Birds take big hit in scouting department

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    That will depend how big Howie's ego is/became. If he truly is the New Howie that will happen. If not it will be "attaboy Joey, go get em tiger". We'll see..
    I don't think this is fair. Howie gives Joe plenty of props, hell he has him out there with him on most press conferences. I think they work together as a team really well.

I don't think the Eagles or Howie would ever stand in Joe's way of getting a higher position.

Would they try to keep him, I am sure they will, I am sure that Lurie would open the checkbook (as he has almost always done) and pay the man. But lets be clear, There is only one GM per team and Howie is our GM. If Joe wants to be a GM elsewhere they will not stand in his way, will wish him luck and even may make a trade or two with him in the future
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
      I don't think this is fair. Howie gives Joe plenty of props, hell he has him out there with him on most press conferences. I think they work together as a team really well.

I don't think the Eagles or Howie would ever stand in Joe's way of getting a higher position.

Would they try to keep him, I am sure they will, I am sure that Lurie would open the checkbook (as he has almost always done) and pay the man. But lets be clear, There is only one GM per team and Howie is our GM. If Joe wants to be a GM elsewhere they will not stand in his way, will wish him luck and even may make a trade or two with him in the future
      This is all very true but there are several other things to also consider. One is exactly what the job is. Just because Douglas and Gase know each other doesn't mean they are great buddies. Also the job description might not be to his liking. If he has total control he might go for it. I'm sure that any GM talks to his coach before he makes roster moves so that might not be that big of a deal but Gase might want more power. The biggest factor may well be what he thinks of Darnold. He may not be that high on him and face the possibility of being stuck in QB hell for another decade or more. The Jets seem to have been there for the last 20 years like that whole shit division has been except NE. About the only thing the Jets do have are great fans.

Then again Joe might be thrilled at the opportunity. Let's face it, most GMs that get fired are because the teams suck.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Will Douglas want to join this mess???

The MMQB
        NFL MMQB GAME PLAN
        Who Wants to Take on the Chaos and Be the Next GM of the New York Jets?

The Jets fired GM Mike Maccagnan this week, the latest move in their offseason of disorganization. Now who will step up alongside Adam Gase to be the leader this team needs? Also, answering your questions about Patrick Mahomes’s offensive weapons, Joe Flacco’s role in Denver, the Dolphins’ future and more.
        By ALBERT BREER May 16, 2019
        Imagine you’re Christopher Johnson, tasked with finding the Jets’ next GM, and you have to sell someone on coming to New York. Where do you start?

The Jets’ 2018 season ended with a coach just going through the motions while playing out the season, having known for weeks that he would be fired at the end. You let the now-axed GM lead the coaching search, and the candidates included a college coach who nearly landed the job but walked away after learning he couldn’t bring some of his desired assistants, and a college coach who flew in for an interview on short notice but accepted another job on his flight out, more or less.

After finally settling on a new head coach—a well thought-of, albeit just fired quarterbacks guru—you doubled down on the incumbent GM (the man you just fired) as the offseason kicked off, handing him a checkbook for free agency and the third overall pick in the NFL draft. Spend? Did he ever spend—assigning an aggregate APY (average per year) of about $40 million to tailback Le’Veon Bell, linebacker C.J. Mosley and receiver Jamison Crowder.

You did all of this and then fired him. If this was all part of a greater plan, it doesn’t look like a very good plan. And if it wasn’t? Well, it’s fair to reason that’s even worse, since that GM led the head-coaching search.

As for what’s ahead, depending in part on next year’s election, your brother Woody could return from the UK as soon as 2020 to take back control of the team, which will make that new coach and this candidate instantly the hires of someone else. So will the new GM be on the clock in a hurry? That’s not really for you to say.

Anyway… Anyone want this job?

In this week’s Game Plan, we’re going to get to all your questions from a week suddenly made much more interesting when the Jets fired GM Mike Maccagnan, including those on …

But we’re starting in Florham Park, which is the same as it always was.

With everything above standing, the Jets will find someone. There are only 32 GM jobs, and fewer than that come with full roster authority. This one has merits—Sam Darnold is, in some evaluators’ eyes, among the top three or four quarterback prospects to come into the league this decade, and Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams and Quinnen Williams give the defense a young backbone.

Conversely, there’s a lot that made it abundantly clear how badly the organization was misaligned—a result of too many people acting as foot soldiers and not enough stepping up as generals. There was no big blowup in the building, no public display of dissension. But there was plenty of passive aggression to make up for that.

• There was a widespread belief in the organization that the pursuit of Bell was spurred by ownership—or moreso that Maccagnan conducted it because he knew that’s what the Johnsons wanted. In the process, Gase informed others in the building that he didn’t want Bell, but said that, if Bell signed, he’d be fine coaching him. Fair or not, some saw that as Gase distancing himself from the decision, while lining himself up for credit if it worked, in large part because that matched up with his reputation in Miami.

• Mosley was a different case. Gase had him No. 1 on his veteran wish list from the start, I’m told, which explains the wild price the Jets paid to get him: $17 million per, which is nearly $5 million per more than Luke Kuechly made as the NFL’s highest paid off-ball linebacker in 2018. The coach saw him as the type of cultural tone-setter he wanted for his program. Even if no one was crazy about the price tag, the Jets knew they’d have to overpay to beat out Baltimore, which badly wanted to keep him. They wound up a full $3 million per past the Ravens in the process.

• Some friction ahead of free agency was settled well before the draft, and with goals accomplished on the veteran market, many in the building were led to believe that the Maccagnan/Gase partnership was moving forward. Then before the draft, another small sign that aligned with how the Bell situation was perceived cropped up. The coaches ranked Quinnen Williams above Houston DT Ed Oliver, but gushed over Oliver in meetings. This was seen, again, as coaches covering themselves on both ends of a decision, this time openly lusting for one player while toeing the line on the league-wide consensus that the other was better.

• Through it all, Maccagnan held the trigger, and came under criticism internally over a lack of decisiveness that matched poorly with others playing both sides of decision; he’d collect opinions but rarely came down strongly on one side or another in meetings. But free agency and the draft were his shows—In fact, in the war room on draft weekend, Gase was relatively quiet. So it’s easy to ask why Johnson allowed his lame-duck GM to run the bulk of the offseason, if there was a plan to go in another direction (and rumors were circulating about Maccagnan and potential replacement Joe Douglas weeks before the draft). In a similar situation two years ago, the Bills wound up quietly giving command of the draft to coach Sean McDermott, knowing Doug Whaley was on the outs. That didn’t happen here.

• And while we’re there, amid all of Wednesday’s tumult, it took less than 12 hours for Gase to ship out Maccagnan’s big first-round miss as GM—linebacker Darron Lee. The previous regime had discussed a Lee trade with the Chiefs for a few weeks and was holding firm in asking for a fifth-round pick. Shortly after Maccagnan was fired, Kansas City sensed opportunity, and called to offer their 2020 sixth-round pick for Lee, who the Chiefs view as one of the best pure cover linebackers in football. As interim GM, I’m told Gase was indeed the one who did a deal that quickly finalized. That, by the way, leaves just five players (Leonard Williams, Jordan Jenkins, Brandon Shell, Lac Edwards and Charone Peake) from Maccagnan’s first two draft classes, with players from those classes heading into Years 4 and 5.

Again, if you’re Johnson, can you sell that?

The lead candidate to replace Maccagnan is Douglas, the Eagles VP of player personnel, and one of the NFL’s most respected evaluators. He’d be Gase’s pick. And if the Jets can land him, I’d bet on the chance that having traipsed through this smoldering fire would prove worth it for New York.

But with all the associated rubble, Douglas would have a lot to consider before taking the job.

The ex-Ravens exec served 16 years in Baltimore, mostly on the road as a college scout, before a one-year stop in Chicago (where he crossed over with then-Bears OC Adam Gase) that led to becoming the Eagles’ No. 2 behind Howie Roseman in 2016. In Philly, Douglas helped build a Super Bowl champion team with staying power, and has positioned himself in a similar spot to the one Chris Ballard was in three years ago.

Coming up in Chicago, then landing in Kansas City as John Dorsey’s top lieutenant, Ballard turned down GM opportunity after GM opportunity, waiting for the right one to open up—with a quarterback and, preferably, in the Midwest—knowing that the Chiefs were stable and his stock was high. The benefits of that patience, and wisdom, are now on full display in Ballard’s Indianapolis.

So is this Douglas’s version of Indy? Darnold makes it enticing. Johnson could crash a Brink’s armored truck into his house, making it even harder to say no.

Douglas—who, from a reputation and demeanor standpoint, is actually similar to Ballard—is sharp enough to evaluate everything about his next step before he takes it, knowing, of course, that it’s the final rung of the ladder for a scout to climb. That’s why he very carefully has to consider what happened the last four months in Florham Park.

Maybe the deal is already done. That would explain the timing, among other things, of the owner’s move to fire Maccagnan three weeks after the draft. If it is done then, like I said, the likelihood is all this ugliness will be worth it, a sort of broken road to one of the NFL’s best personnel guys.

From there, Douglas would have a pretty daunting task ahead of him—one where the roster certainly wouldn’t be the first thing he’d have to fix.

Comment

What's up with this, and could this be related to the open GM slot? If so, it may give the Eagles a (slightly?) better chance at retaining Douglas. Of course, that would mean the Jets would have to suddenly not want him so much as the media reports suggest. Also, could Daniel Jeremiah be enticed to join the Eagles FO in the event Douglas bails? How would that go over with you?

I wouldn't be against it (Jeremiah at NovaCare), but I'd prefer continuity and hope that Douglas stays at NovaCare.

Scott Pioli suddenly steps down from Falcons' Assistant GM spot:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...c17fgrzzj4jama

"When I accepted this position more than five years ago, we all believed this would likely be a two or three-year working relationship. I came in to work closely with Thomas on personnel structure, processes and decisions. I loved the concept, was confident I could provide value and have enjoyed the challenge.

"Now, after more than five years with the Falcons, I am ready for a change. I want to thank all of my co-workers at Flowery Branch as it has truly been an honor to be a part of this organization and I am thankful to have been a part of this football team and the Falcons family."

One report linked Pioli to the Jets' vacant general manager position, but The Athletic reported there is no merit to that rumor.

Comment

This might influence some thinking

Report: Eagles hire a top scout away from the Dolphins
            SHARES
            TWEET
            EMAIL
            By: Glenn Erby | 22 hours ago

With rumors circulating that Joe Douglas could be on his way to New York, the Philadelphia Eagles took steps to tighten up their player personnel department as the team has hired Max Gruder away from the Miami Dolphins, according to a report from Neil Stratto of InsideTheLeague.com.

Neil Stratton
            @InsideTheLeague
            Multiple sources tell us #Dolphins pro scout Max Gruder is headed to the #Eagles, where he'll serve in an undisclosed pro scouting role.
            @Mgruder55 had been w/@MiamiDolphins since '13. Also played briefly for #Falcons & in college for @Pitt_FB.

Gruder has worked for the Miami Dolphins for six years as both a scouting assistant and a pro scout after a brief career in the NFL. The addition of Gruder could be centered around Joe Douglas taking Andy Weidl and Director of College Scouting Ian Cunningham with him to New York if he chooses to accept the job per Eliot Shorr-Parks of 94WIP.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
              What's up with this, and could this be related to the open GM slot? If so, it may give the Eagles a (slightly?) better chance at retaining Douglas. Of course, that would mean the Jets would have to suddenly not want him so much as the media reports suggest. Also, could Daniel Jeremiah be enticed to join the Eagles FO in the event Douglas bails? How would that go over with you?

I wouldn't be against it (Jeremiah at NovaCare), but I'd prefer continuity and hope that Douglas stays at NovaCare.

Scott Pioli suddenly steps down from Falcons' Assistant GM spot:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...c17fgrzzj4jama
              Stepping down from an assistant GM spot? Who the heck does that if they don't have another job to go too??? It sounds more likely that it was the other way around and Atlanta was tired of him doesn't it?

Comment

Only speculation, but another name in the hat increases the chances of Douglas staying in Philly.

Peyton Manning rumor

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...eyton-manning/

Comment

Only speculation, but another name in the hat increases the chances of Douglas staying in Philly.

Peyton Manning rumor

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...eyton-manning/
                  I really doubt that he would be interested in it TP. He turned down a TV job just last year FOR Thursday Night Football and how much time does that take up? With that in mind I can't imagine him wanting to put in the time at a managing position. The Mannings are loaded with their cooperation between the 3 of them (don't forget Dad). I think that they own half of Mississippi LOL!). He probably spends time in some capacity with that business in at least PR and if he doesn't I'll bet he just enjoys the downtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    I really doubt that he would be interested in it TP. He turned down a TV job just last year FOR Thursday Night Football and how much time does that take up? With that in mind I can't imagine him wanting to put in the time at a managing position. The Mannings are loaded with their cooperation between the 3 of them (don't forget Dad). I think that they own half of Mississippi LOL!). He probably spends time in some capacity with that business in at least PR and if he doesn't I'll bet he just enjoys the downtime.
                    I tend to agree. But, the idea of running a team might appeal to him in a way that a TV job doesn't. Still, I think the idea of the Jets getting Manning to run that mess is a real long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                      I tend to agree. But, the idea of running a team might appeal to him in a way that a TV job doesn't. Still, I think the idea of the Jets getting Manning to run that mess is a real long shot.
                      I think that he turned down something like that with the Colts didn't he EB? If so there's no way that he does it with the Jets. Heck, he didn't even want to go to Denver if you remember. The next year he had to go back to Indy for a game and he was so upset about it that he played one of the worst games of his life.

Comment

Maybe the Jets' GM is already in place? Name rhymes with Madam Ace?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...cid=spartandhp

To steal a phrase from the Around the NFL Podcast, Gase wants a trailer not a truck as his general manager. If he's picking the GM that means the GM essentially will report to him. Gase will have the final say. There are teams where the front office is constructed that way. The Patriots have operated like this since Bill Belichick joined as head coach. The Bills kind of operate like this where Sean McDermott has a lot of power as a head coach. The Raiders definitely have the same power structure.

The problem is that we don’t know if Gase should be in charge of the team like this. It’s hard to be both a general manager and head coach. Gase won’t pick someone who would usurp him in the Jets’ power structure so Gase will have a lot of responsibilities. He probably wants it that way, but there’s no proof someone should give him that type of power. He crushed the Jets’ version of Game of Thrones. He is the king.
                        We’ll see if it works, and we will see if any high-profile candidate is willing to take a backseat to Gase. That’s the situation at Florham Park.
                        Joe Douglas looks like a truck to me...

Comment

Maybe the Jets' GM is already in place? Name rhymes with Madam Ace?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...cid=spartandhp

Joe Douglas looks like a truck to me...
                          I wish that I kept the article that discussed what a bad hire he was that I read yesterday that was basically " what the hell has Gase done?" and now they want to make him GM too? The guy is lucky to land a HC job anywhere. I always liked the Jets. In fact I like all of the teams in that crumby division except the Patriots are in except them and the whole mess looks like it will continue. Joe isn't going to be around forever and it was pointed out that there are only 32 of these jobs out there and they don't open very often so who knows?

Comment

It's kind of a strange situation to me. But, then again, the Jets seem to be, by nature, dysfunctional, so it should come as no surprise. One would think that if they were going to replace the GM and hire a new coach, they would bring in the GM first, and then allow him to hire the coach. But, it appears they hired Gase, and decided to hand him the keys to the FO, and then fire the GM. If I'm Douglas, I'm staying the hell away from that dumpster fire in the making, and wait for a more appealing opportunity in the future. I don't think Douglas' stock will drop if he waits for a better opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                              It's kind of a strange situation to me. But, then again, the Jets seem to be, by nature, dysfunctional, so it should come as no surprise. One would think that if they were going to replace the GM and hire a new coach, they would bring in the GM first, and then allow him to hire the coach. But, it appears they hired Gase, and decided to hand him the keys to the FO, and then fire the GM. If I'm Douglas, I'm staying the hell away from that dumpster fire in the making, and wait for a more appealing opportunity in the future. I don't think Douglas' stock will drop if he waits for a better opportunity.
                              I don't think that ol' Woody makes the best decisions owning that franchise.

Comment

Gase is the current GM. How friekin weird is that?

Howard Eskin

@howardeskin
                                Adding to a report @RapSheet the #Jets have asked for permission to talk with #Eagles VP of player personel for their GM opening. I’m told unless Jets give Douglas final say on players the Eagles would not let him go and Joe Douglas would not take the job. @SportsRadioWIP

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...-adam-gase-nyj

Comment

Working...
                                X