I know it's early, but TE will be interesting this summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know it's early, but TE will be interesting this summer

I'm thinking that Burton wants to get paid. He turned down a 2 year contract with the Eagles last year so I think that we will most likely lose him. Celek is really up in the air because there's no way the Eagles can pay him what he's scheduled to make. I'm sure the Eagles will encourage him to retire but let's face it, he'll make at least a million bucks playing somewhere if he wants to as a backup and you can't make that kind of money anyplace else. The gamble on All World Ertz (He has now earned that title!) sure paid off though (Nice move Howie!!). None of this is a newsflash but we just might have the replacements in house with recent players signed.

I thought Brown was really interesting and had a good shot to make it if we wanted to carry 4 TEs last season. He was a real good athlete with nice size despite playing D11 football. He could be ready.

Zaruba the Canadian rugby player was also impressive I thought in the exhibition games. I wonder what he'll look like this summer and if he's learned more about the game? I would think that he would have had to go to some type of clinic for that. Didn't he catch on with Jacksonville for a while after we let him go? He didn't stick with them though and signed with us so this is probably a huge long shot. We had another TE in camp too that caught the few passes that got thrown to him and was a pretty good blocker too but I can't remember his name. I see a Josh Perkins that we signed but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't him.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

you could always add this guy

We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Nice ballplayer I'm sure. I'm surprised McSorley hasn't been mentioned as one of the top QBs. Is he in this year's draft?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        Nice ballplayer I'm sure. I'm surprised McSorley hasn't been mentioned as one of the top QBs. Is he in this year's draft?
        I believe he has one more season at PSU

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
          I believe he has one more season at PSU
          I think he's better than the 2 Pac10 guys. I'm sure that he knows what he's doing.

Comment

Do you think Gesicki makes it to 4th round?

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
              Do you think Gesicki makes it to 4th round?
              6'7" 257. Probably not lol!

Comment

For some reason I think Burton is back. Of course for some reason I believe the Eagles win the SB every year and the Phils win the WS.
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                  Of course for some reason I believe the Eagles win the SB every year and the Phils win the WS.
                  Hey man have some faith. We are half way there this year and it’s only February!!!
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                    For some reason I think Burton is back. Of course for some reason I believe the Eagles win the SB every year and the Phils win the WS.
                    Well he made $2.81 million this year because he signed a 2nd round tendered deal. I know that the Eagles offered him a 2 year deal and he turned it down but I don't know how much it was for. I have no idea what his market value is, but I would think that he is probably a starting caliber TE. Maybe the fact that Celek made $7 million last year pissed him off, after all they all talk to each other. It seems the position is filled with stars these days so I don't know where he fits. It's like every team has one. I've got a link of TE salaries attached so maybe you can make some sense of it and can figure out what it would take to sign him. I'm thinking that they are going to spend any money that they have someplace else but who the heck knows?

https://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/

Comment

If he splits I can imagine him in Indy. That said, it’s also possible that Celek takes a cut/retires, thereby freeing up some cash and playing time for Burton

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                        If he splits I can imagine him in Indy. That said, it’s also possible that Celek takes a cut/retires, thereby freeing up some cash and playing time for Burton
                        Maybe, Flip sure knows him. Doyle was their TE last season and lead the team in receptions though.

Jack Doyle

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Celek is offered a restructured deal that is something like a 2-year deal that everyone knows will be voided after one, but allows them to put a small amount of cash in his pocket now but spread over 2 years for cap purposes, and play for close to vet minimum in 2018. That would give them a good blocking TE who's useful and a great team guy.

Then they either draft a pass-catching TE (those usually aren't that hard to find late in the draft) or if Brown has shown enough he can be that guy. That winds up as your 3rd TE who gets a portion of the 2-4 targets that Burton would get each game.

Considering their cap situation, I think something like that is the likely scenario.

I just don't see Burton coming back for anything less than $2.5-3M/year, and I'm not sure that's a luxury they can afford unless they somehow free up way more cap space than I'm expecting them to.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                            I wouldn't be surprised if Celek is offered a restructured deal that is something like a 2-year deal that everyone knows will be voided after one, but allows them to put a small amount of cash in his pocket now but spread over 2 years for cap purposes, and play for close to vet minimum in 2018. That would give them a good blocking TE who's useful and a great team guy.

Then they either draft a pass-catching TE (those usually aren't that hard to find late in the draft) or if Brown has shown enough he can be that guy. That winds up as your 3rd TE who gets a portion of the 2-4 targets that Burton would get each game.

Considering their cap situation, I think something like that is the likely scenario.

I just don't see Burton coming back for anything less than $2.5-3M/year, and I'm not sure that's a luxury they can afford unless they somehow free up way more cap space than I'm expecting them to.
                            It sounds like that's what they already offered him last year Chris and he turned it down. It sounds like he's going to test the waters first. If somebody wants him for a starter he'd get more. He's kind of a tough guy to put a price on because he doesn't get a ton of touches and the Eagles obviously know him better than anybody else. Probably a 50-50 shot.

Comment

I think Celek is going to retire if not he will be cut. He is not worth anywhere near 5 million.

Burton is probably going to get PAID. I would think somewhere in the 5 yr 35 mill range with some nice guarantees. Too rich for our blood.

Also read the tea leaves the Eagles tried several times this year to snag TE from other practice squads. TE is going to be a focus.

I would love to get the kid from Penn State Giesicki. For some reason, most draft sites have him as a 4th round pick. I think he goes in round 2 . He has a huge catch radius and is very atheletic. Maybe we can get him with one of the picks we get for Foles He would be a great robin to ertz Batman
                              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Working...
                              X