Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...reement-monday

Players Reportedly Set To Vote On Agreement Monday

When the owners ratified the new CBA last Thursday, the players responded with shock, despite the fact that we'd heard for a month the owners would vote on it when the met in Atlanta. Immediately we were inundated with tweets of players claiming the owners approved "their own deal" and tried to "sneak things in" to the agreement.

The players then all took the airwaves claiming that they would not be rushed or pressured into a signing a deal! They needed time to read over this agreement, which they all seem to claim they never saw. This despite the fact that they spent the better part of the entire summer negotiating every little detail of it.

Now that the initial reaction has calmed, it appears as though the deal wasn't some trick by the owners. It was in fact, pretty much the same deal the two sides have spent hundreds of hours hammering out. So after spending the weekend proving that they "will not be rushed," the players now appears set to meet in Washington on Monday to vote (and presumably ratify) the new CBA.

The two sides have exchanged some phone calls this weekend, but no face to face meetings took place. Reportedly, the biggest detail that was talked about was giving the players some more time to reform as a union. Previously, the owners were insisting they do so before starting a new league year. Of course, Vincent Jackson dropping his demand of $10 million dollars helped as well.

So barring anything unforseen, the players should take a vote on Monday and the NFL will likely start a new league year on Wednesday, at which point all hell will break loose.

Comment

On the whole, I've been slightly more on the side of the players in this disgraceful display of selfishness and greed.

There is one exception to that and that would be the walking, breathing pile of shit that is Jeffrey Kessler, the attorney pictured here with D. Smith (who is a finalist in the World's Ugliest Man contest).

Kessler needs badly to be hurt....badly!

Comment

Imagine the nerve of those players who wanted to actually read the contract before they voted on it!
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          Imagine the nerve of those players who wanted to actually read the contract before they voted on it!

Just outrageous! And after all the steps the owners have taken over the years to demonstrate their trustworthiness.

I see the owner/player relationship as akin to that of the parent to the child. The parent obviously knows what is best for the child and will always keep the child's interest foremost in his mind when making important decisions about the child's well being.

Staying with the parent/child metaphor, an excellent illustrative example of the ingratitude often shown by players toward owners is that of the spoiled and self-centered child who rips the duct tape from it's mouth and cries out for help when the loving and thoughtful patent is fucking it up the ass.

Comment

Latest news...

CBSSports.com' Mike Freeman reports the league year will not start until five days after the new CBA is ratified, while training camps will not be allowed to start for a week.

The players are expected to approve the CBA Monday, which would leave Saturday as the start of free agency. Unless the terms have changed dramatically in the past few days, teams should still be afforded the opportunity to sign their own free agents before the mad rush begins Saturday. Team facilities will open as early as Wednesday, allowing players to voluntarily work out, seek medical treatment, and begin classroom instructions. After a long lockout, there will be no shortage of volunteers.

Comment

Latest news...

Drew Brees sent teammates an email Sunday confirming that the CBA agreement is "expected" Monday

Reports from other players were still trickling in Sunday that a deal was not finalized, so it's good to hear that Brees fully expects the lockout to be lifted Monday. Brees' email also says it's possible that teams may begin re-signing their own free agents on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Comment

Ummm, what? No 3 day grace period? If true, this will be nuts...

Updating a previous item, Drew Brees' email to teammates reportedly outlined a timetable that would have free agency beginning at noon ET Tuesday.

"It now looks like ... it will be open free agency," said Brees. "There will be no 3 day grace period for teams to sign their own players. It will be open for anyone to sign anywhere." Brees' timetable contradicts everything we've seen elsewhere, so we'd caution not to accept it as gospel truth. The absence of a three-day exclusive window would change the entire landscape of free agency, of course, creating even more of an Oklahoma Sooner land-grab feel.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                  ... they are going to take right up until that deadline just to be a-holes.

They already ARE assholes - both sides actually. I've had it with the players attitudes of entitlement and the owners pure greed and scuminess. Both groups can go to hell! If Americans had any self-esteem we'd put our passion into college football and let the NFL wither away for a few years until everyone involved learned not to take us for granted and earned a bit of modesty. But alas we're just a bunch of gutless sheep who do what the media tells us to do, so we deserve what we get. As long as we allow them to treat us this way we have no right to complain. Just hand over your paycheck and sit in front of the TV and keep your mouth shut.
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

WTF?!...Albert Breer reported last night that Free Agency WITHOUT A GRACE PERIOD to sign your own free agents would begin Friday. Adam Shefter is now reporting that a free agent free-for-all could begin TOMORROW.

#1, Wow. This is about to get insane regardless of the exact start time.

#2, Does anyone have ANY idea what's really going to happen? Aside from the fact that I'm starved for real football news, why do I even read anything? I've never seen a story change as much as this one. Clearly, no one has a clue. Let me know when something actually happens.

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...-cba#storyjump

The Lockout Is Over! NFLPA Exec Committee Unanimously Approves New CBA

The NFLPA executive committee and the 32 player representatives have unanimously approved a new collective bargaining agreement ending the 132 day NFL lockout. The actual agreement won’t be finalized until the entire union re-certifies and votes on it, but for all intents and purposes, football is assured to return this year and the NFL will open for business tomorrow.

Roger Goodell and NFLPA head DeMaurice Smith held a joint press conference at NFLPA headquarters today to announce the deal.

"It’s a long time coming and football’s back. That’s great news for everyone," Goodell said. "I think this agreement is going to make our game better. "

"To our fans, I know you love this game as much as I do," said Smith, "I know it's been a very long process since the day we stood here on that day in March. But our guys stuck together when no one lese thought we would and football is back because of it. I'm proud of the men that you see behind me, I'm proud of the former players that have stood with us, and most of all, I dig our fans who love our game."

"We're excited to be back on the opportunity to get back on the field and instead of being in these meeting rooms, get in football meeting rooms, which I'm a big fan of," said NFLPA executive committee member Jeff Saturday.

This means that an entire offseason of transactions will now be condensed into a matter of days. We noted this stat earlier, but it bears repeating as an example of how crazy this will be. Teams have an average of 40 players currently under contract. This season, rosters will be expanded to 90 players for camp. So that means teams will be adding an average of 50 players over the next week. That could mean upwards of 1,600 contracts being negotiated this week.

Starting at 10am tomorrow teams will be free to work out trades, sign free agents, rookies, undrafted players… It’s all fair game. Since rookies aren’t going anywhere, look for teams to make trades and veteran free agents their top priority over the next 24-48 hours.

Rookie contracts should actually be much easier this year. Under the terms of the new CBA, rookie deals will be much simpler than in the past. There will be no voidable years or big escalators etc. So the amount of long holdouts and acrimonious negotiations should be lower.

Comment

Does anyone read what the Salary Cap is for this year?

I;ve heard that it is lower than anticipated - or atleast back to 2009 - so once again the Eagles have all their cap space leading into a new CBA and come out of it holding the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by 12dickau4pres View Post
                          Does anyone read what the Salary Cap is for this year?

I;ve heard that it is lower than anticipated - or atleast back to 2009 - so once again the Eagles have all their cap space leading into a new CBA and come out of it holding the bag.
                          In the neighborhood of $120 million I think (2009 was $12. There are some teams over (Cowboys) and some teams way under (I think Tampa has like $55 million to spend to get there).

Comment

Working...
                          X