Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great read on Tapeh.....

http://www.nj.com/eagles/times/index.ss ... thispage=1

I was not aware of the 2nd set back, six months in...........

Obviously the Eagles think a lot of this kids potential... maybe, just maybe, he will be the true "darkhorse" this year.

I don't know if Tapeh can even qualify as a dark horse any more. Seems a lot of local media attention as well as the web site has dedicated a lot of storyline material to this kid, and his consideration as a stong candidate for the FB postion has been well publicized. Dark horse? No, actually I would be shocked if he didn't make the team, and very surprised if he didn't end up as our FB.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I kinda meant darkhorse in that when he got hurt many speculated that he would never, ever recover enough to play at the pro level again.

I don't don't think there is much question at all that he makes the team.

Were you aware of the 2nd problem? I wasn't.

Comment

I didn't realize he had a second problem either.

With the type of terrible injury he had I would be surprised if he could challange anyone this year for a spot.

What a minute.. a no smoking sign could challange Parry and Mahe.

Comment

Good read on Tapeh. Let's keep our collective fingers crossed for Thomas. He could be a major addition to the O if he can handle the FB spot as a starter. I would, however, greatly miss seeing Parry trip over his own feet after catching a wide open flat pass.

I'm not surprised that we didn't know about the setback 6 months after the Tapeh's initial injury. With AR's obession with playing things close to the vest, he could may be offered a spot with the NSA if he ever gives up coaching,

Comment

I was psyched on the way the Eagles were bringing Tapeh along in his rookie season, and believed that in his second year ge was going to be the starting FB and the player that weaned the Eagles FO off there addiction to the Buckhalter potential.

So, it is safe to say that I was extremely dejected to see him gte hurt in a meaningless final game of 04. I also was not aware of the second set back, so I was extremely concerned about him missing all of 05, leading me to think that the initial hip injury was career threatning.

Reading this piece, gives me a sliver of hope that he can recover from the injury and come back strong for the Eagles. I have to say that there are now some doubts in mind that he can win the starting FB spot or excel in the big back role this season.

However, there is one thing the Eagles know how to do, and that is to make the best cost/benefit assessment in regards to players current/potential abilities. Since they are willing to be patient with Tapeh, I have to believe that he has a tremendous upside potential.

Comment

The personnel department may have a bad track record on drafting linebackers and WR's, but they have done a tremendous job in selecting RB's. Westy and Bucky were great picks and Perry is coming along fine for a 7th rounder. Tapeh could be another great later round nab if he can get it together.

Could we move our personnel evaluators and coaches for the running backs to wide receiver?
              Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
                The personnel department may have a bad track record on drafting linebackers and WR's, but they have done a tremendous job in selecting RB's. Westy and Bucky were great picks and Perry is coming along fine for a 7th rounder. Tapeh could be another great later round nab if he can get it together.

Could we move our personnel evaluators and coaches for the running backs to wide receiver?
                If "Hell" Tapeh is healthy, I have even more hope for our running game.
                I wouldn't be so hard on our personnell department or even Culley...yet. First of all, Pinky and Freddie were both projects from the prior regime. Heckert has only drafted McMullen with a 3rd and Reggie with a 2nd. McMullen didn't work out but is not a total loss yet since IMHO Baskett could be better. Reggie only ends up being the best rookie WR in team history and has real #1 potential. This year and next will tell. In related picks they brought in Westy to fill the multi-skilled passcatching role at RB and used a 2nd on a little known TE from that powerhouse Rutgers. For the passing game that is three big successes and a probable miss with a 3rd pick. I like their picks this year with Avant and Bloom. It is entirely possible, maybe even probable that in a couple years, we will all refer to the turnaround in the WR situation as being synonomous with Heckert's taking over in 2002.

Comment

FD, I agree with a lot you have said --- but Let's talk about David Culley.

The guy has been the WR's coach since January of 99.

Name any WR's that got markedly better under his tutelage?

How many Wr's have passed through here that never ever lived up to the talent level that the club, we and the media all thought they had?

As you know I am not a hater and I generally trust Reid, but with Culley I scratch my head. Just seems to me that the WR position has been putrid for too long and that HE has been that coach for the entire time.

Comment

MDF, my gut reaction has been identical to yours until 2004. Last year it changed even more. First I watched a UDFA like Lewis turn into a decent #3 and then a 2nd rounder like Reggie turn in the best rookie year in Eagles history...repeat in Eagles history. I had to rethink the situation. Maybe methinks it was just garbage in and garbage out. We fans saw Freddie the Mouth's skillset but not his sh*t-for-brains attitude. Heckert unlike Modrak, doesn't seem to get caught like that. He really knows his picks. If Gaffney is the good but uncelebrated possession receiver or Avant as well or Bloom eventually a good Pinky replacement then it will be final proof. This is the year with Brown, Gaffney, Avant and Bloom when Culley earns his keep...or his way out the door. Since I think Andy is a good judge of his staff's ability, I would not be surprised to see an OL like transformation taking place.
                    I know this is extremely optimistic, but I'm trying to honestly read the tea leaves here.

Comment

Well, I love th optimism, you know that, but I gotta tell ya,, he has been here through Modrak and Heckert and it seems to me that only Brown has lived up. (maybe Pinky)

Not only draft picks but even FA's and UDFA's--- seemed to have rarely risen since Culley has been the coach.

How many stories of guys with great hands have we heard-- only to watch them drop ball after ball--- or how many guys have shined in practice and then stunk it up in games.

Maybe you're right maybe it isn't Culley--- but my train of thought has changed to--- we tried different WR's, we've tried drafting them high, we tried FA's, we've tried UDFA's and in essence the sore spot in this O has always been the same WR''s spot---- isn't it possible that it might be the coach? If we have tried all these other things and the WR's really haven't shined-- let's try a change at WR's coach instead of just rotating in more bodies.

I hope you're right and I hope Gaffney(good pick up) and a healthy Pinky and the continuing growing of Brown is enough-- I just have to ask that question again though.... why not at least look at the coach?

Comment

MDF: Modrak + Culley = Near total disaster

Heckert + Culley = Promising ....TBD.

Comment

Working...
                        X