Leapfrog is a kiddie game....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leapfrog is a kiddie game....

...no more, no less. So, why do I keep hearing these so called sports journalists saying that the rest of the NFC East "leapfrogged" the Eagles during the offseason???

In search of an answer to this, I did something that these bonzos that think the opposition has passed us by probaby didn't bother to do. I took a look at the player departures and aquisitions for the other teams in our division, to see if they did indeed leapfrog us...

From USA today's team reports...

DALLAS COWFLAPPERS

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED: WR Terrance Copper; WR Patrick Crayton; S Keith Davis; G/C Andre Gurode; LS L.P. Ladouceur; P Matt McBriar; S Willie Pile; FB Lousaka Polite; CB Jacques Reeves; LB Scott Shanle.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED: LB Akin Ayodele; LB Rocky Boiman; S Marcus Coleman; TE Ryan Hannam; OL Kyle Kosier; WR Terrell Owens; PK Mike Vanderjagt.

PLAYERS LOST: OG Larry Allen; DT Willie Blade; TE Dan Campbell; LB Scott Fujita; DT La'Roi Glover; WR Keyshawn Johnson; LB Dat Nguyen; OT Jacob Rogers; OT Torrin Tucker.
    --------------------

NY VAGIANTS

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED: WR Tim Carter; QB Tim Hasselbeck; OG Lewis Kelly; RB/KR Chad Morton; WR/KR Willie Ponder; WR David Tyree; CB Frank Walker; OT Bob Whitfield.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED: LB LaVar Arrington; CB Jason Bell; S Will Demps; S Quentin Harris; DT Junior Ioane; QB Rob Johnson; CB Sam Madison; CB R.W. McQuarters; G/C Grey Ruegamer; LB Brandon Short.

PLAYERS LOST: S Brent Alexander; DT Kenderick Allen; CB Will Allen; DT Kendrick Clancy; LB Jay Foreman; LB Barrett Green; LB Nick Greisen; CB Will Peterson; OG Jason Whittle; S Shaun Williams.
    -------------------------

WASHINGTON FORESKINS

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED: LB Khary Campbell; RB Rock Cartwright; LB Chris Clemons; OG Derrick Dockery; DL Demetric Evans; LB Warrick Holdman; CB Ade Jimoh; DT Cedric Killings.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED: S Adam Archuleta; DE Andre Carter; QB Todd Collins; TE Christian Fauria; WR Brandon Lloyd; OL Mike Pucillo; WR Antwaan Randle El; C Tyson Walter; CB Kenny Wright.

PLAYERS LOST: LB LaVar Arrington; S Matt Bowen; OG Ray Brown; S Ryan Clark; CB Walt Harris; DT Brandon Noble; QB Patrick Ramsey; C Cory Raymer; TE Robert Royal; S Omar Stoutmire; P Tom Tupa.
    -----------------------------------

So, there it is folks. Judge for yourself. Now, if you want to compare these new lineups to what the Eagles had on the field at the end of the season last year, then sure, they passed us.

But, I'm sorry. The Redskins got some help, but they also lost some guys, like Arrington, Bowen, and Noble, who were good players. The Giants helped their secondary, but I think Arrington is a bit overrated, in that they didn't need pass rushers as much as coverage guys, and he's not that. I don't see it there either. And, the Cowboys have Owens, who is a great player, and will help them, but they didn't exactly light the world on fire as some seem to suspect.

Nope. You give me our injured players, starting with the McQuarterback, back, and throw in the major improvement along the defensive line, as well as a coverage LBer, which we have really lacked, and I just don't see leapfrog being anything other than a game kids play when they run out of other things to do. When's the last time you saw anyone play leapfrog anyway?

Well put!

It would be really interesting to know how much time/effort some sports journalists...and I use that term VERY LOOSELY...put in before they offer the world the benefit of their accumulated wisdom.

The general level of mediocracy of most "sports commentators" today is a mule that has been soundly beaten before, but it would me my guess that all too many of them take the lazy man's approach and simply recycle the consensus of what they've read/heard from other "sports experts".

FWIW, I felt the same way when the Birds were flying high and most of these clowns were bloated with praise of the "Eagles System".

Comment

It seems to me the weakness of the Cowgirls is their OL and the protection of Bledsoe which is vital to the effectiveness of their offense....TO, Witten and Co. will not get poo if Bledsoe is on his back or injured....oh and who is their backup QB? Can you say Drew Henson?

Losing Allen, Tucker and Rogers from that OL makes it even worse IMO...they kept Gurode who has talent, I believe they drafted 1-2 guys and Kozier might help, but the depth is limited.

The Giants have a similar problem with their OL and then the secondary has completely changed with the departure of Petersen, Allen, Williams and Stoutmire last year....RW is a mediocre CB, Jason Bell I have never heard of and Madison is probably still decent....their pass rush and LB play better be awesome or they are going to be attacked relentlessly via the pass IMO...they lost Griesen, Clancy, Allen and Green who were decent players in those defensive areas...I agree on Arrington being a bad fit for the Giants and I cannot wait until the Eagles force him to choose between covering LJ, Schoebel or Westy...on the same play.

The Redskins also have some issues on their OL and protecting old man Brunell...they did keep Dockery and finally let Brown go, but also lost Raymer who was their best C IMO....if Brunell goes down in steps Jason Campbell who is as raw from all the reports I have read....they traded Ramsey even though IMo that was their QB of the future if Gibbs had been more patient with him and actually given him a shot to play rather than installing the "offense manager" Brunell....they will depend again on Portis mostly and their defense which is quite good....

These teams have improved over what they were in 2001-2003, but in 2004 they had started to improve and the Eagles still pounded them...they got a bit better last year again and the Eagles were 4-2 out of the gate....then the whole structure collapsed and they pounded us...I do not believe we are as bad as we looked and they are as good as they looked....in fact I think the 2 year improvement scale has plateaued for each team except maybe Dallas...they look IMO like the best challenger we have and it will be fun to watch.

Sports writers definitely have the memory of a snail....they only remember really the last game they saw it seems and as the off-season goes along their memory of even that contest seem to fade quickly....they fall back on their usual cache of cliche, gossip, rumor, vast generalizations, the normal "FA-bling-bling = wins" stupidity and general laziness...
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

The absolute bottom line is this:

- The media is in bed with Bill Parcells. The National fans love the Dallas Cowboys stories and the crack cocaine of news media that is Terrell Owens was their #1 acquisition.

Aside from Owens - the team did jack in upgrading their team. Their o-line can be considered middle of the road in NFL circles and their defensive backfield is severely overrated when playing pass intensive teams.

Terry Glenn and Drew Bledsoe are both minutes from being on the Injured list and you allow that to happen and you're staring down the barrell of a TO fire storm.

Dallas is not a good team. They showed that last year - and ask the 2004 49ers if Terrell Owens helps not very good teams all of a sudden walk to the Super Bowl from the WR position.

As for the Skins? Please. Please and Please.

Giants I give credit to at every position but the QB position. I love that Eli Manning is their QB for years. He's a giant primadonna and someday a giant problem for them.

Biased as I may be - I'd take the Eagles to win this division everyday of the week if my families lives are on the line.
        Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
        Playoff Appearances:
        NFC Title Games:
        Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Agree with BP - the only team in the division that scares me is the Gnats. The Skins and Boys will be lucky to hit 9-7.
          The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

I think there is a serious problem with overall football analysis amongst the mainstream media. Some guys don't seem to really understand the game that well. I'd say 50% of the football "experts" on TV and writing articles think the games is all about the skill positions.

I wait for the day that I read not just a lone article, but a general media consensus that Team A should improve because they really improved their offensive line. Or Team B will be much tougher defensively, because of they've improved (list of areas of improvements).

Rather than "And you know this offense is gonna put up points with TO in da house." Or, "You gotta like them as a contender, because this player is just a BEAST on D" or something like that.

Football is such an amazing team game, and on top of that probably the game where the coaching staff has the greatest impact...and yet, the majority of the media, wants us to talk about the "playmakes" and individualize something that takes some many people being on the same page to happen.

Comment

More to Captain's point - all prejudice aside - Troy Aikman does a very good job as an Analyst. It kills me to say it. Ugh.
              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
              Playoff Appearances:
              NFC Title Games:
              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by The Captain
                I think there is a serious problem with overall football analysis amongst the mainstream media. Some guys don't seem to really understand the game that well. I'd say 50% of the football "experts" on TV and writing articles think the games is all about the skill positions.

I wait for the day that I read not just a lone article, but a general media consensus that Team A should improve because they really improved their offensive line. Or Team B will be much tougher defensively, because of they've improved (list of areas of improvements).

Rather than "And you know this offense is gonna put up points with TO in da house." Or, "You gotta like them as a contender, because this player is just a BEAST on D" or something like that.

Football is such an amazing team game, and on top of that probably the game where the coaching staff has the greatest impact...and yet, the majority of the media, wants us to talk about the "playmakes" and individualize something that takes some many people being on the same page to happen.
                Good post and the bottom line to it all is ---- $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

They make money, thus they write what makes them more money. There is no incentive to learn the game or even cover it in a journalistic fashion. What appeals and sells pays the rent! And until that changes I am afraid we are stuck with a very very mediocre media!

Comment

Working...
                X