Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brandon Graham wants a new contract, but you've gotta love this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon Graham wants a new contract, but you've gotta love this...

from PFT:

Brandon Graham wants a new deal. He has made that clear.

But the Eagles defensive end knows if he plays well, the contract will take care of itself.

“I mean you know you always want to be secure, but I’m OK with whatever, because at the end of the day, next week we get that ring,” Graham said, via video from Dave Uram of WFAN 660 and 1010 WINS. “If we didn’t have the team we have, then I would say let’s get secure. But we’ve got a great team to do it again, and I’m hoping to be a part of it, because we’ve got an open window right now to go back to back.

“. . . We’ll get it done. However it goes. I know I’m 30 years old, and I understand it’s a business, too. I’ve got to keep showing them that I’m just going to keep taking it up and go out on my terms.”

Graham is entering the final year of a four-year, $26 million contract he signed in 2015. He will make a base salary of $7 million this season, having outplayed the deal.

He made a career-high 9.5 sacks last season and made a career-defining play in the Super Bowl despite a high-ankle sprain December 25 and a pulled hamstring in the Super Bowl before his strip-sack of Tom Brady.

But Graham turned 30 in April.

“Once you hit 30, it gets funny,” Graham said. “That’s what I’ve seen.

“. . . It’s all about what you want to do, if something makes sense. I know this next deal is going to be potentially my last deal. Hopefully, I get more after that, but you just never know, so I want to make sure that I get it done right so it works for both ways. For me, playing out this year and hopefully getting something done. I think it’ll happen as long as I come back from this ankle injury and look better than I did before, which I’m feeling good about, because everything is going according to plan right now. You will know how they feel as we’re talking.”
    ------------------------------------------
    We already know, but this is just another indicator of how special this team is. I think there's a very good chance that they're going to be better than the team that won it all last year.

Graham is entering the final year of a four-year, $26 million contract he signed in 2015. He will make a base salary of $7 million this season, having outplayed the deal.

To be honest I hope he gets a new deal. I also hope he plays the way he has been. But that doesn't always happen with guys who get new deals. I like the thought to play it out and then work out a contract.
    The part I hate is anyone saying they outplayed their contract. They are paid to be the VERY BEST player they can be. They aren't paid to have five sacks or six or seven. They are paid to get the most they can. Same with receivers. They aren't paid for 50 catches or 60 or 70. They are paid for the most they can get; to not drop the ones sent their way. Just a personal irritant that guys outplay their contract and want more but I never hear them say they underperformed their contract and want less.

Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post

To be honest I hope he gets a new deal. I also hope he plays the way he has been. But that doesn't always happen with guys who get new deals. I like the thought to play it out and then work out a contract.
      The part I hate is anyone saying they outplayed their contract. They are paid to be the VERY BEST player they can be. They aren't paid to have five sacks or six or seven. They are paid to get the most they can. Same with receivers. They aren't paid for 50 catches or 60 or 70. They are paid for the most they can get; to not drop the ones sent their way. Just a personal irritant that guys outplay their contract and want more but I never hear them say they underperformed their contract and want less.

It's one of the very few advantages a great player has. On the other hand it is far more common that get cuts his final year so they don't have to pay him (Vinny, Kendricks, Celek etc. You re right about the outperformance factor. Then of course you have assholes like DJ taking a whole season off before his contract is up.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
      X