Eagles sign former Giants WR Steve Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
    Coughlin aggressively moved this week to dampen the potential interest of other teams in Smith by saying he was still a long way from getting on the football field.

He expects Smith to give the Giants the courtesy to match when they never stepped up with a decent offer. Then they tried hard to get him back on the cheap by publicly badmouthing his physical condition. That's rich.
    I love it when we fuck the Giants!!!!!!!!
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Coughlin aggressively moved this week to dampen the potential interest of other teams in Smith by saying he was still a long way from getting on the football field.

He expects Smith to give the Giants the courtesy to match when they never stepped up with a decent offer. Then they tried hard to get him back on the cheap by publicly badmouthing his physical condition. That's rich.
      Coughlin is saying he never said that Smith wouldn't be back until mid-season. He's saying that when he said 4-6 weeks, he meant 4-6 weeks from NOW, not from the start of the year. Ooooooooh. Hahaha.

And, Smith's agent has now said that he has no idea where the Giants got the impression that he had promised to give them last chance to match.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
        Coughlin is saying he never said that Smith wouldn't be back until mid-season. He's saying that when he said 4-6 weeks, he meant 4-6 weeks from NOW, not from the start of the year. Ooooooooh. Hahaha.

And, Smith's agent has now said that he has no idea where the Giants got the impression that he had promised to give them last chance to match.
        I think maybe this Dogra guy just likes dealing with the Eagles. Too bad he's not DJ's agent.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

8/11/11 Update...

Giants coach Tom Coughlin estimated to New York reporters Thursday that Steve Smith (knee) would be ready to practice in 4-6 weeks.

That's assuming no setbacks, which is a fairly weighty assumption in Smith's case. If the Giants did believe Smith would be ready to practice by mid-September, perhaps they should have come with a stronger offer rather than bemoaning the fact that Smith's camp didn't give them a chance to match Philly's $2 million in guarantees. As long as Coughlin's estimation is correct, Smith has a decent chance to avoid the PUP list.

Comment

The Gnats fucked up, plain and simple. They don't have much cap room to work with and they thought they could low ball Smith and get away with it. Maybe their offer was so low it insulted Smith.

In any case, Fuck you Tom! Fuck you NY Giants! And fuck all you NYC fans and sportswriters who think you're entitled to steal everyone else's professional athletes but shocked!!! when someone walks away from NYC for greener pastures.

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...ning#storyjump

Steve Smith Excited To Play With Vick, Says He's "Close" To Returning

Steve Smith held a conference call last night to discuss his surprising move from the Giants to the Eagles, the status of his injury and more. Let's start with the most important stuff though, which is that knee... Smith disagreed with Giants coach Tom Coughlin, who said this week that he was a "long" way from being healthy.

"Yeah, I would disagree with that personally just because I feel good." Smith said, "I've been running, I've been doing different things, cutting and stuff and it's been feeling good. I haven't been having any setbacks so hopefully that will continue but we'll see."

He implied that Coughlin's statements about his health may have even been a negotiating tactic.

"I don't know, maybe [Giants head coach Tom] Coughlin has a plan or something up his sleeve when he said that. Who knows, but I got checked out by both team doctors and have positive reports, so we'll see what happens when I get on the field."

One interesting revelation is that he said the Eagles have been after him for weeks and this wasn't a case of them swooping in at the last moment.
              "The Eagles have been involved pretty diligently for weeks, now, talking to my agent. And we were just waiting and waiting to see what was going to happen with the Giants. But I don't know what happened there, I don't know. So I'm just fortunate that Philadelphia being such a great team wanted me and it just worked out." He continued, "I spoke to their front office often and they showed a great interest in me. And I think they're on the right path to winning a championship so it just worked out."

He said that he's been impressed with the Eagles' moves this offseason just like everyone else in the NFL.

"Yeah, I mean it's pretty exciting to watch and see; even just when I wasn't part of the Eagles yet I was just like, ‘Wow they're making some really big moves', and it's definitely something to look at and talk about."

And, he's excited to play with Michael Vick.

"It's going to be a thrill just to be able to play alongside a player like him who's battled through so much and he seems like he appreciates the game so much right now. So I'm really excited."

And how about that little twitter feud with LeSean McCoy?

"Yeah, it's going to be funny. I'm going to go up to [RB] LeSean [McCoy] the first day I see him and just shake his hand and give him a hug and tell him that was all just Twitter beef and it was just all in fun. And you know, it's just a great rivalry and I'm thankful to be a part of it. And having switched sides it's a little different but still it will be exciting to see what it's like on this side."

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                I think maybe this Dogra guy just likes dealing with the Eagles. Too bad he's not DJ's agent.

Howie Roseman was very complimentary to Dogra in the whole Nnamdi negotiation, said they trusted Dogra not to leak word of their interest so that they could remain the "mystery team."

Also said he and Dogra each had epiphanies at about the same time late at night the day before Nnamdi signed. Said they exchanged texts at exactly the same time very late at night to keep the deal moving forward at a time everyone thought it was dead. Howie made it all sound very lovey-dovey.
                Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Yeah, too bad. He said Smith was a "long way" from returning to the field and Smith said he felt like Coughlin was fucking with him by saying that, to ensure that other teams wouldn't make a run at him. You mess with the bull, sometimes you get the horns.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...giants_co.html
                  Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Ultimately we traded Shawn Andrews for Steve Smith.

Good deal. Even if Steve Smith never plays a down.
                    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                    Playoff Appearances:
                    NFC Title Games:
                    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Yeah, too bad. He said Smith was a "long way" from returning to the field and Smith said he felt like Coughlin was fucking with him by saying that, to ensure that other teams wouldn't make a run at him. You mess with the bull, sometimes you get the horns.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...giants_co.html
                      Exactly. How transparent. Coughlin clearly was just trying to scare other teams off. Lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        I'm glad at least they're not going after Moss. But I just don't see Smith on the field this year with that knee. It's a strange deal.
                        Childress was just quoted as saying Moss walked into the Vikings locker room and vomited on it. I'm sure Big Red called Chilly to see what it is like dealing with Moss.

I like this deal, but I am suprised they went with Smith over a guy like Jericho Cotchery

Comment

8/11/11 Update...

Giants coach Tom Coughlin estimated to New York reporters Thursday that Steve Smith (knee) would be ready to practice in 4-6 weeks.

That's assuming no setbacks, which is a fairly weighty assumption in Smith's case. If the Giants did believe Smith would be ready to practice by mid-September, perhaps they should have come with a stronger offer rather than bemoaning the fact that Smith's camp didn't give them a chance to match Philly's $2 million in guarantees. As long as Coughlin's estimation is correct, Smith has a decent chance to avoid the PUP list.

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...ture#storyjump

Tom Coughlin Upset Over Steve Smith's Departure

Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said today that he was upset that Steve Smith chose to sign with the Eagles and claims that he was under the impression that the Giants would have had a chance to match any offer made the free agent WR.
                            "Well, I am upset, and so is everybody," Coughlin said. "But we're disappointed in the fact it's like lining up for the race and you're in the locker room and nobody tells you the race is going to be run. That's the disappointing thing here. I don't think we were given the opportunity to do what we could have done."
                            That last line is almost laughable. It is August 11th. The first preseason games are being played today. Camps are well underway. Smith was in the Giants' facility earlier this week. Not only were the Giants given the opportunity to re-sign him, they were given every opportunity. He's not a restricted free agent, you don't automatically get the right to match offers to the guy. If the Giants wanted him, they shouldn't have waited so long. Smith's agent Ben Dogra said that he never told the Giants they would have the chance to match an offer and in fact, warned them that they had strong interest from another team.
                            "I did not. I never told them at any point (that they would have the chance to match other offers)," Dogra told The Star-Ledger. "And, in fact, I'll take it a step further. I told them, 'Hey, I just want to be candid with you, I have another team that's going to be in the mix on a one-year deal.' So I did tell them that.

"If you have a sense of urgency, sometimes when you have a free agent, you can negotiate against yourself, you negotiate and wait for us, or you just negotiate to get a deal done. That's the prerogative of the club. We have no obligation to go back."
                            I'm sure many Giants fans are asking today where that sense of urgency was....

It's funny to hear the Giants acting shocked all of sudden when it appears from the perspective of the agent and the player that they never seemed to indicate a strong commitment to him. Smith said on Facebook today "i truly wanted to stay here but that the giants DIDN’T want me here unfortunately."

Dogra said the same.

"He got a stronger commitment from Philadelphia on the short and possibly the long," Dogra said, "and that was it."

Comment

Eagles supposedly had been talking with the agent for 3 or more weeks, basically since the lockout ended and showing their interest....Eagles are the "other" team Dogra references in his quote. Giants obviously did not have the cap room to play (which is why they lost a bunch of other players too) and thought they could talk down Smith's market value and get him back cheaply....shrewd hand if you can pull it off, but if it backfires as it did here you look mighty foolish
                              Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
                                Eagles supposedly had been talking with the agent for 3 or more weeks, basically since the lockout ended and showing their interest....Eagles are the "other" team Dogra references in his quote. Giants obviously did not have the cap room to play (which is why they lost a bunch of other players too) and thought they could talk down Smith's market value and get him back cheaply....shrewd hand if you can pull it off, but if it backfires as it did here you look mighty foolish
                                Those Gnats' fans that actually have firing synapses get this and either hold Reese responsible for mishandling the situation or recognize that Smith had every right to accept a significantly better offer. The rest...probably a majority...are drowning in their own venom. And I love it!

Comment

Working...
                                X