My thought on Hurts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thought on Hurts

I will say I really like Hurts as a player. He isn't Lamar Jackson, he isn't Mahomes I would have him in a Teir below that for that type of QB. However, I am absolutely stunned by the pick. Like I have never been before. In fact the last time I can really remember being so confused was when they took Randall Cunningham not because they didn't need a QB its because the NFL announced him as a Punter.

Now why would the Eagles do this. The only thing I am can think of is Wentz has had his fair share of injuries. He isn't a guy who seems to want to live the millionaire life. He likes to hunt fish spend time with family All not necessary expensive items. Has Wentz indicated to the Eagles that if he gets hurt again he may retire, just like Andrew Luck? We are seeing players do this more and more. I don't know this to be true but I do think it could be an explaination. Its far fetched and the only reason why selecting Hurts at 53 would make sense. Even then I am not so sure.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

I agree, I think he and his brother have a hunting show too. His first big contract may be his last. We discussed before about the league year and the increase in games. The league could be going in the direction the NBA has, where stars are sitting more for " management" reasons. I could see him as a short yardage back, 3rd and forever QB, gadget player and even a WR until he gets the call to play.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

New CBA plays a part too. Expanded to 55 and 47 active on game day. 17 game season. Depth is important.
      Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Leyt me say that on the surface Hurts seems to be the kind of teammate every locker room needs. The way he has handled himself the last 4 years is admirable. That kind of glue is important. is he the kind of player that becomes a weapon, I'm not sure. the NFL game is changing. We are seeing many more QB's look closer to Vick than Brady. Not sure he is a starting QB, but if he does become a starter, than we win. I have to think there is some credibility to what is said above that Wentz has not stayed healthy and wonder if some of the rumblings abut locker room discontent are not legit. If he is the last RB, can catch, plays special teams and is the 2/3 QB, we have a roster spot for someone else. Now, I still don't think all of this is a second round pick.

Comment

Has anybody considered the fact that Sudfield sucks? He came crawling back to the Eagles because nobody wanted him. The Eagles didn't even tender the guy. Add the fact that Wentz just can't finish a season for some reason and the pick makes perfect sense.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            Has anybody considered the fact that Sudfield sucks? He came crawling back to the Eagles because nobody wanted him. The Eagles didn't even tender the guy. Add the fact that Wentz just can't finish a season for some reason and the pick makes perfect sense.
            Taking Hurts does make sense. Taking Hurts in the 2nd round doesn’t.
            Last edited by Jukin; 04-25-2020, 03:49 PM.
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I'm calling this the Press Taylor pick. The only, and I mean only, explanation I can think of is that they are going to try and take the 2 guys on the field who can throw the ball thing beyond gadget status.

Comment

Sometimes guys with athletic ability at QB position take a little longer to develop. Where would Joe Burrow have been drafted last year? Add to that the fact that Hurts has excellent leadership qualities, a hugely important trait for a QB. Hurts was rated in the 60s/70s, so not a huge reach from a value standpoint. Dallas does not seem to want to pay Prescott long-term. Do we know that they weren’t ready to pounce on someone like Hurts, with very similar traits coming out of college? Suspect Hurts is not around for the Eagles to draft in the 3rd. We obviously had more pressing needs (Mims Mims Mims), but there is some logic to Howie’s madness.
                Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

I just read a couple of interesting things. Howie said that they plan on playing him like NO. uses Hill.

Also teams are really worried about covis19 and their QB getting it.

Comment

When viewed through this lens, the pick seems more palatable than in a vacuum of information. Not so much when I first saw it. These guys get the big bucks to figure this stuff out. So when they say it's for these reasons, I have to accept that such is the case. Surprised though. Hurts is a great guy by all accounts, and I hope for his success. If his acquisition leads to another Lombardi, then I'll soon forget my 'WTF-ness' after seeing the pick

Comment

Also, remember that this league at some point may go to 18 games and yet only letting the players play 16-- just another bonus to having a Hurts.

Comment

He isn't a guy who seems to want to live the millionaire life. He likes to hunt fish spend time with family All not necessary expensive items.

Really? There is absolutely no basis to that statement which might make it as dumb as Donald Trump saying chew on Lysol wipes. Have you ever met Wentz, his family, anyone from ND? I don't know what doesn't want to live the millionaire life means. Might mean he can spend millions on his faith. Any idea what hunting costs when you are big time hunter. Don't know the per capita number of millionaires in ND but I personally know many, many ag millionaires. Many, many more are oil people or people who get oil royalties in the millions. And the gov, who roomed with Steve Ballmer(sp?) at Stanford and is Carson's hunting buddy, started a software company the he sold to Microsoft for a cool billion.
                        Carson is pretty down to earth, as are most ND millionaires, but he likes his money just as most people do. Otherwise he probably couldn't afford that nice spread down there in Texas. This pick isn't on Carson it is on Howie & Co
                        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

Shocked? YES! Disappointed? Hell NO!

Comment

Fake news at it again!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                              Also, remember that this league at some point may go to 18 games and yet only letting the players play 16-- just another bonus to having a Hurts.
                              I didn't consider this angle. Good point.

And I'm guessing that the way the team staggered and fell short against Seattle after Wentz got cheap-shotted reinforced in their minds the need for a more mobile backup QB.

Additionally, the cap ramifications of Wentz's deal may have made a vet backup too heavy of an investment in the position as Wentz's cap hit balloons in 2021. Having a cost controlled backup QB option for 4-5 years may allow finite cap resources to be redirected to other team needs.

Comment

Working...
                              X