Foles trade scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
    One thing that the "They are going to keep Foles" folks I think are overlooking. When was the last time this organization acted conservatively in any way? Trading Foles is a risky move, but with the upside of having $$$ to sign other players, and getting younger with draft picks. Standing pat with Foles is the safe move. It seems to me that Pederson and Howie have made taking chances in an effort to improve their signature. Unless Nick doesn't want to leave, as long as the Eagles get a decent return, I think h's gone.

Thought it was so interesting that both the Cardinals head coach AND GM mentioned TRADING for a QB. Seems like the most ideal landing spot for Nick would be Arizona. Where there's smoke????
    I understand your point and it is probably the way it will play out. I personally am just concerned that Wentz will not be Wentz until at least mid-season and I do not want to take a chance that gives up the 2018 season. Also my head tells me that during the season some contending team might lose a starting QB and be willing to deal strongly in our favor for Nick.

I also understand that is taking a risk but IMM it is a way not to give up on 2018 and still get the best return for Nick.

Again NONE of us knows what Nick actually wants-- and I think he will have SOME input. All I know was that I liked winning in 2017 and I want to feel that way again in 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
      I understand your point and it is probably the way it will play out. I personally am just concerned that Wentz will not be Wentz until at least mid-season and I do not want to take a chance that gives up the 2018 season. Also my head tells me that during the season some contending team might lose a starting QB and be willing to deal strongly in our favor for Nick.

I also understand that is taking a risk but IMM it is a way not to give up on 2018 and still get the best return for Nick.

Again NONE of us knows what Nick actually wants-- and I think he will have SOME input. All I know was that I liked winning in 2017 and I want to feel that way again in 2018!
      SOME being the key word there MD. It's a little tricky on a couple of levels.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
        I understand your point and it is probably the way it will play out. I personally am just concerned that Wentz will not be Wentz until at least mid-season
        Not only that, but he's going to miss the entire offseason, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me to see him miss training camp.

Comment

Trading Nick is not as simple as it sounds

There is another factor here that has to be considered-his contract. On the surface it looks like the receiving team gets a super deal with Nick, 3 years at $5.5 million per year. The only problem with that contract is that it was written with the presumption that Nick was going to be a backup who might someday be able to compete for a starting position. That's all changed now. Whoever trades for him is going to have to rip that contract up I imagine before Nick puts a toe on the field and you know how complicated things get when agents get involved. You can't negotiate with Nick while he's an Eagle so you really have no idea what he's going to cost you.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            There is another factor here that has to be considered-his contract. On the surface it looks like the receiving team gets a super deal with Nick, 3 years at $5.5 million per year. The only problem with that contract is that it was written with the presumption that Nick was going to be a backup who might someday be able to compete for a starting position. That's all changed now. Whoever trades for him is going to have to rip that contract up I imagine before Nick puts a toe on the field and you know how complicated things get when agents get involved. You can't negotiate with Nick while he's an Eagle so you really have no idea what he's going to cost you.
            Foles has one year left on his deal. The last two years void automatically. If another team truly want Foles as a long-term starter, yes, they would need to negotiate a deal right away. As a one-year QB to groom a drafted one, it could be different. But doubt that latter position is worth giving up a 2nd round pick for. Foles has a $3 million roster bonus on March 18; if traded before that the other team pays that and the Eagles get relief, if traded later the Eagles only get about $2.2 million of cap savings this year, and Foles is even cheaper to the other team, which may raise the compensation the Eagles would need.

Comment

Working...
            X