Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official media prognosticators thread

(aka the dumbasses in the world thread)

Ok guys, we need a place to keep track of all the media pundits and what they are predicting. Link if possible. Date of prediction if possible.

First up:

Sports Illustrated (on 8/28 ) have the Eagles going 9-7 and missing the playoffs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... index.html

As suggested by YPCM, there will be no discussion in this thread. Only links and predictions. I've deleted 2 posts.

This is a good idea, actually. We should do this every year.

Here's an idea...Can we have a "stickied" thread generally clean of discussion where the posts in the thread would just be "The Source, Their prediction."? It would be cool to go back and look at it after the season to see who the biggest idiots were.

Comment

mike and mike from espn radio

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/new ... 06NFLpicks

mike greenberg: 8-8
      mike golic: 7-9

sidenote: both agree that those records will have us finishing last
      Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

While there is no record prediction, Clark judge picks the Birds to finish first in the NFC East (8/22/06, before Stallworth was even picked up).

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9613770

Comment

Yahoo's Take on the NFC East

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

NFC EAST

NEW YORK GIANTS (10-6)=

Strengths: A veteran receiving bunch led by Amani Toomer, Plaxico Burress and TE Jeremy Shockey, plus one of the best all-around backs in the NFL, Tiki Barber. Brilliant pass rushers Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora at DE, who should open lanes for newcomer LB LaVar Arrington. MLB Antonio Pierce is a leader and a force. The kicking game is solid.

Weaknesses: QB Eli Manning regressed late last season, but he did lead New York to the division crown. Then the Giants were routed by Carolina and Manning was awful in the playoff game. Which Eli will it be this year? The DTs are weak and Barber makes the offensive line look better than it is.

Player to watch: Guard Chris Snee, coach Tom Coughlin's son-in-law, needs to be the pile-driver who reinforces the running game while helping protect Manning.

Why they will finish first: They have enough leadership and stars to hold off Dallas.

DALLAS COWBOYS (10-6, wild card)=

Strengths: In his fourth season in charge, coach Bill Parcells finally has the pieces he wants. The defense is the division's best, led by LB DeMarcus Ware, a fine group of linemen, SS Roy Williams and CBs Terence Newman and Anthony Henry. Terry Glenn and, if he ever gets healthy, Terrell Owens will form a dynamic receiving duo. Jason Witten might be the NFC's best tight end.

Weaknesses: Drew Bledsoe must be given time to deliver the ball, and this offensive line is one of the weakest Parcells ever has coached. A return to form by LT Flozell Adams is a must. So is a better running game, although Julius Jones and Marion Barber III are capable of providing it.

Player to watch: It would be Owens if anyone was sure he will actually get on the field. Instead, go with Ware, who can be a spectacular pass rusher and is just learning how good he might be.

Why they will finish second: The T.O. factor will hurt just enough to slide behind New York, but into the playoffs.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (9-7, wild card)=

Strengths: If he's recovered from the sports hernia that plagued his 2005 season almost as much as T.O. did, Donovan McNabb is a Pro Bowl quarterback and a winner. Multidimensional RB Brian Westbrook, PK David Akers and TE L.J. Smith are pluses. MLB Jeremiah Trotter and an outstanding secondary highlight the aggressive defense that was bolstered by the acquisition of end Darren Howard.

Weaknesses: Westbrook is about all they have to run the ball, and the receivers are average; the addition of Donte' Stallworth should help there. McNabb and Westbrook need upgraded play from the offensive line, and the other LBs don't measure up to Trotter.

Player to watch: McNabb is the unquestioned leader and key to returning Philadelphia to prominence. Healthy and without Owens bothering him, he should re-establish himself.

Why they will finish third: Even with McNabb healthy, rest of offense isn't up to standard of a tough division.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS (9-7)=

Strengths: Coordinator Gregg Williams' defense is aggressive, smart and plays with passion. LB Marcus Washington, DBs Shawn Springs, Sean Taylor and Carlos Rogers can be difference makers, and SS Adam Archuleta was a nice addition. H-back/TE Chris Cooley and WR Santana Moss are first-rate, and will be helped by newcomer Antwaan Randle El.

Weaknesses: Obviously the Redskins are concerned about Clinton Portis (shoulder), because they traded for T.J. Duckett. The offensive line has fallen off even though it has plenty of talent. Mark Brunell might have one good season left, but he might not. Is Jason Campbell ready to be the starting QB if Brunell falters?

Player to watch: Duckett has shown little in the pros, so Portis needs to be in form and rush for 1,500 yards again.

Why they will finish fourth: They are in the wrong division. The Skins would win the NFC North and contend in the NFC West.
          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Ventura County Power Rankings
            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/060906

Comment

This is pretty cool though:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... ms/eagles/
                Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                Playoff Appearances:
                NFC Title Games:
                Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I had this exchange with John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. The follow is an excerpt from his blog site (link attached) in his blog he talks up the eagles but I heard him during the preseason talk about how bad the eagles would be, So I called him on it, He actually answered and put my comment in his blog column

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/09/youv ... ot_an.html

“Because I like and respect Gary Kubiak so much, I'd like to see him start with a victory, but I believe the Eagles are going to be a whole lot better than I thought they'd be early in camp. The more I've studied them and listened to Texans players as well as people around the league I trust, the more I'm thinking the Eagles might win the NFC East.”

Name: chuck
                  Email Address: [email protected]
                  URL:
                  Comments:

Mr. McClain,
                  I enjoy your insights most of the time, but I've got a little bone to pick with you.
                  Looks like you've got the all the angles covered for this game, I've heard you ridicule McNabb for stating that he thought the receivers were good enough for us to get to the Super bowl.
                  In fact you said (to paraphrase)"The Eagles are gonna be bad this year, there not going to the super bowl and I think there gonna come in here on opening day and the Texans are gonna beat them."

Mind you that McNabb was asked how he felt about his receivers. What is he supposed to say? I don't think we can get er done?

Anyway it looks like you have hedged your bet a little with some more "studying" of the eagles or maybe some of your more eagle knowledgable colleagues enlightened you.

I think you are very good with the Texan, Cowboy and Titan stuff, and I enjoy your radio stuff but I really felt like you made an uninformed comment about the birds.

So what is your official pick for this game.

Date: Thu Sep 7 18:09:51 2006
                  [ Add to Address Book | Block Address | Report as Spam ]

To: <[email protected]>
                  Subject: RE: [NFL] New Comment Posted to 'You've got questions; he's got answers'

Chuck,

My pick will be in Friday's Chronicle. Going into camp, I thought the Eagles were going to finish last in the East. And for the reasons I stated in my story and blog, I've changed my mind. Is that okay?

I hope so.

Good luck this season.

john

Comment

here's Didinger's take:
                    http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.co ... p?ID=36597

Comment

i just dont get how you can do any kind of eagles preview and have that much emphasis on last year's season. even if the d was healthy the whole year, they a> didnt have howard b> didnt have the rotation on the dline c> they didnt have an offense that could give them any kind of positivity or even keep them off the field
                      Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

Uh...I already do this.

http://picksspreadsheet.blogspot.com

Download the Excel sheet labeled 2006 NFL Predictions. Its all there .

Comment

Working...
                        X