observations from Eagles-Colts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My perception of the game.

1) Penalties are ruining the NFL. Every game yesterday had issues. It's not the officials fault IMO. It is the rules. The roughing calls on the QB are especially concerning. They need to soften this up. Intentionally slamming a QB to the ground is one thing. Falling on him trying to make a tackle is another.

2) I thought the D played great, until that 2nd to last drive when Indy went right down the field. Kudos to the D for keeping them out of the end zone though.

3) Doug made some strange decisions (the 55yd FG on a wet field). But, I love the fact that he is our HC. I was calling for a rollout on 3rd and 10 when we were trying to run out the clock. That is exactly what he called and it nearly provided a 1st down. A lot of coaches would just run it up the middle again (for nothing) and let it all come down to the D.

4) That hail mary in the end zone at the end was too close for comfort and the ball hit the ground in the end zone. In that situation, I wish our DE's would contain the QB from rolling out. When the QB's roll out in the open, it allows the QB to really be able to heave the ball. This happened yesterday and again with Brady in the SB. This may seem a bit picky and a bit crazy to comment on. But, most QB's really don't seem to have the arm strength for a 65 yd pass from the pocket IMO. Why risk the throw making it to the end zone ?

5) Smallwood shocked me yesterday. Dragging tacklers ? Who would have thought. Not me.

6) It's not so much fun going against ex-coaches who know our system. We still have to face the Vikings and DeFilippo.

7) God help us at WR right now.

Wentz is special, really special.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
      I can't bash the defense. They gave up 209 yards and only 16 points while having to face two turnovers in their own red zone. They were stout.

Elliot being asked to kick a 55 yarder with a wet ball and bad elements was not fair either. Poor decision by Doug there. We had the Colts where we wanted them and pinning them deep while up 7-0 would have kept momentum our way. Instead, we miss the field goal, give them the ball on the 45 yard line and they get a TD.
      I am not bashing the defense, and I really could care less about the amount of yards they gave up. The Colts had two drops on open receivers in the end zone I wonder how everyone would have felt if both of those were caught? They still would have given up less than 250 yards but would have given up 24 points. I am just concerned and I am troubled by the fact that Schwartz does not seem to want to make adjustments.

Less also not forget here that the Eagles offense held the ball for 40 minutes in that game including an 11 minute drive in the 4th quarter.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Goedert may really turn out to be special. Especially paired with Ertz. I likened him before to Pete Retzlaff because they are ND boys who went to school at SD State but we can only hope he has that career. Just not sure why they didn't go to him more last week.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

I think that the pass protection problems might have been a combination of all the new players on offense including Wentz. Sometimes the rbs went in the wrong direction to help out Carson. There are also plays that it's actually Carson's job to avoid an unblocked player by design. With the new receivers and Carson's timing that could be tough along with one of your wrs who runs the 100 in about 15 seconds (how to hell is he on an NFL roster?). Indy ran some pretty cool blitzes too that were hard for the rbs to recognize no matter how good a blocker they are. I remember one play where a MLB circled all the way around the end to sack Carson. The rb has to recognize that and not run his pattern and stay in to pick it up. Very well designed play by an excellent defense IMO.

Again I forgot to tape the game so I can't go over it again. Sorry because I have the time to go over this stuff.

As for letting the Colts march down the field at the end of the game I really don't know what the answer is. If you get beat deep with 40 seconds left in the game you look like an idiot. You have to keep things in front of you. It seems like every week half of the games are settled like yesterday's.

I'd like to see more jamming at the line of scrimmage too to change things up. Of course Mills would be tackling his guy most of the time so maybe that's not such a good idea.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Pass protection is a combination of several things. I do think the RB situation is one, The new set of WR's is another, were they getting open and if so when, Wentz recognition of the Blitz (not playing for an almost a year there will be rust there) and I think straight up the offensive line didn't protect as well as they have in the past this week.

The big thing is all of this correctable, get back Jeffrey and Ajayi and Sproles, Give Mathews another week in the offense and sometimes for Wentz to shake off the rust.

I wonder if besides Peters if some other guys are playing a little banged up on the offensive line.
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
              Pass protection is a combination of several things. I do think the RB situation is one, The new set of WR's is another, were they getting open and if so when, Wentz recognition of the Blitz (not playing for an almost a year there will be rust there) and I think straight up the offensive line didn't protect as well as they have in the past this week.

The big thing is all of this correctable, get back Jeffrey and Ajayi and Sproles, Give Mathews another week in the offense and sometimes for Wentz to shake off the rust.

I wonder if besides Peters if some other guys are playing a little banged up on the offensive line.
              Wasn't Kelce limping around last week? Maybe it's the same ankle that he hurt last year.

Comment

Kelce hurt his knee during the first half. He walked it off and continued playing. Gutted it out. I wonder if that hampered him some.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
                  Kelce hurt his knee during the first half. He walked it off and continued playing. Gutted it out. I wonder if that hampered him some.
                  It's always my biggest fear that we lose him Steve. There is nobody behind him that is very good. He and Cox are the two guys that we just can't afford to lose IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X