Foles trade scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foles trade scenarios

I have been thinking about this since even before the Super bowl. I would love to have Foles back but I think for Foles and even for the NFL he should be a starter in this league. The Eagles do have value within Foles, not 2 first and 2 seconds as one analyst says and not a 3rd round pick as a Shefter says. His value is equivalent to a mid to early twenties first round pick. Now that does not mean a first round pick its means value of.

So here are some trade scenarios I think would work.

1. Arizona - to me this is the best fit. Vet receiver in Fitz and tremendous running back (coming back from injury). I think a 2nd round pick plus a young player like Budda Baker, Haasan Redick or low end Scobby Wright. Baker and Redick would fill a need, young safety or young linebacker and even though they were recent draft picks Zona could make do without them.

2. Buffalo - Another team that is a good fit. They are loaded with young and mid career offensive tackles. Cody Glenn is a guy who can step in and be an upgrade over Big V and allow Jason Peters to move on. Glenn is 28 so you can get 7 more years out of him. Now he is paid well so that factors in. Maybe a 2nd, 2019 4th and Glenn gets it done. Another scenario is Buffalo gives up 22nd pick (they also have 21). They could give up a 2nd and give us back our 3rd from Darby. Lots of scenarios here.

3. Minnesota - I doubt we would trade him there unless its a major overpay. After all they may be our competition. However Diplippo may not want any of the three free agents there and be pining for Foles. The 30th pick plus another higher pick would be what it takes because of the competition factor. Howie would probably do a deal with Buffalo at a slightly lower value than Minnesota.

4. Jets - The Jets seemed prime to take a QB in the draft, However, they may shift direction and trade for Foles. Todd Bowles was here when Foles was drafted. So he has some background on him. I think the Jets could offer a 3rd rounder and a player like Darron Lee (who is a stud linebacker in the making). They also could do something like Bryce Petty and a 2nd rounder. I wouldn't put it past Howie to acquire another QB in a deal for Foles.

There could be some surprises in here to like the Colts. Does it make sense for them to trade for Foles? It might, especially since there are no guarantees on Luck. Trading their 2nd round pick 35 overall makes a Ton of sense for them. Even if he is just an insurance policy. Because they could trade Luck if he is healthy. HMMM and they still keep the overall 3rd pick.

Overall I think Foles is probably the 2nd best QB that will be available. Cousins will get a huge pay day and since he is a free agent and it only takes money he becomes a better option than Foles. After that would you rather, Keenum or Bradford, or Tyrod Taylor etc. None of them are proven winners like Foles.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Taz I like swapping first round picks with Arizona and maybe a late round pick. Zona is the team that makes the most sense to me. They have cap room and clearly need a QB. Nick would likely approve of this too IMO. My dark horse is Indy. If Luck is indeed done.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Ugh. I know it's tempting. And, I don't know how it's going to play out, but I'd still prefer that they keep him.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
        Ugh. I know it's tempting. And, I don't know how it's going to play out, but I'd still prefer that they keep him.
        This is going to be interesting. There are clearly two camps. One that says don't get rid of him at any cost, the other is we need to trade him. No middle ground here.

At the end of the day: This is Carson's team. If we can use Nick to build a better team around Carson then it would be irresponsible not to. Insurance is just that insurance.

Now I will say this, I only deal Nick if they get back something of value that will help this team. A late 3rd round pick etc is not enough. I think the at minimum a quality starting player, whether it happens with a high draft pick or a draft pick and a player.

I don't think in the history of football there has ever been a situation like this. Clearly we have two top 20 QB's might be even Top 15. You can't start them both. Very interesting what happens next.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
          I don't think in the history of football there has ever been a situation like this. Clearly we have two top 20 QB's might be even Top 15. You can't start them both. Very interesting what happens next.
          That's for sure. You also have to wonder how Nick feels. He's been the starter on bad teams, and almost retired. I honestly think he will be just fine coming back next season as the backup, and rolling with the team. That's one great thing about this group, they really are a close knit team. Chemistry is a big part of what got them over the top.

You also have to think about what other teams think. Foles played great in the playoffs. No doubt about that. But, he also was surrounded by great coaching and players. Can he replicate that success with the Jets? Or even the Cards? And, what are you willing to give up, because the price is going to be very steep.

We'll see, but I still hope they keep him.

Comment

How much is a QB worth that can win 3 straight playoff games against top teams and win you a Super Bowl? There are a lot of top “franchise” QBs that haven’t come close to having the success Foles has had in his 4 playoff starts. His playoff stats are off the charts.
            With Wentz’s health uncertain, I don’t think you trade him for anything. Not even two #1s.
            Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Oh , I think there is a middle camp-- at least I reside there. You keep Nick until you are positive Wentz will be good--- gets Suffield a bit more experience--- and I guarantee you some team will be looking for a starting QB sometime during the season - and if not you get a compensatory pick if Nick leaves after that.

Nick is insurance--- and as we all know you have to pay for insurance!
              Last edited by MDFAN; 02-22-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I wish there was more info on Sudfeld. If he can be THE GUY, it would be easier to pull the trigger. I do think he has something about him or we never would have carried him all year.
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                  Oh , I think there is a middle camp-- at least I reside there. You keep Nick until you are positive Wentz will be good--- gets Suffield a bit more experience--- and I guarantee you some team will be looking for a starting QB sometime during the season - and if not you get a compensatory pick if Nick leaves after that.

Nick is insurance--- and as we all know you have to pay for insurance!
                  I agree with this. Another middle camp is you keep Nick unless a team blows you away with an offer. I’ve read they are high on Sudfeld. I’m certainly not opposed to getting a haul and starting Sudfeld until Wentz is ready. With the job our coaches did this year, anything is possible.

Comment

I also think Sudfield is quality and can easily fill the role of Nick. Having said that I have always been on Nick's bandwagon and would like him to stay. I actually agree with someone above who says Nick may very well be content to come back as a back up. I don't think he is like most players who will run after a dime. I think family and happiness and contentment mean more to him than a lot of guys.
                    At the same time I don't believe any player is untouchable. There is no way they will turn down two #1s unless Nick is adamant about not leaving. Personally I think a high one or a low one and something else; either a player or another lower pick is the minimum price.
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                      This is going to be interesting. There are clearly two camps. One that says don't get rid of him at any cost, the other is we need to trade him. No middle ground here.

At the end of the day: This is Carson's team. If we can use Nick to build a better team around Carson then it would be irresponsible not to. Insurance is just that insurance.

Now I will say this, I only deal Nick if they get back something of value that will help this team. A late 3rd round pick etc is not enough. I think the at minimum a quality starting player, whether it happens with a high draft pick or a draft pick and a player.

I can think of a couple of close ones:

Johnny U and Earl Morrill

Norm Van Brocklin and Sonny J (with the brilliant Eagles trading him for the immortal Norm Snead)

There weren't that many teams back then so most teams had good backups. If an offense wasn't moving they would bring the other guy in.
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Sorry guys but some of you are throwing around terms like Sudfeld can "easily" fill nick's role.... sorry but we do not know that at all. And I do not think any team is gonna give up 2 #1's for Nick --- unless it is a mid season have to scenario!

Not sure just how much confidence "WE" should have in Sudfeld--- I remember Bobby Hoying.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                          Sorry guys but some of you are throwing around terms like Sudfeld can "easily" fill nick's role.... sorry but we do not know that at all. And I do not think any team is gonna give up 2 #1's for Nick --- unless it is a mid season have to scenario!

Not sure just how much confidence "WE" should have in Sudfeld--- I remember Bobby Hoying.
                          I don't like them being an injury away from a guy that was on crutches less than a month ago to finding out the hard way whether Sudfeld can fill Nick's role or not. If some team really wants Foles, they are going to have to make an offer that can't be refused, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                            I don't like them being an injury away from a guy that was on crutches less than a month ago to finding out the hard way whether Sudfeld can fill Nick's role or not. If some team really wants Foles, they are going to have to make an offer that can't be refused, IMO.
                            I agree and the other factor, IMM, is that this isn't just some fill in we might need, this ain't the Bears or Browns-- this is the defending SB champions, and we have not seen anywhere near enough of Sudfeld to hand him the reins of the Champs.

Comment

I'm not sure anyone has been in a situation with a backup winning the Super Bowl in the salary cap era. If Foles was a on a veteran minimum or rookie contract, keeping him would be a no-brainer unless we were blown away by a trade offer.

However... that cap space could be critical, so there would be interest on the Eagles' part in trading him. It really felt like they were grooming Sudfeld to be the backup QB going forward, but Wentz' injury puts a wrinkle in that.

On the other hand, I'm not sure the Eagles trade him into a bad situation (i.e. bad OL). That was cruel, sending him to the Rams, in retrospect. If Foles *wants* to stay, not sure the Eagles can really trade him.

Secondly, not sure a team would be willing to invest a first round pick in him. Foles did great in the playoffs, and you could probably write off the Rams play given it was under Jeff Fisher, but at times Foles can just be awful. I think the Eagles ran a pretty vanilla game plan against Oakland and the Cowboys, so even those may be ignorable, but even in the 27-2 season he had a game against the Cowboys that was shockingly bad. Most backup QBs could have won that game the way the defense played, but not Foles that day. The very next game was the 7-TD game, so he can bounce back, but coaches very much value consistency and I'm not sure that Foles gives you that. That probably gives other teams pause when trading valuable assets for him. Additionally, there are a number of other QBs who may be available, which a team may prefer given they would not have to give up a pick to get them. Secondly, you would pretty much have to negotiate a new contract for Foles, so the commitment would go beyond just the pick. It just takes one GM to fall in love, of course.

I just feel that teams are more likely to pursue the free agent QBs first, and maybe the draft QBs second, before trying to see what Foles could bring. By that point, the $3 million roster bonus would have been paid, meaning the cap relief to the Eagles is much less, so it would really have to be a good haul.

Arizona... would seem to make sense, except their OL is dreadful. If they trade away a top pick to get Foles, they have even less chance of fixing it. Also, their receivers outside of Fitzgerald are awful, and not sure how many more years he is going to play. David Johnson was terrific at RB, but he's coming off injury so who knows. Their offense was terrible this year, and I think Foles would crater there too.

Bills could be interesting. They may have been trying to tank for a QB in the draft, and have some ammunition to move up, but that could be a somewhat interesting situation. Not positive Foles would want to go there -- not the best cold-weather QB -- but maybe.

Minnesota -- hard to imagine them trading with the Eagles *again* when they have three of their own guys they could re-sign. Also, Bridgewater's contract may have tolled, meaning he may not be a free agent. That is almost certain to be a grievance if they try it, but if they are desperate they could go that way. Keenum may be about as good as Foles given the same play caller (he was for the Rams).

Jets maybe, but only if there is nobody in the draft they like. Could possibly see that one.

It's just a tricky situation -- you would need a team to go all-in on Foles, which won't be all of them (if any). A more likely scenario would be if a team strikes out in free agency and the draft, or has an injury, but that would be 2019 picks of unknown position.

Comment

Working...
                              X