Draft Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Thoughts

I usually do a bunch of Mock Drafts and such but this year, with the Super Bowl victory and just life being busy I have not done one yet. I plan on doing one with my friends next weekend. Just some observations from what I saw in college football this year and where the Eagles could go.

1. I don't think any of these QB's are all that good. They all have some sort of major red flag whether is Mayfield's stature or others low completion %. None of them are in the league of Wentz or even Jared Goff. I think they are at best Dak Prescott type QB's in other words right system with good surrounding players.

2. I fear we will be facing Saquan Barkley 2 times a year and Zeke two times a year for at least the next five years. They will be considered two of the best if not the best backs in football both in the NFC East.

3. It is hard to predict where the Eagles will go at 32, but I think it will be something like best player available out of the following positions OT, TE, RB, or Safety. I also would not be surprised if they traded up some. Most think they will trade back, I think Howie will be aggressive and think outside the box.

I can't believe the draft is less than two weeks away. I am probably the most ill prepared that I Have been since I was a teenager for it.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

I wonder if they don't move up and get the Boise St. LB . They could do a lot on defense. They have Ngata, they could play a 3/4 or 3/3/5 as well as being in the 4/3. Schwartz could do a lot of things. As good as the D was in 2017, they could potentially be other worldly and give Schwartz some scheme variations and he could have a field day. Not to mention the potential of facing Zeke and Barkley twice a year, having one more athletic LB would be sweet. Whatever, I'll be happy as long as I don't do a WTF after the pick. Hit some homers Howie.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I have never, ever been a fan of moving down for that value crap! Never! I think that you're right that if we move it will be up and there's no way in hell that Howie can sit still for 4 or 5 hours so something's up.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

The last two drafts have been pretty good. Of course, there is Wentz and Barnett but the hits later in the draft have been good like Big V. Jalen Mills in 2016. Contributors like Gerry, Hollins, and Quails (mostly on special teams but for rookies that is ok).

Honestly, if Howie and Joe can pull off another draft like the past few we should be in good shape. Its all about value at the position they are drafting. Somebody is going to fall to the end of the first that they could pounce on.

Comment

If Jones can have a second year like Simmons did for the Sixers I'll be tickled. I think TE is okay unless an absolute steal comes their way. I'd like to see an impact LB to pair with, or cover the loss of, Jordan or a RB prospect. A future Safety, a future C or G, a DLineman prospect, or a CB prospect are on the list of things I would look for.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            If Jones can have a second year like Simmons did for the Sixers I'll be tickled. I think TE is okay unless an absolute steal comes their way. I'd like to see an impact LB to pair with, or cover the loss of, Jordan or a RB prospect. A future Safety, a future C or G, a DLineman prospect, or a CB prospect are on the list of things I would look for.
            Every year I get fired up for this thing and an hour into day 2 I go "why?" to myself. And this year there isn't even a day 2 lol! So about 10 PM draft day I'll check in and see if Howie is up to something I guess. Goodell is all hugs that day and suspends their asses the next year.
            Speaking of Goodell, I hope the fans stop all of the booing crap. That is really getting old. I don't even think that they know what they're booing about anyway to tell you the truth.

Comment

I give draft day as much thought as every year--- not much. Speculating isn't my thing, sometimes I do care about positions, but I never want to think I know more than the professionals do, especially about college kids!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                I give draft day as much thought as every year--- not much. Speculating isn't my thing, sometimes I do care about positions, but I never want to think I know more than the professionals do, especially about college kids!
                Don't feel bad. The professionals don't get it right very often either.

Comment

Yea I'm a firm believer fans have no idea about players. They see talent but they aren't in on interviews so they really know next to nothing about their football intellect, their personal life, how they fit into your program, and their ambitions. That's not to say I don't like this college player or that but I don't feel qualified to say how they will succeed on the Eagles. As with MD I am more about positions that I think the birds might need. Of course the birds generally have different ideas that I do about their needs
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

I think the Giants take Chubb the DE and then come back in the 2nd round or Michel, Guice or Jones from USC at RB. That's even a scarier thought to me

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                      Yea I'm a firm believer fans have no idea about players. They see talent but they aren't in on interviews so they really know next to nothing about their football intellect, their personal life, how they fit into your program, and their ambitions. That's not to say I don't like this college player or that but I don't feel qualified to say how they will succeed on the Eagles. As with MD I am more about positions that I think the birds might need. Of course the birds generally have different ideas that I do about their needs
                      I agree but one of their FAs just got cut and another tossed a lady out of a wheelchair so they're not as informed as you might think lol.

Comment

I love the draft. Every year I scout like crazy and try to pinpoint the best Eagle targets.

I'll be sending out my 3 targets for each Eagles pick soon

This year is a huge challenge though. 32nd pick and no 2nd or 3rd makes it interesting

As for QBs. I think Rosen is going to be a stud

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                          I agree but one of their FAs just got cut and another tossed a lady out of a wheelchair so they're not as informed as you might think lol.
                          What FA got cut? I would be careful on the Bennet one he is innocent until proven guilty too march inconsistency in the charges. I know he is a bad dude but that situation is just too fishy for me to talk like it happened. This world has forget the innocent until proven guilty everyone is guilty anymore until proven innocent. And then when they are innocent and proven to be that way not a word is said. Sorry for the soap box it’s more than the Bennett situation it’s just overall everything is guilty all the time. The advent of social media has caused this, everyone oppions are taken as gospel.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                            What FA got cut? I would be careful on the Bennet one he is innocent until proven guilty too march inconsistency in the charges. I know he is a bad dude but that situation is just too fishy for me to talk like it happened. This world has forget the innocent until proven guilty everyone is guilty anymore until proven innocent. And then when they are innocent and proven to be that way not a word is said. Sorry for the soap box it’s more than the Bennett situation it’s just overall everything is guilty all the time. The advent of social media has caused this, everyone oppions are taken as gospel.
                            Come on taz, you know what I was talking about. Worly was a partier that Baltimore wanted to get rid of and Seattle was tired of dealing with Bennett too. Let's not split hairs here. Also it seems to me that a hell of a lot more people get off Scot free for crimes or slapped on the wrist than get railroaded. You really don't expect much to come out of the Bennett deal do you? Just ask OJ how the system works.

Here's a good one. Baltimore moves Worley because they can't get him under control and now they want to talk to Bryant!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              Come on taz, you know what I was talking about. Worly was a partier that Baltimore wanted to get rid of and Seattle was tired of dealing with Bennett too. Let's not split hairs here. Also it seems to me that a hell of a lot more people get off Scot free for crimes or slapped on the wrist than get railroaded. You really don't expect much to come out of the Bennett deal do you? Just ask OJ how the system works.

Here's a good one. Baltimore moves Worley because they can't get him under control and now they want to talk to Bryant!
                              Except we traded Smith to Carolina for Worley.

Comment

Working...
                              X