The State of the Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of the Team

I know we have 3 games left, but there seems to be a ton of rumbling from sports writers like the hack Marcus Hayes to even some of our posters calling for firings because of this season.I am here to say I don't get it. Before the season most logical fans, writers etc had this team anywhere from 4-12 to 7-9. That was before they traded Bradford and before they knew Lane Johnson was going to miss most of the season for his lapse of judgment (to put it kindly).

I am here to say that this team is exactly where most of us thought they would be. They lack talent in some keys areas like corner back. They have talent in areas like WR but that talent is not translating onto the field. (Lets not forget that Agholor was a 1st round pick and both DGB and Mathews were 2nd round picks). They have a rookie QB who has a world of promise but he has played like a rookie QB at times, some key turnovers, missed passes, but he has also suffered from poor play calling, drops etc. In other words this is why this team is 5-8.

Lets also consider this, Roseman was put back in charge in Janaury Lurie chose his coach in January . Roseman was not able to retool the scouting department till after Aprils draft (just the way it works in the NFL). So Douglas and company have been here since May. It's December . The entire structure has not even been in place a year. Sure they hit on some moves (Wentz, Bradford trade, McCloud, Brooks, Bradham) and they have missed on some moves (Curry, McKelvin etc.).

There is still a ways to go with this team. Some of it is personel, some of it coaching (need to learn from mistakes of this year etc.), and some of it is players needing to dedicate themselves to getting better (Hello Agholor).

If this team is still struggling under 500 at this time next year then it will make sense to look at changes. I think we all have to be patient and see what this team does this offseason.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Good post taz. I just might add that I don't think anybody including myself has called for Doug's head. Some people just have doubts that he's going to be a winner.

I think the biggest disappoint for this team is Agholor. Everybody presumed that his poor performance was due to injury last year and that's just not the case. Gordy finally pulled the trigger on him and sat him down and it seemed to work on Sunday but that's only one game.

As for effort, again I think Doug was way too soft to praise his team for a solid effort last Sunday. That's stuff that you say after you lost a SB. Effort should be the normal for any NFL team. I was happy that he called them out in public (in his kind of meek way) because I don't think that he's the kind of guy to really get in a guys face when he's screwing up. It was good to see that the team responded but it was only one game. Let's see how they finish. I remember in Reid's rookie year they finished on a high note and won their last two games. That gave them the springboard to make it to the NFC finals the next season.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I'll say it again---- "They are who we thought they were".

And if you expected more -- well that's on you.

Comment

Every season I jump in with some crazy prediction, but I see a QB with a tremendous upside and off the chart intangibles. I totally expect Carson to take these youngsters somewhere to work on their routes and signals this offseason. Not to mention bonding with them as well. They have a common bond of a disastrous season together, may they continue their growth. I know Doug has made some head scratching moves, but I believe he has what it takes to be a good coach and am glad we went young here as well. I've grown tired of the recycled HC turnstile . If they get a take the lid off the top WR and can keep the RBs on the field, I expect marked improvement on O. On D, I think we can compete with the addition of an exceptional CB. Let's give them a chance.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I thought we were a 8-8 team with potential for 10-6 if we stayed relatively healthy. Our O-line injuries and especially Lane's suspension really set us back.
          More than anything we are missing some veteran leadership that will kick -ss in the locker room. Too many of our guys are used to losing.
          Maybe Wentz takes that next step next year and gets after guys.
          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

totally agree. I predicted 6-10 and thought Pederson would be an embarrasment before the season started. I may have nailed the record, but will admit that I like Pederson. He has made some mistakes, but I think he has done way better than alot of other head coaches would have done with this cast of characters and a rookie QB.

This off-season is HUGE. If done right, this team can contend next year. If they don't, I will be pissed.

with so many needs, I think I'd try to restructure Peters to come back and keep the line of Peters, Brooks, Kelce, Barbre, Johnson for next year.

Then our biggest needs in order are: 1. WR 2.Corner 3.Pass Rush 4. Halfback

Only FA we have worth keeping is Bennie. I say we give him a nice new deal.

Only 2017 contract guy to definitely let go is Barwin. Such a good guy, but has nothing to offer this D anymore.

Smallwood does not look like an every down back. Mathews is always hurt. Sproles is old and undersized. Would love Fournette or Chubb or some of the many talented HB's in this draft

Comment

Sproles is worth keeping but we can't play him as much as we did this year. I would get rid of Mathews and draft a power back like Fournette to replace him.

Dump Barwin. Sign JPP to replace him.

Sign a reliable receiver that catches the ball and is tough like Garcon.

Draft BPA in every round.
              Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                Every season I jump in with some crazy prediction, but I see a QB with a tremendous upside and off the chart intangibles. I totally expect Carson to take these youngsters somewhere to work on their routes and signals this offseason. Not to mention bonding with them as well. They have a common bond of a disastrous season together, may they continue their growth. I know Doug has made some head scratching moves, but I believe he has what it takes to be a good coach and am glad we went young here as well. I've grown tired of the recycled HC turnstile . If they get a take the lid off the top WR and can keep the RBs on the field, I expect marked improvement on O. On D, I think we can compete with the addition of an exceptional CB. Let's give them a chance.
                Ya know MM our CBs looked pretty good early in the year until the pass rush disappeared. Not quite sure what happened there.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                  Sproles is worth keeping but we can't play him as much as we did this year. I would get rid of Mathews and draft a power back like Fournette to replace him.

Dump Barwin. Sign JPP to replace him.

Sign a reliable receiver that catches the ball and is tough like Garcon.

Draft BPA in every round.
                  I would dump Barwin, R. Mathews, M. Kendricks and restructure Peters contact so that his cap hit is about half of what it is now. If he won't then I would let him go.

Signings
                  Stephon Gilmore CB (from Buffalo played under Schwartz) - Not a top level Josh Norman but pretty close. Would solve on CB position

Nick Perry LB (from Green Bay). Upgrade from Kendricks and hedge against Bradham getting suspended.

Kamar Aikan WR (From Baltimore). Not gaudy numbers but a speed guy who Joe Douglas knows well. Bad year to need a WR.

As far as DE goes I would look at a guy like Devin Taylor young guy just starting to come into his own.

The draft is where we can upgrade Wentz weapons the most.
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post

LOL! Been saying it all year buddy. It's become even more and more apparent as the season has progressed.

I never called for Doug's head, but I thought that if he lost the team as it crashed, he might end up getting canned. But, we all know Lurie is patient. Short of a complete loss of team confidence, he'll be back. And, I'm fine with it.

This offseason is so critical. They all are, but in order to be elite you have to draft well. You just have to. We all know the key areas. A blind man can see where they need help. At this point, I want to see progression going forward. I want to see them increase the talent base. I want to see the coaching staff progress. I want to see signs that Wentz is continuing to develop going forward.

Progress. Sounds easy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post

And I'll say it again too--it's fun bullshitting about it!

Comment

It isn't easy to fix everything in one year. And it isn't easy in two. If they hit on a couple of upgrades some of the other players will step I believe
                        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                          It isn't easy to fix everything in one year. And it isn't easy in two. If they hit on a couple of upgrades some of the other players will step I believe
                          Seriously, how the hell do you rebuild anyway? I'm serious. Guys come in and out the door how do you hang onto your guys? It's frustrating. Maybe Wentz is 2,3,4 years away. It seems to me that franchise QBs are the only constant.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                            Seriously, how the hell do you rebuild anyway? I'm serious. Guys come in and out the door how do you hang onto your guys? It's frustrating. Maybe Wentz is 2,3,4 years away. It seems to me that franchise QBs are the only constant.
                            And if Wentz is 4 years away, then when year 5+ comes he gets his big contract and you have to let other talented guys walk.
                            Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Working...
                            X