DLine Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLine Rotation

I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but I found it intriguing that Jim Johnson went with a 2nd wave/team rotation for the DLine rather than just subbing 1 or 2 players.

What are some thoughts about the long term effectiveness of this approach, will fresh legs have that much impact if there is a significant drop of in ability when Juqua Thomas and Trent Cole are in for Kearse and Howard?

I will say that it looked good today, but hey it was the Texans.

What are some thoughts about the long term effectiveness of this approach, will fresh legs have that much impact if there is a significant drop of in ability when Juqua Thomas and Trent Cole are in for Kearse and Howard?
    But was there less impact yesterday?

Cole had two sacks, Juqua had the first one for the Eagles. Sure, the starting unit played well, but the second unit got the results.

I know it was the Texans, but we must admit that they probably had an objective to NOT allow sacks today...
    "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

Comment

It worked well. The inquirer reported that JJ stuck with alternating series with the 8 guys. I think when the season wears on and they need a big stop - they'll start mixing and matching.

One glaring item to me was the difference inside when Bunkley was there vs. Darwin Walker. I don't point out Patterson vs. Ramsey because they both played solid games. Patterson got a lot of push and aside from one play where he just ran the opposite way of the run with no fakes from the backfield (??!) - Mike P. was a presence. Ramsey was very solid as well.

But Walker vs. Bunkley was no comparison. It could have been a 1st game back thing for Walker but while the center for the Texans was pushing Walker back, Bunkley was tossing this guy into the backfield. It was night and day especially early in the game. Walker got his legs back in the last 1st and 2nd halfs but Bunkley was the better of the two yesterday and it's clear when you isolate on them.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofthegame76

But was there less impact yesterday?

Cole had two sacks, Juqua had the first one for the Eagles. Sure, the starting unit played well, but the second unit got the results.

I know it was the Texans, but we must admit that they probably had an objective to NOT allow sacks today...
        I hear you!

My comments was not meant to imply that it was not effective on Sunday, rather considering that it was so effective against the Texans (that is not known for OL strength), should we be viewing this whole sale rotation with some reservations for the moment?

Comment

Ah sorry, didn't understand.

Well, there's no reason to think otherwise. Trent Cole and Juqua Thomas are pretty good rushers. Ramsey and Blunkney (or Walker, or Rayburn) are good DTs. Maybe JJ will try and mix and match often for that matter.
          "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

Comment

I think it is a great idea. It gets each player accustomed to playing with the same mates, and it probably generates some competition between the lines to outdo their counterparts. Don't know if it is a good idea to continue throughout the season, but I think it is a good idea to begin the season this way.
            "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

I like the quote that I heard yesterday from one of the Texan's O-lineman. He said that they were prepared for the Eagles defensive schemes, but that they had no idea that the Eagle's DE's were as fast as they were.

Comment

I got a couple of zings for pointing out that Juqua Thomas was ahead of McDougle on the depth chart with the whole "he isn't all world simply because of a decent pre-season" but I'd say they coaches made the right decision in deactivating McDougle and letting Thomas play yesterday. Another sack for Juqua!

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
                  I got a couple of zings for pointing out that Juqua Thomas was ahead of McDougle on the depth chart with the whole "he isn't all world simply because of a decent pre-season" but I'd say they coaches made the right decision in deactivating McDougle and letting Thomas play yesterday. Another sack for Juqua!
                  Absolutely they made the right decision. I think that McDougle is going to have a hard time getting on the field this year without an injury. The DE's on this team are just that good.
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

one from me!

i'm still not convinced thomas is a guy who gets sacks other than by benefitting from a good scheme -- yesterday's appeared to be that kind of sack. i think mcdougle is a guy with a better chance to beat his man one-on-one. i'm sure jerome will get his chance this year at some point.
                    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose

one from me!

i'm still not convinced thomas is a guy who gets sacks other than by benefitting from a good scheme -- yesterday's appeared to be that kind of sack. i think mcdougle is a guy with a better chance to beat his man one-on-one. i'm sure jerome will get his chance this year at some point.
                      LT,

No offense, but what is this confidence in McDougal based on?

I am by no means saying that he is a bust or should not be on the team, but I agreed with SteveMc that Juqua Thomas (based on his preseason performance) should be ahead of McDougal on the depth chart.

In addition, the comments that Juqua is only benefiting from the Eagles scheme, isn't this the same scheme that McDougal played in or would play in? So in essence, the coaches are saying that the better performer is Thomas.

I say lets all just be glad that the DLine has this wealth of depth, that our biggest point of contention is whether the 5th DE is better than the 4th DE.

Comment

i agree they have great depth. i think thomas is a decent enough player, but he's essentially a journeyman who has bounced around the league.

i haven't seen much evidence in the year-plus he's been here that he has the physical skills to take on the man in front of him and beat him consistently. he had a nice preseason and picked up a nice sack yesterday and he's done a solid job.

when i say he benefitted from the scheme, i mean that the sack comes as a result of a stunt or a blitz in which he comes free because his blocker has to slide inside or outside to pick up the blitzer, leaving juqua with a mismatch on an RB or TE, or an open path to the QB. that's what I believe happened in his sack yesterday, and that's what happened on a couple of his sacks in the preseason.

i think mcdougle's got more sheer physical talent and a broader array of pass-rush moves. he just can't stay healthy and on the field.

at some point it becomes more important that you can stay healthy and contribute, and the coaches may have reached that point with McDougle.
                        Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

But LT - given the scheme and weighing McDougle's vs. Thomas' talents, don't you give the likelihood of getting sacks to Thomas?

When given these mismatched opportunities you mention - who is the better fit for the scheme then?

Comment

Rayburn should play over Ramsey at this juncture.
                            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                            Playoff Appearances:
                            NFC Title Games:
                            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

But LT - given the scheme and weighing McDougle's vs. Thomas' talents, don't you give the likelihood of getting sacks to Thomas?

When given these mismatched opportunities you mention - who is the better fit for the scheme then?
                              any NFL player ought to be able to take advantage of a mismatch. the real truth about the ability of a defensive lineman is in the one-on-one matchups. If you're an average player, you don't command a double-team.

Juqua Thomas doesnt need a double-team. Jerome McDougle might warrant extra attention if he could ever get his career untracked.

Comment

Working...
                              X