Observations from Yesterdays game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tobin tried to play with time running out

Doug Pederson did not know Matt Tobin was hurt on the team’s final play on offense, pens Dave Zangaro of CSNPhilly.com.

“I honestly did not know that he was injured on the play before,” Pederson said. “There was a pile and he came out of the bottom of the pile, but didn’t see anything at that time. On the last play, yeah, had I known, maybe I could have done something with a back or a tight end over there. Thing is, Matt did a great job that whole drive blocking him. And a lot of times they were line gaming, they were stunting and [Ryan] Kerrigan was coming inside. It just so happened on that last one, he was a little bit wider. And obviously on film, Matt, just an unfortunate situation, just couldn’t push off the knee.”

Tobin was only in the game because Allen Barbre suffered a hamstring injury. Barbre was only playing right tackle because Halapoulivaati Vaitai has an MCL sprain and has been out. Vaitai had only been playing because Lane Johnson was suspended for 10 games.

So with the game on the line, the Eagles were down to their fourth option at right tackle … with an MCL sprain that’s serious enough that it might end his season.

Had Pederson known Tobin was injured, he could have offered help by way of tight end or running back. Or he could have put reserve lineman Josh Andrews at guard and moved Isaac Seumalo to right tackle.

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/20...K64jpdILypl.99
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

People have to stop looking at those 1st 3 games as if they were the norm, rather than the games since. I agree injuries have been brutal but the bottom line is that the O-L was at best mediocre to start with. Hell, they were not that good last year and they did little to improve.

Wentz is the franchise........ That must be protected. The OL has to a top priority this year. This it will be better with Johnson back is just wishful thinking. He only brings them back to mediocrity. Hate to say it but we must learn from the Cowboys.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
        People have to stop looking at those 1st 3 games as if they were the norm, rather than the games since. I agree injuries have been brutal but the bottom line is that the O-L was at best mediocre to start with. Hell, they were not that good last year and they did little to improve.

Wentz is the franchise........ That must be protected. The OL has to a top priority this year. This it will be better with Johnson back is just wishful thinking. He only brings them back to mediocrity. Hate to say it but we must learn from the Cowboys.
        I can't argue about it forever. That starting line was surprisingly good because those backups learned a lot under Stoutland last year and that's why the Eagles kept him. They are a lot better than you think but have been shuffled all over the place and playing out of position every week as they drop. That is hard enough to do when you have to shuffle one starter, not going through every backup on your team. There is no continuity now and it shows. We need a replacement for Peters' leaving but other than that I'm comfortable. Again, injuries and Numb nuts getting suspended killed them. There are legitimate excuses why that oline isn't performing right now. There is no reason for a complete overhaul that you are suggesting IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post

No doubt Wentz must be protected. The Oline at this point is a work in progress. They used two picks this year on the line, they are going to pick at some point at least another lineman next year (How high will depend on who is there). Johnson and Brooks are the building pieces, Barbre probably has a few years left, Kelce and Peters at their salaries are replaceable. However those replacements might be here already in Seumolo and Big V. I also would look to bring back Wiz he has played pretty darn well this year (he has been beat a few times but really held his own).
          I don't see the Eagles spending first round picks for the next three years on offensive lineman like Dallas did though. I think they will continue to draft and develop. Chippy really screwed this team by only drafting one offensive lineman the entire time he was here.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Oh I wasn't suggesting that they use 3 #1 picks my point was that it HAS to be a priority. Has to be, or we could end up in a couple with a decent O-Line and no QB. Wentz has the potential to be here for 15 years, and play very well,,,,,, Protect him.

Just think if we had given McNabb some decent WR's in those earlier years.............

Comment

I believe we have to go OL with our first round pick this year. We can get a WR through FA (DJax?). If we keep Wentz clean, he can shine.
              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                I believe we have to go OL with our first round pick this year. We can get a WR through FA (DJax?). If we keep Wentz clean, he can shine.
                I agree both should be the priority either by draft or FA. Your order makes the most sense if that's how the draft falls. I don't think that you draft any OT just because he's there when it comes to your pick though. We've failed too many times in the past trying to do that. I have heard that the draft is rich in wrs though so maybe we should pay a free agent tackle? I'm not sure how that would sit with 3 high paid tackles getting paid big bucks though unless one agrees to play guard for a year. that's a little tricky.

MD, I agree that the Oline is such a mess right now with injuries and such that the right thing to do might be to just sit Wentz but I know that is just a pipedream. The main reason that I'll be watching this year is hoping that he doesn't' get hurt!

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                  I don't think we should force a 1st round pick based on need. When you do that you end up with Danny Watkins. While they do need to address the offensive line, the big thing they need to do is build depth. That can be done throughout the draft. I am not opposed to a first round offensive lineman as long as they are a first round talent.
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Working...
                  X