No announcement yet.

Foles Franchised..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60 - I think this will end with us franchising tagging him and a suitable trade does not pan out before the league year begins and to have cap space, we rescind the tag before 4PM on March 13. I predict Foles walks for free but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I will say it isn't because a team wouldn't be willing to take on Foles as their QB of the future. Foles is better than a lot of the league QBs. It's that teams know we don't hold any leverage in negotiations so why not simply wait until we drop the tag and you can get Foles for free?

As for teams that want him - you point out the natural fit with Jacksonville. I think the Redskins could be a distinct possibility. They don't draft until the middle of round 1 and they have nothing in terms of a future at QB especially with Alex Smith's injury. I'd also say for as much as Elway may like Drew Lock, I'm not sure he's ready to throw him to the wolves in year one OR year two. Foles would be a good fit there. The Raiders are another franchise that could really use someone like Foles and they have the draft capital to make a deal. Zac Taylor is headed to Cincinnati. Andy Dalton is 32 and due $16MM that the Bengals can shed and save every penny on the cap. Zac Taylor's brother happens to be our QB coach. Think Zac could get a sense of Nick Foles from his brother Press? Could Zac bring Press & Nick with him to Cincinnati? Just spit balling here but there is potential. The Dolphins have Tannehill and they could save $13MM by cutting him at age 31 and new coach Brian Flores knows what Foles can do to a defense.

I've outlined 6 teams that could fit with Foles based on their QB situation and their draft position. It isn't a great year for drafting a franchise QB.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
      60 - I think this will end with us franchising tagging him and a suitable trade does not pan out before the league year begins and to have cap space, we rescind the tag before 4PM on March 13. I predict Foles walks for free but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I will say it isn't because a team wouldn't be willing to take on Foles as their QB of the future. Foles is better than a lot of the league QBs. It's that teams know we don't hold any leverage in negotiations so why not simply wait until we drop the tag and you can get Foles for free?

As for teams that want him - you point out the natural fit with Jacksonville. I think the Redskins could be a distinct possibility. They don't draft until the middle of round 1 and they have nothing in terms of a future at QB especially with Alex Smith's injury. I'd also say for as much as Elway may like Drew Lock, I'm not sure he's ready to throw him to the wolves in year one OR year two. Foles would be a good fit there. The Raiders are another franchise that could really use someone like Foles and they have the draft capital to make a deal. Zac Taylor is headed to Cincinnati. Andy Dalton is 32 and due $16MM that the Bengals can shed and save every penny on the cap. Zac Taylor's brother happens to be our QB coach. Think Zac could get a sense of Nick Foles from his brother Press? Could Zac bring Press & Nick with him to Cincinnati? Just spit balling here but there is potential. The Dolphins have Tannehill and they could save $13MM by cutting him at age 31 and new coach Brian Flores knows what Foles can do to a defense.

I've outlined 6 teams that could fit with Foles based on their QB situation and their draft position. It isn't a great year for drafting a franchise QB.
      Last night's game can only help add to Foles trade value. Not many QBs have what it takes to perform in big games. Teams with playoff caliber Ds, like Denver and Jacksonville have to seriously consider trading for Foles.
      Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

The Redskins are a fascinating team in all of this. They don't have enough money under the cap to acquire a Foles and still improve their team. The Alex Smith contract is a real hinderance for them.

The QB that nobody is talking about that could go to Washington is Sudfeld. Washington Drafted him, and we stole him on waivers. From what I have seen from Sudfeld he is a borderline starter in this league but good enough. The draft really is devoid of QB's. By the time Washington picks at 15 Haskins will be gone (and I am not a big Haskins fan). Drew Lock Meh.

The Eagles are going to tender Sudfled most likely at a 2nd round tender. About 2.3 million dollars. I think Washington might pounce on that. Just a hunch.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

So, what if we get good value for Foles and as Taz mentions, Sudfeld. While I don't have a list of which QBs are FAs, I would certainly consider bringing in Kapernick to back up Wentz. He'd only cost his contract. Maybe time is the greatest healer but we've had controversial qbs here before. As long as he accepted backup role, I'd be fine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
            So, what if we get good value for Foles and as Taz mentions, Sudfeld. While I don't have a list of which QBs are FAs, I would certainly consider bringing in Kapernick to back up Wentz. He'd only cost his contract. Maybe time is the greatest healer but we've had controversial qbs here before. As long as he accepted backup role, I'd be fine with it.
            I don't know that I would give him the backup role. He hasn't played in two years and rust is real. But hey if he wants to come in and compete for the backup role I am all for it. I would also look at Tyrod Taylor if he is willing to be a backup and if we lose both of our backup QB's. I also think if Foles and Sudfeld go we probably look at at a 3rd day draft pick on a guy like Ryan Finley or even going back to North Dakota State and bringing in someone like Easton Stick (Just love the name don't know if he can play )
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Nope--- this side show would be 10x worse then Vick was.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                I gotta agree. I want no parts of Kapernick. A guaranteed distraction for a backup QB who hasn't played in a couple years, and didn't play well then.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                  and a tenth of the player Vick was
                  We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post

Steve if what you outlined is true than wouldn't it behoove one of them to trade for his rights than have to compete with other teams for him? I hope that you're right.
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                      I don't know that I would give him the backup role. He hasn't played in two years and rust is real. But hey if he wants to come in and compete for the backup role I am all for it. I would also look at Tyrod Taylor if he is willing to be a backup and if we lose both of our backup QB's. I also think if Foles and Sudfeld go we probably look at at a 3rd day draft pick on a guy like Ryan Finley or even going back to North Dakota State and bringing in someone like Easton Stick (Just love the name don't know if he can play )
                      I think that everybody is overestimating Suds value (and talent for that matter). I agree that I'd be all over Taylor like a new suit though if we could get him.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                        Last night's game can only help add to Foles trade value. Not many QBs have what it takes to perform in big games. Teams with playoff caliber Ds, like Denver and Jacksonville have to seriously consider trading for Foles.
                        Nick would have been flat on his back with that NE pass rush. Wentz is about the only guy that I can think of that would have had a chance last night against that defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                          I think that everybody is overestimating Suds value (and talent for that matter). I agree that I'd be all over Taylor like a new suit though if we could get him.
                          I'm just looking at the fact that the decision makers kept him around for a reason. There is not enough tape for anyone to say he's a dud or the greatest thing since sliced bread. What, he started 1 meaningless game , played a bit of mop up and preseason. No one has a clue what he can be.
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I think you may be underestimating Sudfeld. I haven't seen enough to say he is going to be a starter but the birds thought highly enough that they wanted to prevent others from getting him.
                            I've said before I expect some kind of a surprise when all is said and done. Not sure what that will be but it will be something no one is talking about.
                            Taz--Stick is a good QB albeit at NDSU. After his first season I thought he might turn out better than Wentz. Lots of awards but his issue is he is 6-2 not 6-5. Of course 6-2 isn't terrible. Don't recall off hand but his TD number this year was in high 20s and his Int number was in the single digits. He and Wentz talked after every game and he is following the Wentz pre-draft routine to a T I believe. Probably a mid to late round guy but will get a chance even if it is as an UDFA which is a possibility I would think
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                              I think you may be underestimating Sudfeld. I haven't seen enough to say he is going to be a starter but the birds thought highly enough that they wanted to prevent others from getting him.
                              I've said before I expect some kind of a surprise when all is said and done. Not sure what that will be but it will be something no one is talking about.
                              Taz--Stick is a good QB albeit at NDSU. After his first season I thought he might turn out better than Wentz. Lots of awards but his issue is he is 6-2 not 6-5. Of course 6-2 isn't terrible. Don't recall off hand but his TD number this year was in high 20s and his Int number was in the single digits. He and Wentz talked after every game and he is following the Wentz pre-draft routine to a T I believe. Probably a mid to late round guy but will get a chance even if it is as an UDFA which is a possibility I would think
                              That's 100% correct. You probably have a better chance of hitting the lottery than you have trying to guess what Howie will do in an offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                                Sounds like Easton Stick is on the list of unofficial visits.
                                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                                Hope is not a strategy
                                RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X