Birds Hiring Matt Burke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birds Hiring Matt Burke

In an advisory role . Was DC in Miami and worked for Schwartz in Detroit.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Report: Eagles hire Matt Burke as top aide to Jim Schwartz
    ByJeff Kerr 107 minutes ago

The Philadelphia Eagles are giving Jim Schwartz some help at defensive coordinator, hiring former Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Matt Burke as an aide to Schwartz for 2019 (first reported by ESPN's Mike Reiss).

Burke worked with Schwartz in the past, from 2009 to 2013 as the linebackers coach on the Detroit Lions when Schwartz was the head coach and as an administrative assistant and defensive quality control coach on the Tennessee Titans from 2004 to 2008 (when Schwartz was the Titans defensive coordinator).
    Burke served the past two seasons as the Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator before he wasn't retained by the franchise after Adam Gase was fired. The Dolphins finished 27th in team defense last season, allowing 27.1 points per game. Miami allowed 391.1 yards per game in 2018, which was 29th in the NFL.

The Dolphins allowed 6.1 yards per play, good for 30th in the NFL. Miami allowed 42.86 percent of third down conversions, which was 28th in the NFL (60.66 percent red zone conversion percentage, 18th in NFL).
    Miami allowed 145.3 rush yards per game under Burke (31st in the NFL) and 245.8 pass yards per game (21st in the NFL).
    What a ride for the Philadelphia Eagles. A lot of changes are coming this offseason. Make sure to keep following along through this huge free agent period— take five seconds to sign up for our FREE Eagles newsletter now!
    The 42-year old Burke served two years as Miami's defensive coordinator before his ouster. He made his mark as a linebackers coach with the Lions and Cincinnati Bengals before the Dolphins hired him to the same position in 2016.

Burke helped Kiko Alonso finish ninth in the AFC with 115 tackles (69 solo). Alonso made several critical plays, including a game-winning 60-yard interception return at San Diego with 1:01 remaining in Week 10 of the season. It was the latest game-winning interception return by the Dolphins since at least 1991. Alonso also became the first Dolphins linebacker since at least 1993 to intercept a pass and recover a fumble in the same game in Week 12 vs. the San Francisco 49ers.
    In 2015, the Bengals had the second-best scoring defense (17.4 points per game) in the NFL. The defense forced 28 turnovers, tied for sixth in the league. Vincent Rey posted the two most productive seasons of his career under Burke, recording 95 tackles (62 solo), one sack, one interception and five passes defensed in 2015. In 2013, he helped lead a Lions defense that ranked No. 6 in the NFL against the run. Linebacker DeAndre Levy was tied for second in the NFL in interceptions (6), becoming only the third linebacker in Lions history with six-plus interceptions and the first since 1958.
    Burke will likely work with the linebackers in Philadelphia, especially since Jordan Hicks and Nigel Bradham combined for zero interceptions and zero forced fumbles in 2018. The Eagles had just two turnovers from linebackers in 2018, one interception each from Nate Gerry and Kamu Grugier-Hill.
    The addition of Burke will provide an extra voice for Schwartz on the defense, one he can trust. Burke has developed a reputation around the league as an excellent communicator with younger players, which will be beneficial for an Eagles defense expected to have serious turnover in 2019.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Meh!

Comment

I see them drafting a stud LB since they got to watch the guys in Dallas twice this year

Comment

I don't see anything to get too stirred about. Seems more like he is a guy that Schwartz has taken care of over the years. If he gets more productivity from the LBs great but I would then ask what the LB coach has been doing. Even though I'm not jumping up and down thinking he is the answer I'm not against it, just want to wait to see what he brings
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

What do you guys think the Birds will do with Hicks? I think they should try to bring him back. It doesn't seem like he's going to have much leverage with whoever he signs with.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

If he is only here to help Schwartz with a few critical calls a game then he’s worth every penny

Comment

Personally I won't be surprised to see some dumbass team offer Hicks more than he is worth but there are a lot of FA linebackers. I have no problems with him coming back if he doesn't get offers and plays at a 'prove it' salary and wants to compete for his job. But the birds need a backup plan that isn't what they had last year. Maybe they look at the position as a place to save money but having a third starter quality LB wouldn't be a bad thing in my mind.
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                  Personally I won't be surprised to see some dumbass team offer Hicks more than he is worth but there are a lot of FA linebackers. I have no problems with him coming back if he doesn't get offers and plays at a 'prove it' salary and wants to compete for his job. But the birds need a backup plan that isn't what they had last year. Maybe they look at the position as a place to save money but having a third starter quality LB wouldn't be a bad thing in my mind.

I hope the heck that they aren't thinking of LB as a cheap position ND. I thought that we had finally gotten over that crap. There are no cheap positions in the NFL, especially one in the middle of the field with the passing game being so emphasized these days. The Weasel cost us a couple of SBs with that kind of thinking. I like Bradham there to tell you the truth because he's much better against the running game than Hicks is and isn't that bad of a pass defender either. Hicks drops faster though so maybe I just contradicted myself. Bradham is very underrated and Hill came around pretty good outside. If we can get Hicks on the cheap we should be good there. I'm a BPA guy period with the exception of getting a stud rb. Sometimes it's not guaranteed though. Remember when the idiot Cataldi wanted us to take Herschel Walker over McNabb and the Colts took Edgerrin James instead and they ended up being right? Williams fizzled for the most part and James was a perennial Pro Bowler while Cataldi remains a huge asshole to this day. Unfortunately, like any other position it's pretty hard to see how their college game translates into the pros but with high picks you have a good chance and those rbs seem to catch on faster at that position and can help right away. With the colleges running spread offenses they have to be able to block to play.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                    Meh!

Did you mean meh like...

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      [/B]

I hope the heck that they aren't thinking of LB as a cheap position ND. I thought that we had finally gotten over that crap. There are no cheap positions in the NFL, especially one in the middle of the field with the passing game being so emphasized these days. The Weasel cost us a couple of SBs with that kind of thinking. I like Bradham there to tell you the truth because he's much better against the running game than Hicks is and isn't that bad of a pass defender either. Hicks drops faster though so maybe I just contradicted myself. Bradham is very underrated and Hill came around pretty good outside. If we can get Hicks on the cheap we should be good there.
                      I agree, this position had been neglected or filled on the cheap when were talking about a position that is the second level in run defense, can be asked to cover TEs, and at times blitz/run blitz- not to mention contribute on STs. I hope they have multiple targets in the draft and free agency if they decide to move on from Hicks.

Comment

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/n...or-2019-season

Well this isn't the answer IMO but it is a start to give more competition in camp. Worrilow is coming off training camp injury from last year when the Eagles signed him to help the LB corps.
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

I like this hire. You usually improve your team when you get a former DC focusing on a smaller role. Just the same as many former HC flourish in a return as a coordinator. This can only help.

Hopefully he gets some mileage out of the LB corps. I thought they may bring Worrilow back and I'm happy to see it. They thought he'd provide depth pre-injury. No reason to think he can't now.

Comment

Working...
                          X