Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insufficient pass rush? Some interesting observations....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insufficient pass rush? Some interesting observations....

Overall, though, the pass rush still has not been good enough.

It is the darndest dilemma.

Defensive coordinator Jim Johnson would not agree with this whole notion, by the way, but it is there in the numbers. The Eagles are not getting enough pressure on enough pass plays. We can debate the whys and the hows and the what-it-means, and we will.

But in two games so far, the Texans' David Carr and the Giants' Eli Manning have completed 70 percent of their throws against the Eagles and it isn't because either one of them is on a fast track to Canton. It is because they had too much time or it was too easy to adjust to their lack of time.

Either way, it is a disaster waiting to happen for an Eagles football team that has one of those better-win-it games coming up on Sunday at San Francisco.

Johnson, though, would disagree.

"Yeah. I think last Sunday, no question about it, excellent pass rush, good pressure on the quarterback," he said. "We had eight sacks and got really close on a couple of others, but I think the pressure was good. The biggest problem, we all know, is just giving up a couple of big plays, and that's the only thing that's kind of discouraging."

Johnson is a pretty straight shooter. It's true that the Eagles have created more pressure with their front four than at maybe any time since this staff has been here. Johnson said, "We've been fresh and the guys kind of like it. We've really been able to stay with our rotation so far and they are fresh and they seem to like it. We've got some good players rushing the passer."

Still, the numbers nag at you. The sacks, you can see. The hurries are compiled by the Eagles' coaches. Against the Giants, the Eagles had eight sacks and seven hurries, which gave them pressures on 15 out of 51 pass plays. That isn't enough.

For the first two games, it is 25 total pressures in 83 pass plays. That is 30.1 percent. And while it is a huge improvement over last season (24.8 percent, an astoundingly low number), it is nowhere near where the pass rush was in the Super Bowl season of 2004 (37.3 percent).

Instead, it is an almost identical number to 2003. That was the year when the Eagles had terrible defensive-line injuries, and played most of the season with N.D. Kalu on one end (like last year). It was the year when Andy Reid was so worried about his pass rush that he spent a zillion dollars after it was over to sign a free-agent end named Jevon Kearse

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/15580086.htm
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

At some point our corners needs to do their job. Pass rush has nothing to do with our problems at all. Statistics this and that all you want - the pass rush has been ferocious.

Our corners - Sheldon included - have been crap.
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Personnally I think it's because the receivers aren't getting beat up at the line. Our db's play way too far off if you ask me but what do I know.

Comment

It's a chicken or the egg thing. Which came first - the insufficient pass rush, or the DB not getting the job done? Most of the time it's insufficient pass rush. Last year - quite obviously - our pass rush sucked out loud. It made our DBs look horrendous - so horrendous I really couldn't always properly evaluate if the DBs were as bad as they looked.

This year, though, we're getting pressure up front. I'm with the others who said our DBs have been horsesh!t. Every one of them. Horrible.

How do you sack a QB 8 times and let him throw 70%? That absurd.

Comment

I'm with ya. The same article said something like the oposing QBs were comleting at around 84% on non-hurried throws. That's awful. But I'd like to know how LONG they held the ball on those non-hurries? I expect there are a lot of quick hits on slants and outs where the corner was sitting too deep, and NO DL was gonna be able to get pressure in time.

But I DID appreciate the atempt to look at QB pressure from the different perpective laid out in this artice. It has a validity as well. It's about consistency.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

We lead the NFL in sacks with the bulk of them coming from our DL. Our defensive backs (Michael Lewis included) have sucked in pass coverage.
            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
            Playoff Appearances:
            NFC Title Games:
            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Very interesting..................

Still posses alomst as many questions as it answers though.

Comment

I agree with BP. It is the defensive backs. Getting 8 sacks in a game is sick.

Lewis has been terrible in support against the pass. He is too quick to make tackles. He needs to lay back and provide help to the DB's, who are left alone way too much.

Last week, Manning was rushed and lofted passes that should have been interceptions instead of completions. The final touchdown was ridiculous.

But, I don't think there is anything to worry about. When Lito and Hood return, "WE'LL BE FINE THERE."
                "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Teams have caught up to this defensive scheme. I have been saying that for two years now. I am seeing a ton of underneath stuff being completed but they are also getting beat deep and its not just our backup corners its Sheldon Brown also. He got beat deep by Andre Johnson in Houston and get got beat by Burress last week, both times he took the wrong shoulder on the ball. The biggest thing is this they are getting beat on the blitz. I want to see how many passes are were completed against a 4 man rush vs a 7 man blitz.

The thing that pissed me off the most about last week was Manning at least three times including the play of the game threw balls out there while being pressured that should have been picked off. The most ill advised throws you can make and our corners, safties and linebackers couldn't make plays on them. That 20 yard duck to Toomer was a joke, that should have been picked off and ran the other way.
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I think it's our backs aren't timing their cover direction well- ie: East/West When they are running with the WR- they're not glancing back enough to get a check on the ball- Or they're looking at the QB and relying on coverage that's just not there (behind them). I now I truly miss Troy and Bobby a bit here... But we'll get it together. Sanfran may be the game it all comes together for the dbacks. Can Alex carve us or not? Is he ready- He is hotter than cold right now eh? I think its great timing for this game. we just need to demonstate that we learned and were better for it... lets see.
                    http://www.myspace.com/r3nj

Comment

Originally posted by taz
                      Teams have caught up to this defensive scheme. I have been saying that for two years now. I am seeing a ton of underneath stuff being completed but they are also getting beat deep and its not just our backup corners its Sheldon Brown also. He got beat deep by Andre Johnson in Houston and get got beat by Burress last week, both times he took the wrong shoulder on the ball. The biggest thing is this they are getting beat on the blitz. I want to see how many passes are were completed against a 4 man rush vs a 7 man blitz.

The thing that pissed me off the most about last week was Manning at least three times including the play of the game threw balls out there while being pressured that should have been picked off. The most ill advised throws you can make and our corners, safties and linebackers couldn't make plays on them. That 20 yard duck to Toomer was a joke, that should have been picked off and ran the other way.
                      * A modification to the scheme, in my opinion, is providing help over the top instead of letting Michael Lewis run around like a knucklehead.

Me thinks that Considine and Dawkins are going to be on the field together more and more to play the pass.

I also think that Dawkins may need to stop being used on the Blitz no matter how deadly he is - he needs to help deep. It's killing us.
                      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                      Playoff Appearances:
                      NFC Title Games:
                      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

It is that soft zone. Toomer although he did have two TDs over 20 yrds had 13 catches and most of them coming in front of the LBs. It doesnt matter if the front four is gettingpressure if the Manning or any other QB is in shotgun and tossing 7-12 yd hitches in front of the LBs. Then once they started sending the blitz it seems Lewis gets out of position and it is an easy big play.
                        I miss Philly!

Comment

13 sacks in 2 games (we had only 29 in 16 games last year, right?), but a 70% completion percentage? That's the strangest thing I've ever heard............

You'd think the Texans were actually in the game with stats like that. And as for the Jints, you'd think they weren't getting pushed around for 3 of the periods. Really weird.
                          "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                          — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                          - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

It's too early in the season to know for sure, but I'm suspicious about the DB's and the play calls. How can you have 13 sacks in two games but a 70% completion rate?

We all saw Manning chucking and ducking most of the game. So why did we lose that game? Missed opps on O, lucky recovery of fumble by Carter, questionable play-calls by AR, and poor play by our secondary including All-Pro Brown.

I don't see how this is on the DL.

Keep in mind that Bunkley will see more passing situations this week.
                            www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Hey where do you guys get your sack stats from? On NFL.com and ESPN they only show individual leaders.

Comment

Working...
                              X