Do you like overtime and it's rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like overtime and it's rules?

I don't really like overtime periods, especially now that they are shortened to 10 minutes from 15. The fact that a team can lose a game without touching the ball on offense sucks, especially after a team scores on a long drive to tie the game and then wins the coin toss and goes against an exhausted defense and scores a td. I would rather just have the game end a tie at the end of regulation. Thoughts?
    At the end of regulation
    10.00%
    10 minute OT same rules
    10.00%
    15 minute OT same rules
    60.00%
    Another idea (please explain)
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

"Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

No ties--- if at all possible--- same rules just go back to 15 minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
      No ties--- if at all possible--- same rules just go back to 15 minutes!
      This is what I would prefer also.

Comment

12 minutes with both teams touching the ball. No kickoff. Ball starts at 25 as if it were a touchback. This they score a TD then the other teams never touches the ball is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
          12 minutes with both teams touching the ball. No kickoff. Ball starts at 25 as if it were a touchback. This they score a TD then the other teams never touches the ball is stupid.
          Well I see it as 3 squad game--- ST's, so yes KO (as weak as this is nowadays). Off --- their job is to score and if they do--- they beat a D.
          DEF they have a job and that is to stop an Off so if they don't --- they lose.

Now some teams are better at O and some teams better at D--- so it will never be 100% fair--- but that is why I don't like the thought of consolation trophies. Not fair? over come it or take advantage. Just me!

Comment

I used to like the drama of teams putting it all on the line to go for the 2 points when they scored the late TD for the potential tie. I also think that ties kind of have a cool way of affecting the standings.

I absolutely hate college football overtime putting the ball on the 25 yard line and alternating possessions. The defenses get so tired that they had to put in a rule that after each team scored 2 TDs the teams had to go for 2 in an effort to stop overimes that were getting up to 60 or 70 points for each team. Their first idea of putting the ball on the 10 yard line was much better because it's so hard to score from there.

I guess that I just think that 3 hours is plenty to determine the outcome of a game. I also see that I'm most likely in the wrong here because most of America wants to see a winner and loser. Shootouts in hockey and soccer are the absolute worst IMO.

Comment

Well I see it as 3 squad game--- ST's, so yes KO (as weak as this is nowadays). Off --- their job is to score and if they do--- they beat a D.
              DEF they have a job and that is to stop an Off so if they don't --- they lose.

Now some teams are better at O and some teams better at D--- so it will never be 100% fair--- but that is why I don't like the thought of consolation trophies. Not fair? over come it or take advantage. Just me!
              I see what you are saying but as NFL supposedly cares about player safety I eliminated the kick off in my scenario.

Comment

I see what you are saying but as NFL supposedly cares about player safety I eliminated the kick off in my scenario.
                Hey Rob,
                maybe they could play 2 hand touch for the overtime period for safety purposes. Of course you'd have to give each coach 10 challenges for "only got me with one hand!" situations. Now that I think of it I guess that flags would be better with 15 yard penalties for guarding your flags and one game suspensions for tying one. We should probably call Goodell with these suggestions. I think that we should nominate tino because he's more full of shit than the rest of us.

Comment

Well , IMM, it is sort of a mute point... Most KO's start at the 25 anyhow, with no major contact.

Comment

For me it would be 15 minutes--after 75 minutes guys really are shot and safety issues increase.
                    Each team gets their first shot at it and after that whichever team scores first.
                    If first possession team doesn't score or gets a FG second team gets a shot at FG or TD. If first possession team gets a TD the second team gets a shot for a TD. After that it is sudden death.
                    Played like any other quarter with kickoffs, punts, etc
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

I've always been a fan of the high school/college rules. Each team gets a shot on the 25 (maybe push it to the 35 for pros) and keep going until one team comes out on top.
                      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Glad to see you are still around LD.

Comment

Glad to see you are still around LD.
                          Yup, I'm still alive. The Chip Kelly years combined with rules changes have definitely dampened my interest in football though.
                          Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                            Yup, I'm still alive. The Chip Kelly years combined with rules changes have definitely dampened my interest in football though.
                            Yeah I can understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              Hey Rob,
                              maybe they could play 2 hand touch for the overtime period for safety purposes. Of course you'd have to give each coach 10 challenges for "only got me with one hand!" situations. Now that I think of it I guess that flags would be better with 15 yard penalties for guarding your flags and one game suspensions for tying one. We should probably call Goodell with these suggestions. I think that we should nominate tino because he's more full of shit than the rest of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X