X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes-We're playing Sunday with only 3 wrs!-BGN

Eagles OC Mike Groh talks getting Dallas Goedert more involved
    comments
    Plus: DC Jim Schwartz talks sloppy defensive play against the Bucs.

So we already know that Carson Wentz is the starting quarterback for the Eagles in Week 3 against the Colts, but there are still a lot of unknowns surrounding some of his offensive weapons heading into the weekend.

The team has started making roster moves, including adding RB Josh Adams to the 53-man roster from the practice squad, and subsequently releasing WR DeAndre Carter. The team now has three healthy wideouts heading into Sunday’s matchup, which does not seem ideal.

Eagles coordinators Mike Groh and Jim Schwartz talked to the media on Tuesday and gave their impressions of the team’s Week 2 loss and a look into how they are preparing for the game against Indianapolis.

Here’s what they had to say:

Mike Groh
    On offensive weapons
    Groh admitted they have a talented player in rookie tight end Dallas Goedert and they need to find more ways to get him involved. He talked about having some extenuating circumstances on Sunday, but they are going to modify that moving forward and give him a bigger role.

They’ve had a lot of turnover since training camp, and Groh said they’ll have to try and find a rhythm with the 11 players they have on the field each week. He also pointed to a lot of moving parts with the receivers due to injuries, but that isn’t exclusive to the Eagles roster.

Nelson Agholor took more reps than he normally would have in Week 2, given the injury to Wallace early in the first drive, but Groh said the wide receiver is an extreme competitor. He continued on about how going no-huddle made things more difficult, but the coordinator said that also speaks to the overall conditioning of the team.

He talked about being impressed with running back Josh Adams during the preseason, and as someone already on their practice squad and familiar with their scheme, he was a big body they could bring up to the active roster.

Groh was then asked if Adams was brought in as a Plan B to Jay Ajayi not being able to go in Week 3, and the OC admitted that was part of it. He said they need to be sure they have the roster in place in case Ajayi is still tending to an injury.

On Colts prep
    He was asked about how they prepare to go against former OC Frank Reich, to which Groh quipped, “Frank who?”

But he quickly got back on topic and just made note that there are some provisions and adjustments they need to make so that Reich doesn’t have any sort of unfair advantage over his former team, but that isn’t something too concerning for the Eagles.

On Carson Wentz’s return
    Groh also talked about being excited to have Carson Wentz back, and said that the quarterback has worked incredibly hard to get himself ready to play again. As of now, the team is just looking forward to getting him back out on the field, and they aren’t really setting any sort of expectations this early.

The OC said the quarterback’s job is to lead his team to victory and Wentz has tremendous command of the offense and has a clear vision for how he wants to lead this team. Groh said that Wentz has articulated those things to both the coaching staff and his teammates, and they are excited to get behind him.

Groh wouldn’t say that Wentz would look like he did in 2017 in his first game back, but did say that eventually — perhaps after any rust gets knocked loose — he’ll look like himself. He thinks it’ll take a couple of games to get him back into the swing of things, especially after having no preseason snaps and very few reps over the offseason.

Jim Schwartz
    On playing at home vs. on the road
    Schwartz said playing at home is a big advantage for defenses throughout the league, but particularly for the Eagles team in front of the Philly crowd. He echoed what Groh mentioned, there is a reason they call it home-field advantage.

The coordinator did acknowledge that they need to be more consistent on the road, however. He said they don’t change their game plan based on playing at home or on the road, but he doesn’t think that an airplane ride affects his guys all that much.

On the long TDs
    Schwartz was asked about the two long touchdowns on Sunday against the Bucs and whether it was an aberration. He quipped “it wasn’t in this game” and continued to talk about how they would be on the wrong path to say it was an aberration.

He said one was on a blitz and one was on what was considered a pretty safe zone, but Schwartz talked about how it taught them that you can’t let your guard down on any play.

He pointed out that fans are always yelling at him to call a blitz on every play — which he understands and agrees you need to bring pressure on the QB — but it also comes with some risk, as evidenced by that first play on Sunday.

Schwartz noted they didn’t execute well on the big plays, but also they didn’t tackle well. He said the defense didn’t look like themselves, with wide receivers dragging the Eagles defenders an extra couple yards.

He said it’s never the fault of just one guy, but that there are a lot of layers to missing out on a play.

Schwartz was blunt — as he usually is — saying the defense in particular was sloppy on Sunday. The tackling wasn’t as good as it normally is, as well as their technique and pursuit, and some missed assignments. He said you can’t blame the weather on things like that.

He said he might not have been happy with the overall performance, but at the end of the day he’s proud of the guys for finding a way to push through to the end and continue to fight. Schwartz pointed out it takes a lot of character to continue to push when you’re “playing like crap”.

On Colts prep
    Schwartz was asked if while looking at the game tape ahead of the Colts game, if Andrew Luck still looks as good as he did years ago. The DC acknowledged that Luck is completing 71% of his throws right now and they are a great third down team.

He continued that Luck is still a very accurate passer and has some mobility. He’s taken some hits to that shoulder, and hasn’t been afraid to scramble around, which shows that he’s feeling pretty good and not shying away from things like that.

Schwartz also talked about several of the offensive weapons the Colts have that they have to prepare for, including deep threat T.Y. Hilton and their tight ends. He said each week you have someone to focus on, but Indianapolis certainly has options the Eagles need to pay attention to and prepare for.

The coordinator didn’t mince words when asked about preparing to go against his former colleague and friend. Schwartz said he’d go on record saying that Frank Reich “is one the best guys I’ve ever met in this business” and even calling him “a gem of a man”.

He continued that it isn’t rare to go against friends in the NFL, but the talent they have in Indianapolis is different than what they had in Philly, so he doesn’t expect it to be like something he used to see in training camp, but there is going to be some familiarity — as there is with anybody you worked with for several years, and bounced ideas off of.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I doubt they go into the Indy game with 3 WR's. Maybe, just maybe, they have a feeling that Jeffrey may be cleared soon (yes please).

Or, a move may be coming.

I am surprised that Adams is coming up. We need a healthy Ajayi right now.

Comment

Word is they will sign Jordan Mathews and Cory Coleman in the next day or so
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
        Word is they will sign Jordan Mathews and Cory Coleman in the next day or so
        Ugghh and ugghh

I would rather have Maclin as a stop gap player than JM.

Coleman could be nice. But, that guy probably won't see the field for a long time, if ever, based on what people say about his ability to pick things up.

I really liked our WR group coming in to the season with a healthy group. My how things have changed.

Comment

If they liked Aiken so much why did they cut him and keep Carver? Now they cut Carver and bring back Aiken and start him against TB? WTF?

Comment

Perkins is a WR / TE hybrid so maybe 3.5 WRs?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              If they liked Aiken so much why did they cut him and keep Carver? Now they cut Carver and bring back Aiken and start him against TB? WTF?
              Not sure but I think Sproles not being available was a factor in Carter
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
                Ugghh and ugghh

I would rather have Maclin as a stop gap player than JM.

Coleman could be nice. But, that guy probably won't see the field for a long time, if ever, based on what people say about his ability to pick things up.

I really liked our WR group coming in to the season with a healthy group. My how things have changed.
                Jordan Mathews was the best fit for their current situation. He has had success here and success with Wentz. Nobody out there available could say that. They needed someone this week to start. Long term Mathews does not make as much sense. Right now the short term is more important
                Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Jordan Matthews is signed.
                  Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Originally posted by beagle View Post
                    Jordan Matthews is signed.
                    No brainer.

Comment

Yea have to agree that Mathews isn't a game changer but he can step in this week. And who knows he has NFL skill so he might just make one good play
                      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Matthews drove me friekin nuts while he was here but I suppose that he's not any worse than the junk that we have to put out there now other than Aggie.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                          Matthews drove me friekin nuts while he was here but I suppose that he's not any worse than the junk that we have to put out there now other than Aggie.
                          He had some of the worst drops you can ever imagine. The only thing that really saved him was the fact that Aggie was so horrid!

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
                            He had some of the worst drops you can ever imagine. The only thing that really saved him was the fact that Aggie was so horrid!
                            So now we have role reversal. I'm buying a bottle of tums for Sunday. I'll stir them in bourbon and water. Even Buffalo doesn't want this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                              No brainer.

The decision to sign him or Mathews nickname?

Plus, let's not forget that Mathew s' mother is Jerry Rice's cousin. So...right there, we got that goin' for us...again!

Comment

Working...
                              X