• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd love to see this dork's bluff called

WR Jarvis Landry "considering not playing" under franchise tag
    Mar
    3/3/2018 12:42:06 PM
    |More
    Impending free agent wide receiver Jarvis Landry said on his Twitter account Saturday that he is "considering not playing" on the franchise tag.

"The franchise tag is not a good deal for me," Landry continued. "In that year anything can happen. Look at guys like Ryan Shazier, who may not have an opportunity to play again." The Miami Dolphins slapped the franchise tag on the 25-year-old last month but most reports claim they did so with the intention of trading him rather than actually paying him. Landry is not the first player who has claimed he might not play under the tag but it is hard to believe he would actually forgo game checks-particularly considering that the payday for a tagged wide receiver is expected to be north of $16 million in 2018. That is a lot of money to pass up-especially for a receiver who primarily operates from the slot and is not considered a game-changer in the OBJ or A.J. Green mode. The Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens, and San Francisco 49ers have all been mentioned as teams interested in acquiring Landry from the Dolphins.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

10.1 ypc in his career, he should feel disrespected
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Sometimes these guys need to stop listening to their agents. Him sitting out a year means he comes back a year older, other younger cheaper WRs will have developed and his diva like personality will still be intact

Comment

Won’t have to wait too long for that to happen

Landry reportedly informed Dolphins that he’s signing the franchise tag tender offer.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-franchise-tag

Comment

16 mill for someone with a YPC avg of a RB. Granted he scored 9 times, but 8.8 YPC.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Game of chicken. They threaten franchise tag - he threatens to sign it; 16 mil is a pretty good payday. Of course it doesn't bring the high end signing bonus but I doubt they want to pay him 16 mil.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

no signing bonus ? IMO he's getting about 8 mill with an 8 mill bonus. And fuck him by the way

Comment

I wonder how much income insurance is for a pro player. If players are really worried about a career ending injury occurring on a 1 year deal, they should get a multi-million insurance policy that kicks in if the player is determined to have a career threatening injury. I’m sure it won’t be cheap but if the team pays for a portion and the player pays for a portion it will give them peace of mind and allow teams to get through this kind of bullshit more quickly. The next CBA really should include something on this type of insurance and define what teams are esponsible for and what the player has to contribute.
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

They are trying to trade him anyway. Nobody is going to pay him what he wants. I would think ff he can't be traded they'll drop the tag. The guy is pretty inconsistent whenever I see Miami play.

Comment

Once he signs the tag they are on the hook if I am not mistaken. That is the threat these guys have when tagged. If he thinks the team may not want to pay him the going rate and if he threatens to sign it he may be hoping they pull it back. If he does sign it he is really getting paid pretty well for the year.
                    Music had it right though. Look at it like a one year deal with an 8 mil signing bonus and an 8 mil salary. I'd sign that
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

Even if I had a career and it ended with an injury, 16 million would make for a nice life. These guys act like it’s gonna be poverty.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                        Once he signs the tag they are on the hook if I am not mistaken. That is the threat these guys have when tagged. If he thinks the team may not want to pay him the going rate and if he threatens to sign it he may be hoping they pull it back. If he does sign it he is really getting paid pretty well for the year.
                        Music had it right though. Look at it like a one year deal with an 8 mil signing bonus and an 8 mil salary. I'd sign that
                        I think the tag can be pulled but once it is they can't use it again. Most likely another team will show interest and they work out a deal that is a lot less than the tag. I doubt that the Fins want to pay this guy $15 or so million but what do I know?

Comment

Guess I'm not positive 60 but I thought they could pull before he signs it but once he signs it they are on the hook
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

I think this means that you are right ND

Next Gen Stats
                            Around the NFL

What to know about NFL franchise tag designations

Print

By Kevin Patra
                            Around the NFL writer
                            Published: Feb. 15, 2017 at 09:08 a.m. Updated: Feb. 15, 2017 at 04:16 p.m.

Welcome to tagging season.

Wednesday marks the first day NFL teams can designate the franchise or transition tag on players. The two-week window for teams to designate tags runs until March 1 at 4 p.m. EST.

2018 NFL DRAFT
                            ▶ WRs in Round 1 not good value?
                            ▶ 5 teams with most riding on combine
                            ▶ Biggest Q's for top QB prospects
                            ▶ Reuter: Four-round Mock draft
                            ▶ Top 10 players in free agency/draft
                            ▹ QBs | WRs | DBs | RBs | Pass Rushers
                            FREE AGENCY
                            ▶ Top 101 FAs in 2018
                            ▶ Free agent fits for each team: AFC | NFC
                            WHICH TEAMS NEED AN UPGRADE AT ...
                            ▶ Wide Receiver
                            ▶ Running back
                            NFL Network's Gregg Rosenthal broke down the potential franchise tag options for all 32 NFL teams, but what exactly does using the tag mean?

NFL clubs have three options when it comes to flexing their tag muscle: 1) Non-exclusive franchise tag, 2) Exclusive franchise tag, 3) Transition tag.

Players under the designation have until 4 p.m. EDT on July 15 negotiate a multiyear contract with the team. After this date, the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2017 season, and the contract cannot be extended until after the club's last regular-season game.

Let's run down the three options:

Non-exclusive franchise tag: This is the most commonly used tag. When most people refer to the "franchise tag" it's generally the non-exclusive version to which they are discussing. It is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position over the last five years, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player can negotiate with other teams. The player's current team has the right to match any offer, or receive two first-round picks as compensation.

Exclusive franchise tag: A one-year tender offer to a player for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position for the current year, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player's team has all negotiating rights to the player. The bump in pay scale (current average salary versus averaging past five years of data) means only the crème de la crème get this tag (think: Drew Brees or Von Miller).

Transition tag: Think of this as the "you are pretty good, and we might want to keep you, but aren't willing to put a ring on you ourselves" tag. The transition designation is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount that is the average of the top 10 salaries at the position -- as opposed to top five. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player might receive from another team, but no compensation if the team chooses not to match.

Each team can only use one of the above tags in a given year -- meaning they can't designate both a franchise and transition player. A player can be tagged up to three times by his team, with a bump in pay each time.

Teams can rescind the franchise or transition tag -- as we saw with Josh Norman last year -- if the offer sheet hasn't been signed. Once the sheet is signed, the player's salary is guaranteed for that season. A rescinded tag counts as a tag, meaning a team can't designate one player, rescind it and use a new tag on another player in the same year.

The current franchise numbers aren't available until the NFL's salary cap opens, but below is a rundown of the 2016 franchise tag salaries to use as a baseline (assume these numbers will get bumped up). Via the NFLPA:

Quarterback: $19.953 million
                            Defensive end: $15.701 million
                            Wide Receiver: $14.599 million
                            Linebacker: $14.129 million
                            Cornerback: $13.952 million
                            Offensive line: $13.706 million
                            Defensive tackle: $13.615 million
                            Running back: $11.789 million
                            Safety: $10.806 million
                            Tight End: $9.118 million
                            Kicker/Punter: $4.599 million

Comment

He must be broke already

Source: Jarvis Landry signs franchise tag
                              Mar
                              3/8/2018 10:42:51 AM
                              |More
                              Miami Dolphins wide receiver Jarvis Landry, who was franchised by the team last month, signed his franchise tag Thursday, a source tells Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Landry can now be traded, but no trade is close at this time, a source tells Schefter.

A week ago, ESPN confirmed an NFL Network report that the Dolphins had given Landry's agent permission to seek a trade.

The franchise tag is expected to pay Landry around $16.2 million in 2018.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org

Comment

Working...
                              X