrant to bring in dozens of family members.

Made progress to build the border wall with Mexico.

Ended the Obama-era “catch and release” of illegal immigrants.

Boosted the arrests of illegals inside the U.S.

Doubled the number of counties participating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement charged with deporting illegals.

Removed 36 percent more criminal gang members than in fiscal 2016.

Started the end of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival program.
                  Ditto for other amnesty programs like Deferred Action for Parents of Americans.

Cracking down on some 300 sanctuary cities that defy ICE but still get federal dollars.

Added some 100 new immigration judges.
                  Protecting communities

Justice announced grants of $98 million to fund 802 new cops.
                  Justice worked with Central American nations to arrest and charge 4,000 MS-13 members.

Homeland rounded up nearly 800 MS-13 members, an 83 percent one-year increase.

Signed three executive orders aimed at cracking down on international criminal organizations.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions created new National Public Safety Partnership, a cooperative initiative with cities to reduce violent crimes.

Accountability

Trump has nominated 73 federal judges and won his nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.

Ordered ethical standards including a lobbying ban.

Called for a comprehensive plan to reorganize the executive branch.

Ordered an overhaul to modernize the digital government.

Called for a full audit of the Pentagon and its spending.

Combatting opioids

First, the president declared a Nationwide Public Health Emergency on opioids.

His Council of Economic Advisors played a role in determining that overdoses are underreported by as much as 24 percent.

The Department of Health and Human Services laid out a new five-point strategy to fight the crisis.

Justice announced it was scheduling fentanyl substances as a drug class under the Controlled Substances Act.

Justice started a fraud crackdown, arresting more than 400.

The administration added $500 million to fight the crisis.

On National Drug Take Back Day, the Drug Enforcement Agency collected 456 tons.

Protecting life

In his first week, Trump reinstated and expanded the Mexico City Policy that blocks some $9 billion in foreign aid being used for abortions.

Worked with Congress on a bill overturning an Obama regulation that blocked states from defunding abortion providers.

Published guidance to block Obamacare money from supporting abortion.

Helping veterans

Signed the Veterans Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act to allow senior officials in the Department of Veterans Affairs to fire failing employees and establish safeguards to protect whistleblowers.

Signed the Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act.

Signed the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act, to provide support.

Signed the VA Choice and Quality Employment Act of 2017 to authorize $2.1 billion in additional funds for the Veterans Choice Program.

Created a VA hotline.

Had the VA launch an online “Access and Quality Tool,” providing veterans with a way to access wait time and quality of care data.
                  With VA Secretary Dr. David Shulkin, announced three initiatives to expand access to healthcare for veterans using telehealth technology.

Promoting peace through strength

Directed the rebuilding of the military and ordered a new national strategy and nuclear posture review.

Worked to increase defense spending.

Empowered military leaders to “seize the initiative and win,” reducing the need for a White House sign off on every mission.
                  Directed the revival of the National Space Council to develop space war strategies.

Elevated U.S. Cyber Command into a major warfighting command.
                  Withdrew from the U.N. Global Compact on Migration, which Trump saw as a threat to borders.

Imposed a travel ban on nations that lack border and anti-terrorism security.

Saw ISIS lose virtually all of its territory.

Pushed for strong action against global outlaw North Korea and its development of nuclear weapons.

Announced a new Afghanistan strategy that strengthens support for U.S. forces at war with terrorism.

NATO increased support for the war in Afghanistan.
                  Approved a new Iran strategy plan focused on neutralizing the country’s influence in the region.

Ordered missile strikes against a Syrian airbase used in a chemical weapons attack.

Prevented subsequent chemical attacks by announcing a plan to detect them better and warned of future strikes if they were used.
                  Ordered new sanctions on the dictatorship in Venezuela.

Restoring confidence in and respect for America

Trump won the release of Americans held abroad, often using his personal relationships with world leaders.

Made good on a campaign promise to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Conducted a historic 12-day trip through Asia, winning new cooperative deals. On the trip, he attended three regional summits to promote American interests.

He traveled to the Middle East and Europe to build new relationships with leaders.

Traveled to Poland and on to German for the G-20 meeting where he pushed again for funding of women entrepreneurs.

Comment

Great, you should write to him and maybe take Omarosa's place.
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

Lol, Just have waited so long to get a president with some balls.

Sorry so many worry more about style than substance.

Comment

Just a few points that I'd like to make regarding your comments MD and ND.

When Clinton left office the government was running at a SURPLUS!! The big argument in Congress was that the Republicans wanted the money distributed back to the people while Clinton wanted to use it to reduce the National Debt.

Bush blew it out of the water, first by just spending a lot and then starting a war. He was more of a Democrat than Clinton was in many respects, and Clinton more of a Republican. Bush also was guilty of the same numbers that MD accused Obama amassed. The only problem is that when you double numbers several times they add up very quickly.

The economy was improving at the end of the Obama administration but the election of Trump with his proposed policies set the market on fire. Anyone who has and IRA or 401K has already benefited greatly from his administration.

Unemployment went down as soon as congress took away unemployment benefits Obama's second term because there were so many freeloaders collecting that had no intention of going back to work. Those numbers are always pretty fake anyway because they do not reflect the under employed people and they are just not that accurate period.

Just for the record I find Trump a jerk but also an effective President. There aren't many of his policies that he has that I don't agree with. I can't stand him but I've got to admit he's the first transparent President of my lifetime because he can't keep his mouth shut. We know what he is thinking all the time. I think these tax cuts for the rich are far too overdone. Kennedy keeps being brought up as the pioneer of this philosophy and he was. However, the top tax rates were close to 80% at the time. Regan also cut them again but it lead to a deficit eventually but I admit that I don't know the economics of why.

Trump is also much more popular than the polls indicate. Even now people won't admit to anybody that they voted for him or agree with him (even in a poll) but they secretly do. As long as the economy improves I think that he will stay in office. Much of his progress negotiating agreements with other countries over a variety of subjects goes unreported.

Comment

Without a doubt this is the most important document Trump has put his signature on. Please read the incredible scope that this covers and how far reaching it is legally. Remember this is a declaration of a national emergency the media has barely touched this if at all. The most important aspect of the order is the "corruption" aspect and the seizing of assets using the Treasury dept. and DOJ. This is huge, and this is how you drain the swamp!

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...se-corruption/
                          Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zepster View Post
                            Without a doubt this is the most important document Trump has put his signature on. Please read the incredible scope that this covers and how far reaching it is legally. Remember this is a declaration of a national emergency the media has barely touched this if at all. The most important aspect of the order is the "corruption" aspect and the seizing of assets using the Treasury dept. and DOJ. This is huge, and this is how you drain the swamp!

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...se-corruption/
                            Thanks for posting this Zep. I'm surprised that FOX hasn't run with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              Thanks for posting this Zep. I'm surprised that FOX hasn't run with this.
                              I am as well. I very rarely watch Fox anymore, I watch OANN One America News Network, all the rest of my news is through the internet. This is a declaration of national emergency, how is this not HUGE news???
                              Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zepster View Post
                                I am as well. I very rarely watch Fox anymore, I watch OANN One America News Network, all the rest of my news is through the internet. This is a declaration of national emergency, how is this not HUGE news???
                                Maybe it isn't real?

Comment

Working...
                                X