No announcement yet.

If these guys want their big bucks they had better smarten up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, but not from COVID--- they are filling up due to elective surgeries are back on. And hospital beds are being filled up now with non-covid related people.

The bottom line still is the death rate.... we don't worry about how many people get the flu... only how many die from the flu.

Stop buying into the medias scare tactics.

Comment

I apologize in advance. I run the supply chain for 6 hospitals. I don’t pretend to know everything, but there is so much misinformation. Supplies and staffing are an issue. More because there is no effort to share and all providers are hoarding. The virus is real. Death rates for hospitalizations are better than 15%. People are I the hospitals for weeks and consuming far more resources than a typical patient. While simple science indicates more tests equal more positives, look at the admission rate to hospitals as well as positive results as a % of total. More tests do not mean more hospitalizations – more acutely ill patients mean more hospitalizations. Also look at the positive % of all tests. When this hits 10%, there is a big issue. In theory, more tests mean more positives, but should also mean more negatives. When the positive rate climbs over 10%, that are should plan for a surge. Additionally, those not hospitalized, but symptomatic have prolonged effects on lung capacity, stamina, balance and others. The mask is protecting others. I get not wearing a mask when you are alone, but when in public or with others, it should be done.

Please don’t confuse hospital volumes with surgical volumes. All staff is not equal and all resources are not the same. Prior to this, there was a national nursing shortage and people are leaving the healthcare field. The issue with hospital occupancy is the need for critical care beds and critical care nurses. N-95 masks are being diverted to storage by the government. I have confirmed this with senior members of the manufacturers. We cannot get chemo gowns, isolation gowns, gloves have now been placed on back order nationally. Not all N-95 masks are the same. They do require fit testing and training. PAPR and CAPR products have a significant lead time; if at all. I have orders that are 180 days out. Cleaning supplies are non-existent. KN-95 filter at a 40% rate and are of little use.

Wear a mask.

Comment

I agree fully--- wear a mask and social distance.... and if you are gonna wear a mask---- From the British Medical Journal

"Just a PSA--- Cloth face masks are 97% INEFFECTIVE for stopping the virus. So before you spend lots of time or money buying or making cloth masks.
        According to research in the British Medical Journal.
        N95 masks ------- 95% Effective.
        KN95 masks------ 95% Effective
        Surgical ------------56% Effective (common paper type masks)
        Cloth 4 layers-----13% Effective
        Coth single layer- 3% Effective.

Comment

MD,

That's very useful information. Thank you.

KY,
          The insights of someone who actually has first hand knowledge of the shortages in PPE supplies, suitable hospital beds and the appropriate medical staff to treat/care for those hospitalized is helpful in trying to grasp relative seriousness of this situation. I'm not going to stir the pot by getting into the political aspects of the Clovid issue beyond stating that hope, denial and "magical thinking" do not combine to make an effective treatment strategy for a pandemic.

As individual citizens that aren't involved in treatment/direct intervention, we can do little beyond masking in public, distancing, and being scrupulous about hand washing. At this point there certainly seem to be benefits in limiting transmission of the virus in those geographic areas that strongly emphasized masking and distancing.

I split time between upstate NY and the west coast of Florida. The greater NYC metropolitan area was a shit storm verging on disaster early this year. At the same time, other than urban southeast part of the state, Florida...like most of upstate NY... had fairly few positive cases. Cuomo(NY) clamped down forcefully while DeSantis (FL) did little other than defend his laissez faire approach to the virus by smugly repeating the mantra, "We're not NY".

New Yorkers 'got the memo' on the virus. When we returned home in late April, everyone was wearing a mask in public venues and distancing was universal. Virtually no one had been wearing masks when we left Florida in April. Our information currently is that mask wearing remains minimal and, sadly, a source of interpersonal friction.

By any objective measure...hospitalizations, % of positive tests relative to total tests, deaths per capita... NY has gained significant control of the virus spread. Florida, not just in the Miami Dade area as before, is now rapidly approaching the viral shit storm zone. The difference would seem to be largely a result of 1) guidance by the governor and the 2) the behavior of private citizens.

I wear a mask in public.

Comment

Thanks Fred and MD. It's great to have first hand information like this Fred!
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

agree kyfred. the ICU issue (covid related) and the hospitalization issue (covid related) are the tell tale signs IMM not the nasal surgeries. They can turn those off immediately. Additionally, the better treatment we can now give covid patients lowers the death rate and the age range of those getting hospitalized lowers the death rate so I'm not a believer in death rate as the indicator of a covid problem.
              MM - I actually agree with your take. If I am by myself working in the yard or in the street there is no need for a mask. If I am at the farmers market, park, playground or whatever I should wear a mask to protect others and, although not advocated, protect myself somewhat.
              Don't fall for the propaganda; don't fall for the media is the easy out for those that fall for the propaganda. Neither are reliable.
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Working...
              X