Sports Illustrated article on Vick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Illustrated article on Vick

I'll pass on calling him "TDK," at least for this thread. I still count myself among the skeptics, but I thought it was a really even-handed article, worth a read:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...26/3/index.htm

Trying to summarize the points:

- Vick admitted that, even after he'd gotten out of prison, he wasn't truly afraid that he'd lose everything, and began to fall back into bad habits and a bad crowd, despite his wife and his mother's urging ("You don't ever listen to me," his mother said). It wasn't until the shooting after his birthday party, the article says that he ended up sobbing and believing that his only second chance was already over. He got read the riot act not only by Reid, but also his mother (basically, "You went to prison and you still didn't learn...and you get a second chance, and now this??"), and everything really sank in after that.

- one reason why it's such a big story: if he's changed and the story has a happy ending, then it's a story of redemption and of a person who turned his life around, and who wouldn't pull for that?

- the article has a theory that, if not for prison, who would Vick be? That QB in Atlanta, or some other team, who had the same poor work habits, trying to get by on his talent, that's who.

- the article went in detail about Reid's experiences with his sons, how people were unwilling to give his sons a second chance even when their intentions were genuine, how grateful they all were to start over, and how that influenced Reid getting on board. Also how Reid's son Garrett told him that he needed to meet Vick in person, to really see if he was genuine or selling him a pack of lies. Lurie then had Vick over at his house for six hours, even let him play chess with his 14 year old son. He said that he saw real regret over those hours, and that's what got him on board.

- the Eagles' locker room mostly sees him as an inspirational figure. He's gotten himself into hell, been in hell, gotten through it and out, and survived -- although the person who came in, isn't the same person who left it. Though he does know that he's only one misstep away from losing it again.
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Hmm. Well, if he really is trying to redeem himself, I wish him the best. Especially at this time of year.
    E A G L E S

EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X