X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Mays traded to Denver

Per Schefter

Adam_Schefter

Denver and Philadelphia agreed to a trade: Broncos trade RB J.J. Arrington to Eagles for LB Joe Mays.
    less than 20 seconds ago via ƜberTwitter
    Last edited by 12dickau4pres; 07-30-2010, 10:17 PM.

Cup is ours!

Comment

I think perhaps Charles Scott may be in a bit of trouble from only 3 days of practice. Arrington returns and has reliable hands. At 218 lbs. he has decent size as well. What do they gain making a trade like this if they're not going to keep J.J.? Unless of course they knew that Mays was going to get the ax anyway and got something instead of nothing?
      Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Perhaps I should have gone to the Eagles home page 1st. McPherson just said that the Eagles get a conditional draft pick in '12 if Arrington doesn't make the team. Now it makes a little more sense to do the deal. It's a win win situation.

Comment

Isn't Arrington more of a 3rd down back type? Not sure this means the end of the Charles Scott era (after four days of training camp!) They're totally different types of back.

Besides, wouldn't we carry four RB's plus Weaver? McCoy, Bell, Scott, Arrington, Weaver. Even if it's only three, I've heard that injuries can happen from time to time in the game of football.

Besides, Mays was at best our 4th-string MLB.

Comment

Originally posted by IMK View Post
            Isn't Arrington more of a 3rd down back type? Not sure this means the end of the Charles Scott era (after four days of training camp!) They're totally different types of back.

Besides, wouldn't we carry four RB's plus Weaver? McCoy, Bell, Scott, Arrington, Weaver. Even if it's only three, I've heard that injuries can happen from time to time in the game of football.

Besides, Mays was at best our 4th-string MLB.

I doubt very much that we carry 5 at the rb/fb pos. It's McCoy, Bell, Weaver and the winner between Scott, Buckley and Arrington. Arrington's value as a 3rd down back and st's return duties have to give him a leg up, no? I'm thinking Andy is having some buyers remorse over drafting a big back again. He figures he can use Bell or Weaver for short yd. carries why does he need 3 big backs with no true pass catching back up if McCoy goes down.

Comment

Arrington coming off microfracture surgery,AR just kicking the tires.Neither guy had a chance of making their team,so if indeed they are getting a conditional pick if Arrington doesn't make the roster,this deal should read "Eagles trade Mays for conditional pick".
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,ā€ vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. ā€œThe love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Eagles get a 6th if Arrington doesn't make squad. Mays for a 6th isn't a bad deal.

Comment

Concur musicman and others. The only thing Mays was going to do this year was take some reps during camp to keep someone else fresh or injury free. They've looked at him and being a guy from a small school did okay but wasn't going to cut it at MLB. A lot of people got stirred up his first year because he could hit hard but it takes a wee bit more than that to be a MLB unfortunately.
                  I think Arrington is about the same way--he will take some reps to keep others fresh and be there in case of injury. If he makes the team it is because no one stands out beyond McCoy/Weaver and probably Bell. My guess is someone will stand above him and the birds get a sixth for a guy who wasn't going to make the team; plus I don't think Mays was drafted any higher than that.
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

Mays was symbolic of the Eagles faulures at picking LBs. Hell, just that year they took 3...Bryan Smith, Mays, and Studebaker. We generally suck at picking them. Or try to make projects work....(GoCong). I am hoping the tide is turning with Bradley...and actually Fokou. Throw in Sims as a FA pickup and perhaps we will have a decent group there finally.
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                      Mays was symbolic of the Eagles faulures at picking LBs. Hell, just that year they took 3...Bryan Smith, Mays, and Studebaker. We generally suck at picking them. Or try to make projects work....(GoCong). I am hoping the tide is turning with Bradley...and actually Fokou. Throw in Sims as a FA pickup and perhaps we will have a decent group there finally.
                      Little harse with the "failure at picking LB's) Smith was a defensive end and Mays and Studebaker were 6th round picks. Smith was a mistake no doubt, but in the sixth round you take flyers, the fact that Mays even made a few years in the league is a bonus. Actually Studebaker played pretty well for the KC last year.
                      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

IMO the only way Arrington makes this Team is if he wins the KR job. Reid has already said that DJ will handle the PR spot but KR is up for grabs with Arrington, Demps, & Hall. If Hobbs wins the RCB spot I assume they'll take him off the ST's. If Arrington's knee is good to go he's got a shot. If not the Birds get a 6th in '12 for Mays. Bobby April's one of the best ST's Coaches so he'll play a huge part in making that call. We'll see.
                        Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                          Little harse with the "failure at picking LB's) Smith was a defensive end and Mays and Studebaker were 6th round picks. Smith was a mistake no doubt, but in the sixth round you take flyers, the fact that Mays even made a few years in the league is a bonus. Actually Studebaker played pretty well for the KC last year.

And how exactly did any of that help our LB corps?
                          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Guys - Mays wasn't as good as many hoped but let's be realistic. He was a 6th round pick. We got some years of service out of him and traded him for either a serviceable player or a 6th round pick. That's actually good value for our selection of a guy in the 6th round. Let's get real.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
                              Guys - Mays wasn't as good as many hoped but let's be realistic. He was a 6th round pick. We got some years of service out of him and traded him for either a serviceable player or a 6th round pick. That's actually good value for our selection of a guy in the 6th round. Let's get real.
                              If we had a surplus of talent at LB, then the way it played out with Mays (or any lower round pick at any position) would have been a win.

But the Eagles devaluing the need to spend higher round picks on LBs continues to bite them in the ass.

As an example, what the Eagles did with AJ Feeley was a stroke of genius. (Although Parcells paid us back with Booker.) But we don't have that luxury at the LB position like we did back then with the QB position.

Comment

Working...
                              X