Why is everyone so down on the Phils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is everyone so down on the Phils?

they're in first place with the second best record in the NL yet people are screaming for Bowa's head and for millwood to be traded.
    Support Sportscolumn.com! Tell a friend!

It boils down to this: Nobody cares about a so-called "small market" team like Philadelphia or St. Louis. All we want is for New York or Boston or Chicago to win. If anyone else does, it's just a footnote. It really pisses me off.

Fuck the fucking Yankees.
    I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

If the Yankers end up getting the Big Unit, I'm boycotting the American League.

Comment

It's not that. I mean the Phillies fans are so down on them. You'd think they were the Expos.

Comment

I know it, I need someone to hear my rants is all.

Fucking fuckers.

Comment

Well, as a big time Phils fan, I think there are a lot of contributing factors to this.

1) The team was hyped up by the press and by the management as being the best Phillies team ever, or in at least the past 20 years. How often have these words been spoken about the Phillies? They have underacheived significantly to this point.

2) Many feel that the team is built incorrectly around two high strike out guys (Thome and Burrell), too many players who have had one or two great years (Rollins and Lieberthal) and a few players who were just overhyped (Millwood, Bell and Marlon Byrd). The pitching staff has not been as good as advertised, and we are shelling out $9M a year for a closer who has 12 saves due to injury and lack of opportunity. We see a large amount of the teams budget poured into the bullpen, and see such luminaries as Cormier, Hernandez, and Worrell (actually Worrell has pitched pretty well) stink up the joint.

3) Bowa - either you love him or hate him. I hate his teen age screaming fits, his "leaks" to the press and his "tough as nails" persona. He has never been a winner in the major leagues, and probably will not have a shot after this year if the Phils don't get into the playoffs.

4) basically it's just the fact the team was sold as being super talented and a shoo in for the NL East, and they have faltered against the teams they need to beat (NL East) as well as not being as good as advertised.

Millwood is getting a ration of shit because he came to play out of shape for a second year in a row while making the most money out of the rotation.

Comment

It's all about expectations I guess. I expected the Phils to win the NL East but not coast to it like the Braves used to do. It's a long long season and you just gotta get hot at the end. Remember the really shitty start that the Marlins had last year.

How can people complain about building a team around Thome? He's a monster and most teams would love to have him.

Comment

No one has been complaining about building a team around Thome. The problem is that when you add three other high strikeout guys to your line up in Burrell, Rollins and Abreu, it's tough to get on base and score runs in a consistent manner. Half of your line up is strikeouts which means people aren't getting on base, which means you can't drive in runs.

In the long run this leads to a team that is very streaky based on how the bats are on a particular day. They can score 12 runs in a game, and then go two days in a row scoring a run apiece.

Comment

Like yesterday's nice 1 run effort?

Comment

Now you see what I mean.

Originally posted by Fantasy Guru
                    Like yesterday's nice 1 run effort?

Comment

Working...
                    X