Four weeks ago tonight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four weeks ago tonight...

We actually won the damn Super Bowl! I've told myself that a lot during the past month. We really won the Super Bowl! No longer any need to hear the incessant shit about never winning the big one.

Now, intellectually I know that we won it...finally...before some of us old timers bought the farm. Not in time for Fresh to celebrate here with us physically but I believe with certainty that, somewhere, he jumped up and down like a little kid, yelled his butt off 'til he was hoarse and cried tears of joy with the rest of us.

For me it still hasn't fully sunk in emotionally. I was looking at some unrelated videos on You Tube tonight and unintentionally ran across some clips of observations from talking heads commenting on how/why they believed the Eagles beat the Pats. And I was reminded again... we really won it.

Most of them had it right. The Eagles did not win it because they were lucky. They won (we won) because, man for man, the Birds are the better team. Because Doug stayed true to himself and remained unbelievably aggressive where 99 of 100 other coaches in the same circumstances would have played it safe on 6 or 7 key plays were Doug instead went 'balls to the wall'. Because Nick drew on some reservoir of inner calm and poise that I believe no one knew he had and played a game that eerily paralleled Robert Redford's baseball allegory, The Natural. Because the offensive line imposed their will on the Pats defense throughout the game. And because the team, as a group, believed in one another and believed they not only could but should beat the obnoxiously condescending Patriots.

I talked to j-bird yesterday. He called me because he needs a little help with a project at home. I haven't seen him since the night of the game. We're going to have a few beers and celebrate. I did the jump up and down and yell and holler thing, of course, but that night it was such a shock and a relief that they had actually won it. John just kinda sat in his chair like he was in shock afterwards. I still find it hard to believe.

Heck, after Kelly's firing, and Doug's hiring, imagine if someone told you that, in two years, on the same weekend, Dawkins would get elected to the HOF, and the Eagles would win the super bowl, and they'd beat NE with Nick Foles at QB. Who in bloody hell would have believed that shit??

Comment

I watched for the 15th or so time and I'm still waiting to lose one of them
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I could easily have written both of those posts lol.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I still pinch myself and think, did it really happen? And then I am so damn happy again!!
          Last night I watched the Vikings playoff game again and that was still fun too! I've preordered the Eagles season video including SB, believe its not going to be shipped until the end of April tho. That'll be fun!

Comment

Working...
          X