Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...book#storyjump

Giants Fans Attack Steve Smith On Facebook

One great thing about athletes using social media is that it lets them get closer to the fans. One really terrible thing about athletes using social media is that it lets them get closer to the fans... Steve Smith wrote a thank you to his fans and former team on his facebook page this evening.

What followed was a fairly disgusting torrent of racist, homophobic, foul and hate filled comments, most of which wished him a career ending injury. This is because a football player got a better offer from another team and took it. And while in this case it is Giants fans who are guilty of this awful display, I'm not going to act like any other fans would be that much different. But I think what was most surprising about the level of hatred and vitriol here is that it's not even an anonymous forum. It's facebook. So most of these people have their name and photo attached to this awful stuff.

So, if you can stomach it, hold your nose and check out some of what these people had to say to Smith.

We'll start off with a real fun one. The most racist and foul of the bunch and yet four people "liked it."

Comment

More...

Comment

More...

Comment

And even more...

Comment

Good Lord, that's ridiculous.

Anyway, I just can't see this as anything but hedging bets against against something going awry with either Desean or Maclin. If they realy expect those two to be here for this year, and years to come, then bringing in Smith makes little sense. It's an insurance policy, likely short term, in case Maclin doesn't make it back, or Desean doesn't get a long term deal. Puts some pressure back on his A-hole agent .
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

This signing makes no sense to me. I don't even know where to begin. If the Giants thought he could play they NEVER would have let him go. Now I could care less if the Eagles lose some dough over this, but WHY they signed him does. WTF does it mean? Is Maclin lost for the season? Does this have anything to do with DJ's situation? It sure can't help it, that's for sure! And if Avant is Andys "best slot receiver in the NFL" then why get another one? I don't get it, and like the stock market I sure hate uncertainty.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I gotta think this is all about Maclin. If Smith is as good as some think, there would have been an option year in the deal. I am wondering just how bad Maclin really is.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
                  I gotta think this is all about Maclin. If Smith is as good as some think, there would have been an option year in the deal. I am wondering just how bad Maclin really is.
                  I'm glad at least they're not going after Moss. But I just don't see Smith on the field this year with that knee. It's a strange deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    This signing makes no sense to me. I don't even know where to begin. If the Giants thought he could play they NEVER would have let him go. .

As much joy as the signing gives me because it has made Gnat fans insane, I'm also very perplexed by it. My initial and continuing reaction is WTF! I too think it's about Maclin and don't believe they FO on this for a minute.

Having said that, the main reason the Gnats didn't offer Smith, Boss and Plax decent contracts is that they've got VERY LITTLE room under the under the cap. A big part of that may be Eli's enormous contract extension. Remember 2 years ago when he became 'the highest paid player in the NFL'.

They may have legit concerns about Smith's health but that concern is punctuated by the fact that they must use what little room they have VERY carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                      As much joy as the signing gives me because it has made Gnat fans insane, I'm also very perplexed by it. My initial and continuing reaction is WTF! I too think it's about Maclin and don't believe they FO on this for a minute.

Having said that, the main reason the Gnats didn't offer Smith, Boss and Plax decent contracts is that they've got VERY LITTLE room under the under the cap. A big part of that may be Eli's enormous contract extension. Remember 2 years ago when he became 'the highest paid player in the NFL'.

They may have legit concerns about Smith's health but that concern is punctuated by the fact that they must use what little room they have VERY carefully.
                      Maybe Tino, but you know that I don't believe in the cap. There are always ways to make room IF you really want to (note the Washington Redskins and Oakland Raiders). And I also think that the New York Giants have more money than most small countries so if they don't want him there has to be a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        Maybe Tino, but you know that I don't believe in the cap. There are always ways to make room IF you really want to (note the Washington Redskins and Oakland Raiders). And I also think that the New York Giants have more money than most small countries so if they don't want him there has to be a reason.
                        Although I agree that sometimes it seems debatable just how much the cap really matters, if you believe the reports the Eagles have more cap space than just about anyone except the Chiefs and Broncos. So maybe one of the main reasons they did it is simply because...they can.

I think we're probably wasting time trying to figure out WHY they would've done this. Smith is low risk/high reward. Maybe Maclin won't be able to contribute. Maybe it hedges a bet with the DJ situation.

My guess is that the answer is: All of the above.

Comment

Per Adam Shefter: "Eagles expect WR Steve Smith to contribute early on and not start the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list."

The Eagles do not expect Steve Smith (knee) to start the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

We've got some ESPN-on-ESPN crime going on here. Chris Mortensen reported last night that Eagles doctors believe Smith could be ready by mid-October. If that's the case, putting him on PUP is the obvious move. But now Schefter says that the Eagles "expect Smith to contribute early." Until we actually see Smith and his surgically repaired knee string together some practices, we're siding with Mort here and leaving the ex-Giant off our draft boards.
                          Last edited by YourPalChrisMal; 08-11-2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

I'm not going to get worked up worrying about Maclin because they signed Steve Smith. Steve Smith is a hell of a receiver, can play both outside and in the slot, he's really good. Why not sign him if you have the cap space and you believe Tom Coughlin was blowing smoke up everybody's ass this week when he said Smith was still a ways away from returning?

This gives them tremendous depth at the WR position, and I'm encouraged with the reports that Smith may be closer to returning than Coughlin was willing to say. I think it's pretty clear Coughlin and Reese were hoping to scare other teams away with comments like that so that Smith would come back to them cheap.

Fingers crossed on Maclin, but Smith is also insurance in case Jackson gets hurt. He gets dinged from time to time because of his size. It will be interesting to see if Smith takes snaps from Avant in the slot.

As for the pissy Giant fans, who cares? If DeSean went to the Giants, I'm sure there would be a vocal bunch of idiots making posts like that from our side as well.
                            Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Jeff McLane reporting that Coughlin is crying that the Giants were told they'd have a chance to match the Eagles offer, and were never given that chance. Waaaaaa.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                                Jeff McLane reporting that Coughlin is crying that the Giants were told they'd have a chance to match the Eagles offer, and were never given that chance. Waaaaaa.
                                Coughlin aggressively moved this week to dampen the potential interest of other teams in Smith by saying he was still a long way from getting on the football field.

He expects Smith to give the Giants the courtesy to match when they never stepped up with a decent offer. Then they tried hard to get him back on the cheap by publicly badmouthing his physical condition. That's rich.
                                Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Working...
                                X