Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 08-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
tinopuno 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

tinopuno is on a distinguished road
Default Will Jordan Mailata actually make the final 53 man roster?

Mailata has made very surprising progress for a TOTALLY raw newcomer to our game of football. According to Domovich (and others) his rapid development has been so impressive, he may actually make the final cut.

http://www2.philly.com/philly/sports...-20180827.html

Brian's Baldinger's observation:
NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger, an offensive lineman for 11 years in the league, has been amazed at how far Mailata has come in such a short time.
"It's remarkable,'' he said. "It's one thing to go out there and do individual drills well. But when a guy with his limited experience can go into a game and get off on the snap count and use his hands and know when a guy is running a stunt and all that kind of stuff, it's like he's got football DNA in him.

It's not so much that the Birds think he'll get much playing time. It's concern that another team will jump on him if the Birds try to move him to the Practice Squad.

The Mailata saga borders on the unbelievable! Has Fresh been at work again?
tinopuno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:47 PM   #2
Pliny
2011 Contributor
Pro Bowler

Pliny has disabled reputation

If he has that kind of ability, they cannot risk putting him on the PS. He will either make the team or come up with some mysterious injury
Pliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:28 PM   #3
tinopuno 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
If he has that kind of ability, they cannot risk putting him on the PS. He will either make the team or come up with some mysterious injury

There is always that unavoidable risk isn't there?
Old 08-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #4
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinopuno View Post
There is always that unavoidable risk isn't there?
Now that Howie picks the roster I don't think that he can resist keeping him because he was a "Howie special.". After all, he kept his 2 jv players last year and it looks like one of them is going to stick. It won't take much positive feedback from the staff for him to include him among the first 53 for awhile. As I mentioned in another thread I think that they can keep him around until injuries start kicking in or PUP players return and they need his spot. After that they can have him pull up lame in practice and IR him like they did with the flea last year. As far as the PS goes tino you are right. He may or may not stay hidden. After all no matter how good or bad teams are they need guys that can help them now so teams might leave him alone. I guess that the Birds know best about that.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:49 AM   #5
musicman
Hall of Famer

musicman is on a distinguished road

I just saw a video of the kid. He is not only making the roster, but will be pushing Seumalo and Vaitai for their spots before long.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
Vet Turf
Pro Bowler

Vet Turf has disabled reputation

I could also see this guy being the 3rd string TE. If I am the eagles I don't add that responsibility this year to his drinking from the firehose but I wouldn't be surprised, if he is actually active, that he comes in as a 3rd TE for special situations. He can catch and is fast for his size. Maybe a trick play is installed.
Vet Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #7
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet Turf View Post
I could also see this guy being the 3rd string TE. If I am the eagles I don't add that responsibility this year to his drinking from the firehose but I wouldn't be surprised, if he is actually active, that he comes in as a 3rd TE for special situations. He can catch and is fast for his size. Maybe a trick play is installed.
Most people thought that he should have tried TE right from the start Vet. I think that the Birds have enough talent that they can stash him but as players fall during the year that's tough. Seumalo is the TE in short yardage situations for now. He is also much improved from last season!
Old 08-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
tinopuno 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet Turf View Post
The Birds have been trying to keep it very 'hush hush', but during closed practices they're giving Mailata some reps at QB. So far he's been taking only direct snaps because they say it will be another week or 2 before he's got the footwork down to take the snap under center. They're favoring a 3 step drop at this point because of his height. Even the most optimistic predictions don't have Jordon starting at QB before game 9 or 10.

In his spare time he's doing dual internships under both Howie and Doug.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinopuno View Post
The Birds have been trying to keep it very 'hush hush', but during closed practices they're giving Mailata some reps at QB. So far he's been taking only direct snaps because they say it will be another week or 2 before he's got the footwork down to take the snap under center. They're favoring a 3 step drop at this point because of his height. Even the most optimistic predictions don't have Jordon starting at QB before game 9 or 10.

In his spare time he's doing dual internships under both Howie and Doug.
I think that he's also making preparations for a run for the Democratic nomination for President in 2020.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
MDFAN
Hall of Famer

MDFAN has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle60 View Post
Most people thought that he should have tried TE right from the start Vet. I think that the Birds have enough talent that they can stash him but as players fall during the year that's tough. Seumalo is the TE in short yardage situations for now. He is also much improved from last season!
Actually if I remember right many didn't want him at all and called it a wasted project.
MDFAN is offline   Reply With Quote