Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sad state of affairs at the NFL combine. Whyis this such a great thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad state of affairs at the NFL combine. Whyis this such a great thing?

Rosen, Mayfield, Allen will throw at NFL combine
    Feb
    2/23/2018 1:49:13 PM
    |More
    The trend of all of the draft's top quarterbacks participating in the throwing portion of the NFL Scouting Combine (March 2-5 on NFL Network) looks like it will continue in 2018, Dan Parr of NFL.com reports.

UCLA's Josh Rosen, Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield and Wyoming's Josh Allen plan to throw at the combine next week, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. Oklahoma State's Mason Rudolph revealed in his NFL.com Path to the Draft Diary earlier this week that he will throw at the combine.

That leaves USC's Sam Darnold and Louisville's Lamar Jackson as the top signal-callers that we're waiting to hear from on whether or not they'll throw, but it would be a surprise if anyone opted out at this point.

The last highly touted QBs to elect not to throw at the event are Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater, who did not throw at the 2014 combine. Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota threw at the combine a year later, and players like Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Deshaun Watson, Mitchell Trubisky and Patrick Mahomes followed suit last year.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I hope the Birds put more stock in things like, competitive nature, quality of competition, game tape and the meetings they have one on one with the players. Letting the workouts confirm their notions.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Seriously, why is it a big deal when a quarterback decides to throw at this thing? Personnaly if a kid told me he wasn't throwing I'd think the kid was a chickenshit and wouldn't consider drafting him. Mellinials

Comment

It’s all about the dollar bill.

A lot of times it’s the agent that is the catalyst for these declarations of intent to perform/not perform certain or any drills. Especially in the case where a prospect’s physical abilities may be diminished by an injury or was masked by the coaching scheme in college. For example, if a prospect’s speed is in question by scouts, the agent may advise the player not to run at the combine. Instead, the player could opt to run at the school’s pro day, a more favorable setting for the player.

And as far as the NFL teams go, trust that they have been doing their homework on these guys throughout the season. The combine just confirms what they’ve been observing for the past few months or years. Ex-NFL, ex-collegiate players and sports medicine professionals have started businesses built around preparing for the combine. So teams may or may not place as much stock in the results as we may believe.

Comment

Consider the school’s coaching scheme too. If the player wasn’t asked to take snaps from under center in college, he would likely be advised to skip throwing at the combine and to seek training doing just that in the months leading up to the schools pro day.

A more well-rounded player with pro grade skills may equal a higher draft slot, which in turn equals a more lucrative deal and a larger commission for the agent

Comment

I've heard all of the excuses too TP, I just don't buy them lol. I say get your ass out there and compete or get lost. The "comfort zone" thing is pure bullshit. Who the hell is "comfortable" when NFL lineman are trying to knock your block off? If you're hurt I suppose that's one thing, but these guys have more excuses than Carters has pills.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              Personnaly if a kid told me he wasn't throwing I'd think the kid was a chickenshit and wouldn't consider drafting him.
              Either that or his pussy was really, really hurting that day!

Comment

I've heard all of the excuses too TP, I just don't buy them lol. I say get your ass out there and compete or get lost. The "comfort zone" thing is pure bullshit. Who the hell is "comfortable" when NFL lineman are trying to knock your block off? If you're hurt I suppose that's one thing, but these guys have more excuses than Carters has pills.
                Fair point. What I was angling at was that it’s not necessarily the kid that’s whining all the time or making excuses. Sometimes it’s agent driven is all. It’s hard to discern whether the kid is whining or the agent is advising the kid to take this posture. It’s not zero sum. But it is about money.

Comment

I will say that teams DO take notice of whether a kid will step up and compete/show off at the combine. They might view it as a negative when a kid opts for the easy path instead of stepping out of his comfort zone

Looking at the QBs that skipped: Manziel and Bridgewater both had question marks regarding arm strength and if I recall correctly, playing almost exclusively in a spread offense. So their agents probably advised them to take the zero for that portion of the NFL exam, and to use the time to strengthen those deficiencies.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                    Fair point. What I was angling at was that it’s not necessarily the kid that’s whining all the time or making excuses. Sometimes it’s agent driven is all. It’s hard to discern whether the kid is whining or the agent is advising the kid to take this posture. It’s not zero sum. But it is about money.
                    Friekin agents=snake oil

Comment

Friekin agents=snake oil
                      LOL yeah basically.

Consider TO/ Rosenhaus. TO was a happy camper, hires Rosenhaus (who only gets paid if his client gets a contract), and lo and behold TO wants a new contract only one year into his deal.

Comment

Re: favorable venue. It’s unlikely (but not impossible) that this guy can pull off a 4.19 40-yard dash like this at the combine. This clip might earn him some money. Might...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...k1gvgza2kwetqb

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                          Re: favorable venue. It’s unlikely (but not impossible) that this guy can pull off a 4.19 40-yard dash like this at the combine. This clip might earn him some money. Might...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...k1gvgza2kwetqb
                          I knew that Franklin is a good player and was Auburn's main weapon last season but I never noticed him with that kind of speed. Whoa!

Comment

Agree that it is mostly agents that keep people from doing certain things at the combine. Strictly protecting their guy. I also would agree that if I couldn't get a guy to throw or run or whatever at the combine or the pro day I wouldn't touch them. At the combine there is a lot of extracurricular crap that may influence not throwing and the people you throw to aren't your people. But you certainly have to throw at a pro day. The other reason is you can script your pro day but not the combine. So a QB that has limited ability to throw sideline for example can limit how much of that he does at a pro day I think.
                            Anyway, I think teams have figured out that tape from the season and interviews are your best bet. The combine and pro day should be to iron out a question or two and verify med stuff
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

Scratch this asshole off of my list-not that impressed by him as others are anyway

Sam Darnold won't throw at the Combine
                              Feb
                              2/27/2018 9:30:18 AM
                              |More
                              USC quarterback Sam Darnold, regarded by many as the potential No. 1 overall pick, will not throw at this week’s combine, and will focus on athletic testing and interviews instead, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports citing a source. He will throw at USC’s Pro Day on March 21st.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org

Comment

Working...
                              X