Changes I would make after the bye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes I would make after the bye

I think we need to shake things up a little bit and if nothing else learn what we have on the roster. As a result here are the changes I would make if I were the coach(at least for the Redskins game and then I might revise the changes):

1. Offensive Line. Put Thomas and Runyan on the healthy inactives and start Justice and Jean-Gilles. These guys haven't dressed yet and should be a fresh alternative to two guys that have underperformed as of late. I would start Justice at Tackle and Jean-Gilles at guard for either Herremans or Andrews whoever moves to right tackle. Thomas basically whiffs on speed rushers although there was one time against Jacksonville where he slugged the guy in the head and that slowed him down (he was not called for a penalty amazingly enough). Runyan has had a good season until Jacksonville. Sit them both and they might be mad enough to come back stronger afterwards

2. Defensive line. Sit Darwin Walker and Darren Howard. Walker has been poor the last few weeks and Howard is playing hurt and it shows. I want to see Bunkley start at DT and see what he has and I want Ramsey to get some snaps. Start McDougle for a game and see if there is anything there. I don't think so, but I don't want to let him go without finding out for sure. If he isn't producing, give Juqua Thomas more snaps as he has looked OK the times he has been in there.

3. Linebackers. I am intrigued by the thought of moving Dawkins and Lewis to LB along with Trotter. You can have Considine and Mikell playing safety, or use 3 CB's I don't think Jones or McCoy have what it takes to play LB and Barber is a good spot player, but not a starter.

4. Coaching/RB's. Dress Moats and use him more as well as Bucky. We have got to run the ball close to 50% of the time. You can't do that to Westbrook, but you can use a rotation and use two RB formations with Bucky and Moats running the ball and Westbrook going out for passes.

While this may be radical, I am almost to the point of writing this season off. We have to win the next two "easy" games, and then win 4 of 6 tough games, just to get a wild card spot. We have very little margin for error and a performance like we just saw against Jacksonville and we lose to both Washington and Tennesee, not to mention all 6 of the games after that. This team needs a shake-up to get back to playing like it did at the start of the season and these changes are the only options I can think of to do that.

Interesting ideas. I'm not qualified to assess the Eagles roster and players' in-game performance, but I generally agree that the Birds need something fresh to act as a catalyst to winning 6 or 7 of their remaining games...

Comment

I find the Dawkins-and-Lewis-to-OLB idea intriguing as well, Eagles 2000. I had given some consideration to the Eagles moving Lewis to the weakside LB spot, but never Dawkins. That would, in effect, make the defense a 4-2-5, yes? Considering Lewis's forte is run stopping/hitting?

In your scenario if it were left up to me, I might sit Thomas, but not Runyan yet.

Howard needs to heal, and Walker is in a funk apparently.

Comment

One writer for the (PDN? Inquirer? whatever) suggested that we bench McNabb for the 1st quarter of the next game and give Garcia a chance instead. That's past desperate, all the way to insane IMO.
        "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
        — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
        - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Re: Changes I would make after the bye

Originally posted by eagles2000
          I think we need to shake things up a little bit and if nothing else learn what we have on the roster. As a result here are the changes I would make if I were the coach(at least for the Redskins game and then I might revise the changes):

1. Offensive Line. Put Thomas and Runyan on the healthy inactives and start Justice and Jean-Gilles. These guys haven't dressed yet and should be a fresh alternative to two guys that have underperformed as of late. I would start Justice at Tackle and Jean-Gilles at guard for either Herremans or Andrews whoever moves to right tackle. Thomas basically whiffs on speed rushers although there was one time against Jacksonville where he slugged the guy in the head and that slowed him down (he was not called for a penalty amazingly enough). Runyan has had a good season until Jacksonville. Sit them both and they might be mad enough to come back stronger afterwards
          Great let let our franchise QB get "protected" by two guys that have never played an NFL snap and one of which isn't even a tackle. I wouldn't mind seeing Justice come in for Thomas for a game or two but no way I sit Runyan after ONE bad game, I mean in the 7-8 years he's been here I can probably count the number of bad games he had on one hand.

2. Defensive line. Sit Darwin Walker and Darren Howard. Walker has been poor the last few weeks and Howard is playing hurt and it shows. I want to see Bunkley start at DT and see what he has and I want Ramsey to get some snaps. Start McDougle for a game and see if there is anything there. I don't think so, but I don't want to let him go without finding out for sure. If he isn't producing, give Juqua Thomas more snaps as he has looked OK the times he has been in there.
          I guess I agree here, not much you can do, Howard if hurt should definitely rest.

3. Linebackers. I am intrigued by the thought of moving Dawkins and Lewis to LB along with Trotter. You can have Considine and Mikell playing safety, or use 3 CB's I don't think Jones or McCoy have what it takes to play LB and Barber is a good spot player, but not a starter.
          Lewis, maybe. Dawk, no.

4. Coaching/RB's. Dress Moats and use him more as well as Bucky. We have got to run the ball close to 50% of the time. You can't do that to Westbrook, but you can use a rotation and use two RB formations with Bucky and Moats running the ball and Westbrook going out for passes.
          YES YES YES I LOVE IT. It still ain't happening though.
          Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Amazing the thoughts you come up wit when you drink a quart of whiskey a day. LOL!

I appreciate the thought E2000, but you go too far. Dawkins is not built to be an averydown backer. Lewis....possible, but iI think if you insert the two of them in that role, with Considine playing safety, you make us MORE prone to getting run over. I AM in favor of increasing Barber's load, however.

Runyan does not deserve to sit, and only a numbskul would yank him right now, epecially after getting rested from the bye. Now...WillieTra....I've grown tired of his 2-3 screw ups per game. Agreed there.

As for teh RBs...Bucky aint IT. I'm sorry, I really wanted to be, but he's not. Moats MIGHT do alright, but I get the impression that he's a slow-blinker with poor hands. We don't have a great solution for our running woes on the roster, but I think Westy is the best of the bunch, even if you are just talking about running RUNNING plays.
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
              no way I sit Runyan after ONE bad game, I mean in the 7-8 years he's been here I can probably count the number of bad games he had on one hand.
              You should have added that considering he faces Strahan twice a year, in a pass-first offense, that's pretty damn impressive.
              Prevent the prevent!

Comment

There's no reason to sit Runyan. We just need to run the ball to the right side much more often. That will activate Runyan and get the juices flowing. Big jon's getting bored and needs to beat on someone. As far as "William", I don't know. He's not having that bad of a year.

No way Howard should sit. Walker has been good at times but also missing in action. It would be better to get Ramsey and Bunkley more plays but I don't see either as a starter.

I'd like to replace Jones as well. Get him off the field.
                McCoy is playing OK but he's also getting run over & pushed around. I'd like to see wholesale replacements here but that's going to have to wait until the offseason. What about Gaither & Roper? Why not give Omar some time to show what he can do.

Yes, if anything the Eagles need to establish and maintain a running game in the 2nd half of the season. This is an important coaching change. As far as RBs, yes both Moats and Bucky need more carries. Tapeh also needs to get some touches.

While this may be radical, I am almost to the point of writing this season off. We have to win the next two "easy" games, and then win 4 of 6 tough games, just to get a wild card spot. We have very little margin for error and a performance like we just saw against Jacksonville and we lose to both Washington and Tennesee, not to mention all 6 of the games after that. This team needs a shake-up to get back to playing like it did at the start of the season and these changes are the only options I can think of to do that.
                Yes, the Eagles need a shakeup and something's going to have to change.
                RUN the table!

Comment

Moats is so friekin stupid that they deactivated him again last week. He might be done. I'll bet Dawk is a free safety next year, maybe sooner.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60
                    Moats is so friekin stupid that they deactivated him again last week. He might be done. I'll bet Dawk is a free safety next year, maybe sooner.
                    Sooner as in the day he was drafted?
                    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

What about Gaither & Roper? Why not give Omar some time to show what he can do.

Soaring Eagle, I agree about Gaither. People are running all over us and that does not speak well to the MLB play. Trotter is not making it. Let's see Omar, it is getting very tiring watching teams getting 5-8 yds on first downs while we try to stop them with a bunch of arm tackles.

Comment

I agree that we need to make some moves, but I don't think we should sit our OTs and I wouldn't turn our safties into linebackers. As BigPhilly mentioned earlier, we need to get Gaither and Barber in as LBs.

Walker has definitely tailed off. He was getting blasted off the line in the New Orleans game. It was embarassing. Everybody is down on Bunkley, but I don't think he has played enough. Get him out there.

Howard must be nicked. He hasn't been the same the past two games.
                        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

First off, I think our D-linemen were all wearing down, and needed that bye week in a big way. They've played a lot of snaps, and I think a couple weeks of rest will help them a lot. That being said, I would try to figure a way to get as many guys active in the rotation as possible, but I wouldn't make any drastic changes.

I don't think there's much you can do at LBer. Maybe you try and rotate Trotter in and out a bit more to keep him fresh, but I think we're stuck with Bow tie and McCoy. Hopefully, the rest will help them a bit as well.

Now, in the secondary, one thing that I might consider is moving Doo Doo to FS, move Dawk to SS, and use Hood and Lito as the corners in the base package if you're going to play cover 2. In the nickel, Considine moves to SS, and Doo Doo plays corner. They can mix and match personnel according to need, but if they are going to play a base cover 2, I like the idea of having Doo Doo and Dawk at safety, because both cover well, and can come up in run support if need be.

On offense, I would not mess with the O-line. I'd try to run the ball a bit more, but I think that's going to be difficult because we don't have any TEs or FBs that can block. This team is so geared to the pass personnel wise, I think it's going to be real hard to get a ground game wound up at this stage.

They definitely need to get the coverage units playing better. That may be a personnel issue as well, and I think we're getting to the point where we can't afford any more losses, so they may be a bit more willing to use guys on specials. I'm not sure what the solution is, but we can't keep handing the other team the ball around midfield, and expect to keep them from scoring points.

I don't know what Dirk's deal is, but he is not playing well. I think J-bird may have been right in his desire to take a look at Sauerbraun when he became available, but we're stuck with Dirk now. I just hope he can get it together, because field position is important.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                            First off, I think our D-linemen were all wearing down, and needed that bye week in a big way. They've played a lot of snaps, and I think a couple weeks of rest will help them a lot. That being said, I would try to figure a way to get as many guys active in the rotation as possible, but I wouldn't make any drastic changes.

I don't think there's much you can do at LBer. Maybe you try and rotate Trotter in and out a bit more to keep him fresh, but I think we're stuck with Bow tie and McCoy. Hopefully, the rest will help them a bit as well.

Now, in the secondary, one thing that I might consider is moving Doo Doo to FS, move Dawk to SS, and use Hood and Lito as the corners in the base package if you're going to play cover 2. In the nickel, Considine moves to SS, and Doo Doo plays corner. They can mix and match personnel according to need, but if they are going to play a base cover 2, I like the idea of having Doo Doo and Dawk at safety, because both cover well, and can come up in run support if need be.

On offense, I would not mess with the O-line. I'd try to run the ball a bit more, but I think that's going to be difficult because we don't have any TEs or FBs that can block. This team is so geared to the pass personnel wise, I think it's going to be real hard to get a ground game wound up at this stage.

They definitely need to get the coverage units playing better. That may be a personnel issue as well, and I think we're getting to the point where we can't afford any more losses, so they may be a bit more willing to use guys on specials. I'm not sure what the solution is, but we can't keep handing the other team the ball around midfield, and expect to keep them from scoring points.

I don't know what Dirk's deal is, but he is not playing well. I think J-bird may have been right in his desire to take a look at Sauerbraun when he became available, but we're stuck with Dirk now. I just hope he can get it together, because field position is important.
                            I agree with you about the D line. I also don't know how a 9 man rotation gets worn down!!
                            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Well, our defense has also played what equates to 2 more games than our offense. From what I read, they have ben on thefield for 55 minutes more thatn the O this season so far. IOW, 2 more full games played.
                              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                              X