• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Ward belongs on the roster-He's a rocket!-Domo

Mike Quick on Eagles wide receiver Greg Ward: ‘He’s ready’

by Paul Domowitch, Updated: August 16, 2019
    Mike Quick on Eagles wide receiver Greg Ward: ‘He’s ready’
    Mike Quick knows a little something about the wide-receiver position. He can recognize who can play it and who can’t. And there’s no doubt in his mind that Greg Ward can.

“He’s ready,’’ said Quick, a five-time Pro Bowler who has the third-most receiving touchdowns (61) and receiving yards (6,464) in Eagles history. “There’s a transition period for a guy like that who’s moving from [college] quarterback to receiver. But he’s so talented. He’s ready.’’

After two swings-and-misses at making the Eagles’ roster the last two summers, the former University of Houston quarterback is making it difficult for the team to cut him a third time.

Ward, 24, has had an outstanding training camp, and he continued to make his case for a roster spot Thursday night with a 38-yard touchdown reception in the Eagles’ 24-10 preseason win over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

“When you get opportunities, you try to capitalize,’’ Ward said.

The 5-foot-11, 190-pound Ward got his opportunity early in the second quarter when he blew by Jaguars safety C.J. Reavis on a fourth-and-4 play. He had Reavis beaten by 3 yards, but the pass from rookie Clayton Thorson was underthrown.

[email protected]
    Ward adjusted and made the catch, then beat Reavis again as he cut to the middle of the field and outraced him and another Jacksonville defensive to the end zone.

The Checkdown

@thecheckdown
    Greg Ward Jr. played quarterback in college. He's already got his first TD in the NFL as a wide receiver 👊👊 @G_Ward1

Embedded video
    7:54 PM - Aug 15, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    48 people are talking about this
    “He was just playing aggressive, and I got his hands off me,’’ Ward said. “He was real heavy on his feet. Trying to use his hands a lot instead of his feet. I swiped his hands and sprung myself open and made the catch. After that, it was just the will to win, man. Trying to score.’’

There still are two more preseason games to play, still 10 more practices to get through before the Eagles have to get their roster down to 53 players.

A lot can happen between now and then, which is why Ward, who already has had his heart broken twice by the Eagles, isn’t looking very far into the future.

“I’m just trying to take it day by day,’’ he said. “I’m not looking ahead, not looking at the [roster] numbers. Just taking care of what I can take care of. Going out there and putting my best foot forward.’’

If Ward, who never really was a serious contender for a roster spot the last two summers, had paid attention to the numbers when training camp opened three weeks ago, he probably would have packed his bags and gone home.

Four wide-receiver spots already were locked up by Alshon Jeffery, Nelson Agholor, DeSean Jackson and second-round rookie J.J. Arcega-Whiteside long before Ward ever reported to camp. And assuming his injured groin finally had healed, 2017 fourth-round pick Mack Hollins seemed to have a pretty good grip on the fifth — and maybe final — job.

It still remains to be seen how many wideouts the Eagles will keep. They kept six last year. But even if they keep only five, Ward is pushing Hollins for that spot.

Hollins has missed valuable time this summer with yet another lower-body injury. He played a few snaps Thursday night, catching one pass for 5 yards.

Hollins is an excellent special teams player. It’s one of the reasons the Eagles drafted him. If you’re the fifth or sixth wideout on the roster, you have to be able to make a special teams contribution.

But Ward has played well on special teams as well in the first two preseason games. He was on both the kickoff and punt coverage teams Thursday night.

“Greg is super conscientious,’’ special teams coach Dave Fipp said. “Super smart. You can play him at any spot. He’s really competitive.’’

Ward isn’t shy about asking for help on how to become a better special teams player.

“I’ve been talking to [safety] Malcolm Jenkins every day and seeing what I can do to improve,’’ he said. “I was even talking to him during the game. I was asking him to watch every single rep and tell me what I could do better. He’s somebody I can always talk to.’’

As an undrafted rookie two years ago, Ward spent most of the Eagles’ Super Bowl season on the practice squad after getting cut. Last year, he was signed again to the practice squad after not making the 53-man roster, but he was released a week later.

He spent last fall out of football before signing with the San Antonio Commanders in the short-lived spring league, the Alliance of American Football.

Greg Ward came to Eagles training camp knowing there were few rosters spots available at wide receiver.
    Ward still has a year of practice-squad eligibility, but it won’t be an option this year. Other teams have noticed his play this summer.

“I’d hate to see them lose him,’’ said Quick, the Eagles’ longtime radio analyst. “If they put him on the practice squad, somebody is going to pick him up right away. There’s no question about that.’’

Ward played only eight games in the AAF before the league shut down with two scheduled games left. But he said the experience is a big reason he’s been playing so well this summer. He credits San Antonio’s wide receivers coach, Keith Williams, with helping him take his development as a receiver to another level.

Williams "was always emphasizing that I need to sink my hips on routes,’’ Ward said. “I learned a lot from him. He helped my game a lot. We’d watch film, and if we weren’t doing something right, he would catch it and point it out to us and coach us up.’’

Ward has excelled in the slot in camp this summer, but he can play all three wide-receiver spots. His quarterback background also makes him an intriguing gimmick weapon on jet sweeps and options for head coach Doug Pederson.

The Eagles ran an option with him in the third quarter Thursday night, but his pass to wide receiver Carlton Agudosi was slightly underthrown.

“It kind of got away from me,’’ he said with a regretful smile. “I gotta get back to the drawing board. I wish I had that one back.’’

Eagles Nation
    @PHLEaglesNation
    According to @DZangaroNBCS, the #Eagles plans were to play Greg Ward Jr. at QB in the event that Thorson went down with an injury.

Who would’ve liked to see the former dynamic QB behind center?⚡️

Ward actually became the Eagles’ backup quarterback Thursday night after Cody Kessler suffered a concussion early in the game. With Carson Wentz not playing, if something had happened to Thorson, Ward would have played quarterback.

“We had him on standby,’’ Pederson said. “He was coached up and ready to go.’’

Ward walked out of the visitors’ locker room at TIAA Bank Field on Thursday night happy with his performance. But nothing is settled yet, nothing has been accomplished. He knows that.

“You’re never relaxed, never comfortable,’’ he said. “I have a lot to learn. I have a long way to go. My main focus right now is getting back home and taking care of my body so that I can be in top shape when we get back to practice.’’
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Looking at the depth chart I don't envy Doug & Co when it comes down to cuts unless two or three guys get season ending hang nails next week.
    They'll carry ten DLinemen but they have six DEs and six DTs who are roster worthy.
    They have a ton of LBs but none are elite. Since all are pretty close in talent someone better be making some ST noise in order to stand out. I think Worrilow will be cut and maybe Edwards and Single ton can be stashed somewhere. That still leaves five LBs.
    Jenkins and McCleod are the safeties but Cyprien, Sendejo, and Sullivan can't all fit on the roster I wouldn't think. I think Sullivan is looking for another team.
    How many WRs can they keep. Four are certain and two (Michel/Agudosi) are PS types. But that leaves Hollins, Ward, Johnson looking for one spot; two at the most. I think Ward gets it.
    On the plus side I don't think the ten OLinemen, four RBs, or three TEs are tough to figure out.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Some tough cuts are coming for sure ND. I don't think any team will jump at the chance of grabbing Sweat or Miller though. Have we carried 10 O linemen in the past? That seems like a lot. You're right about our DTs though, whoever gets cut gets picked up pretty quickly. Sully is also the odd man out at safety. DB is a logjam that they should try to get straightened out. Sure we've got talent there but no continuity.

As for linebacker I think that Singleton sticks. He reminds me of Kamu when he was a rookie. With his attitude you can tell that he'll be a good special teamer who will eventually help you at linebacker.

As for wr I think that it would be foolish to let a playmaker like Ward go. He'd be picked up before he made it out of the parking lot. He almost came out of nowhere and has the same kind of game as Julian Edelman. The Knife might be in trouble there, especially with some of his mysterious injuries that he's been getting. TE might be their toughest area to judge if they just go with 3 because they have all looked so good. Ellis, Perkins and Tye have all looked good along with Rogers and there is a slight possibility that they go with 4 TEs this year. This roster is sure deep!! Now we just need the Messiah to get us there.

Comment

And now I just read from Spads: "And, finally, how about a huge hand for defensive tackle Aziz Shittu, who was added to the roster this week and then went out and played his butt off with a quarterback sack and two passes tipped at the line of scrimmage. Talk about making the most of an opportunity." That must have happened in the 4th quarter when I got tired of rewinding plays for 3 hours and called it a day lol.

I'm thinking that the Birds will keep 6 wrs this year and both Ward and the Knife make it. If they keep Singleton and Hill we should have great STs this season with the 5 of them!

Comment

if you go six WR do you go 9 on the line or three at TE. Maybe you can go 9 on the OL if Brooks isn't ready for game one but if he is then someone like Pryor or Mailata has to head for PS or cut Wiz (which wouldn't be a complete surprise). I don't think either will make it through waivers. If you keep Singleton then either Fort, Brown, Bradham, Kamu, or Gerry don't make it. As I said I think most of the LBs aren't a hell of a lot different so maybe Gerry goes; but they've kept him around in the past.
          I just wonder who is going to come up with a season ending hangnail next week so the birds keep their rights for the year.
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            if you go six WR do you go 9 on the line or three at TE. Maybe you can go 9 on the OL if Brooks isn't ready for game one but if he is then someone like Pryor or Mailata has to head for PS or cut Wiz (which wouldn't be a complete surprise). I don't think either will make it through waivers. If you keep Singleton then either Fort, Brown, Bradham, Kamu, or Gerry don't make it. As I said I think most of the LBs aren't a hell of a lot different so maybe Gerry goes; but they've kept him around in the past.
            I just wonder who is going to come up with a season ending hangnail next week so the birds keep their rights for the year.
            I think Gerry goes ND. It seems that Brown only shows up on game day because he's been running with the 2's and 3's in practice. Most likely it would be Singleton to be placed on IR if it comes to that. The way we've been dropping like flies we can't count on anybody until September 8th. On top of that maybe Singleton doesn't want to go along with it and goes back and plays in Canada. He doesn't strike me as the sit around type.

Comment

Well one of the LBs is gone. Worrilow-- kind of expected that since he seemed the easiest of the 90 or so players in camp. Still think Edwards and Singleton can be stashed on PS. Bad thing is everyone in league knows the birds are going to cut a couple of guys who can make other rosters.
              I have hopes Howie can get a seventh round pick or two before they have to make the cuts
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                Well one of the LBs is gone. Worrilow-- kind of expected that since he seemed the easiest of the 90 or so players in camp. Still think Edwards and Singleton can be stashed on PS. Bad thing is everyone in league knows the birds are going to cut a couple of guys who can make other rosters.
                I have hopes Howie can get a seventh round pick or two before they have to make the cuts
                Good points. There's no way around it, we have to say good by to some good talent. I just like the way Singleton lights people up LOL! Pryor can be an out and out bulldozer at times too. Then again beating up Jacksonville's scrubs shouldn't get us overly excited.

Comment

maybe some of our d-line depth can be exchanged for some LB depth from another team.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
                    maybe some of our d-line depth can be exchanged for some LB depth from another team.
                    Vet has inside info LOL!!

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...e-buckeyes-nfl

Eagles sign former Bengals linebacker

Just some depth.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Aug 19, 2019, 10:26am EDT

The Philadelphia Eagles signed free agent linebacker Chris Worley, according to an official announcement from the team. (Not to be confused with former short-lived Eagles cornerback Daryl Worley.)

Worley, 23, originally signed with the Cincinnati Bengals as an undrafted rookie free agent following the 2018 NFL Draft. The Ohio State alumnus spent time on the Bengals’ practice squad before getting called up and appearing in two games.

The Bengals cut Worley back in late July. He then signed with the Seattle Seahawks before getting cut again just a few days later.

The Eagles are clearly signing Worley just to help them fill some training camp reps and preseason snaps. With Nigel Bradham still not fully recovered and Kamu Grugier-Hill still out with a knee injury, there’s a need for an extra practice body.

The Eagles had a vacant roster spot after cutting veteran linebacker Paul Worrilow on Sunday evening. The Worley signing brings the team back to the offseason 90-man limit.

Comment

Working...
                    X