Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 10-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
MDFAN
Hall of Famer

MDFAN has disabled reputation
Default Now or later?

So we have some real holes that need to be filled--- so do we go after some real talent now via trade --- or --- do we stay with what we got and just pick up some fill-ins for the rest of the year??
MDFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
Pliny
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Pliny has disabled reputation

I would prefer to see no major moves, unless Howie is able to rob somebody. This is starting to look like one of those lost seasons with all the injuries.

On the other hand, we have some pretty big free agents that probably won't be here (mainly Brandon Graham). It's not like the window is closing. But, prior to getting all the injuries, we looked ready for a run this year.
Pliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

It's not like Howie to sit on his hands. He's was working the phones this past week but couldn't swing any deals to his terms but I would't be surprised if we hear something soon. We all know how he loves to wheel and deal. As for having the money I'm sure that they have software for that stuff now to figure things out.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
taz
Pro Bowler

taz has disabled reputation

I think you always try to find real talent to fill a hole. In other words if a young RB like Jordan Howard is available and the cost is a 4th round pick you make it. However I am not sure we should be talking about giving up picks for rental players who we won't ever think about resigning.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
FearTheDawk
Veteran

FearTheDawk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
I think you always try to find real talent to fill a hole. In other words if a young RB like Jordan Howard is available and the cost is a 4th round pick you make it. However I am not sure we should be talking about giving up picks for rental players who we won't ever think about resigning.
This. And just sometimes there are no Ajayi-type deals to be made.
FearTheDawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:52 PM   #6
MDFAN
Hall of Famer

MDFAN has disabled reputation

Sorry, I was kinda trying to find out what the board thinks about about the direction they want to go?

Do we want to go full bore trying to save this season... or ..... save all our resources for next year?

Of course if you can make a great deal on someone who can help now AND in future .... you do it.
MDFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #7
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

So if you're Howie who do you call to make a deal? I think that the only teams ready to deal are Zona and Oakland. Everybody else is still in the hunt things are so tight. You could say Larry Fitz but they'd never let him go and he doesn't want to leave. I think we're porked.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
musicman
Hall of Famer

musicman is on a distinguished road

stand pat, let people get healthy. Lots of season to be played and the division isn't running away from us. End the season on a high note and don't give up any picks unless a steal of a deal comes along
Old 10-25-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
NoDakIggle 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

NoDakIggle has disabled reputation

I surely don't look to mortgage the future but this season is far from lost. Not at all impressed with some of the things I've seen this year but I really don't think they are that far off mark.
JMO but no one is running away with the division yet. Generally, the key is to get to the playoffs then see what happens. So this is an important week. To me they lose this week and they need to concentrate on the future because the possibility of the playoffs are about done.
At that point if I am Howie I engage contract talks right now and make a decision whether or not I think I can sign Graham, et al. Only signing or trading for people who can help in the future
Old 10-25-2018, 10:18 PM   #10
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDakIggle View Post
I surely don't look to mortgage the future but this season is far from lost. Not at all impressed with some of the things I've seen this year but I really don't think they are that far off mark.
JMO but no one is running away with the division yet. Generally, the key is to get to the playoffs then see what happens. So this is an important week. To me they lose this week and they need to concentrate on the future because the possibility of the playoffs are about done.
At that point if I am Howie I engage contract talks right now and make a decision whether or not I think I can sign Graham, et al. Only signing or trading for people who can help in the future
I just don't know how we can compete with the D line so depleted. We've got to bring somebody decent in one way or another. If the guys that we have now are played to exhaustion every week we'll lose more of them.