No announcement yet.

Changes I would make after the bye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading everyone's thoughtful responses let me clarify my reasoning. Runyan was poor againsts Jacksonville, but has played well in earlier games. I want to sit him more to find out what we have in the rookies. New England has a 5th round draft pick starting at guard and playing well. We have a 2nd and 4th rounder on our roster who haven't dressed yet this year. Personally I think these kids are pretty good and lets put them in against a lesser team like Washington or Tennesse than saving them for the tougher games we play after that.

The bigger point is not who is playing well or who hasn't, but to shake this team up. If vets like Thomas and Runyan sit after playing poorly, everyone realizes they have to step up or find themselves on the benchy. Plus I don't want to sit the other youngsters (Andrews, Jackson and Herremans). Note to Leif, I did say to put Jean-Gilles in at guard and move Andrews or Herreman to tackle. And after the way McNabb got abused in the Jacksonville game, this group won't be much worse.

Howard is reported to have a slight groin injury. ( this was in the Inquirer or Daily News earlier this week). I want to sit him to let him heal, not because he is playiing poorly. In fact, before the injury, he was a monster.

I am pretty sour on all of our linebackers. If you want to give anyone a shot, it should be Jason Short who scares the heck out of other players. The 4-2-5 comment sounds pretty good. Considine, while he was put in for pass purposes is one heck of a tackler and made a lot of stops in the Jacksonville game. The problem is at safety, he is already 6-7 yeards down the field when the runner gets to him.

The defense has got to be tired with all they have played, but half the problem is the offense not sustaining drives and the other half is that the defense can't prevent the other team form converting first downs. Clearly they have played better in the first half of the last three games than the second, but more must be done.

There is still a chance to salvage the season, but it is slim at this point and we can't afford to come out flat anymore.

Comment

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/ ... 34691.html

Comment

Re: Changes I would make after the bye

Originally posted by eagles2000
        I think we need to shake things up a little bit and if nothing else learn what we have on the roster. As a result here are the changes I would make if I were the coach(at least for the Redskins game and then I might revise the changes):

1. Offensive Line. Put Thomas and Runyan on the healthy inactives and start Justice and Jean-Gilles. These guys haven't dressed yet and should be a fresh alternative to two guys that have underperformed as of late. I would start Justice at Tackle and Jean-Gilles at guard for either Herremans or Andrews whoever moves to right tackle. Thomas basically whiffs on speed rushers although there was one time against Jacksonville where he slugged the guy in the head and that slowed him down (he was not called for a penalty amazingly enough). Runyan has had a good season until Jacksonville. Sit them both and they might be mad enough to come back stronger afterwards

Sorry 2k but I respectfully disagree-not coming off a bye week and with every game being critical - unless injury comes up, or the coaches think that either of those guys is better than the starters (if they did they would have had them in there already) - you go with your best chance. especially with both guys getting rested with the bye.

2. Defensive line. Sit Darwin Walker and Darren Howard. Walker has been poor the last few weeks and Howard is playing hurt and it shows. I want to see Bunkley start at DT and see what he has and I want Ramsey to get some snaps. Start McDougle for a game and see if there is anything there. I don't think so, but I don't want to let him go without finding out for sure. If he isn't producing, give Juqua Thomas more snaps as he has looked OK the times he has been in there.

Here I agree and disagree-- IF Howard is not 100%, then I agree sit him. Walker has had time to rest-- I need to know what he is going to do, and this is the week I'm gonna find out.

3. Linebackers. I am intrigued by the thought of moving Dawkins and Lewis to LB along with Trotter. You can have Considine and Mikell playing safety, or use 3 CB's I don't think Jones or McCoy have what it takes to play LB and Barber is a good spot player, but not a starter.

You not going to move players into new positions at this critical junction of the season. While Dawk can play that hybrid spot in the right circumstance-- he isn't a LB. Same for Lewis although , and I suggested this early on, they could try to convert Lewis next year(if he is still on the team)

4. Coaching/RB's. Dress Moats and use him more as well as Bucky. We have got to run the ball close to 50% of the time. You can't do that to Westbrook, but you can use a rotation and use two RB formations with Bucky and Moats running the ball and Westbrook going out for passes.

Here I agree. Moats has talent. Bucky has talent. Give the Defenses something else to think about.

While this may be radical, I am almost to the point of writing this season off. We have to win the next two "easy" games, and then win 4 of 6 tough games, just to get a wild card spot. We have very little margin for error and a performance like we just saw against Jacksonville and we lose to both Washington and Tennesee, not to mention all 6 of the games after that. This team needs a shake-up to get back to playing like it did at the start of the season and these changes are the only options I can think of to do that.

This team needs to play better, both mentally and physically, they know they sucked, they don't need strawman "shake ups" ,IMO, they need to refocus as individuals and as a team.
        Respectfully and IMHO only!

Comment

I think this team needs a shake-up drastically. In the New Orleans and Tampa games they played poorly at times, but exceptionally well at others. That is not the time to make drastic changes. However in the Jacksonville game they played poorly for the entire game. Right now this teams playoff chances are between slim and none. They have no margin for error. THey are not playing good enough to win 6 of the next 8, but I still believe they have the talent to win 6 of the next 8. SO how do we get the players to play better? By doing something to indicate the desperation that they face. One way would be for Reid to start running the ball, but I am afraid that is not going to happen. I think by sitting a number of players for one game, that would energize them to play better the rest of the way and send a message to the rest of the team to do the same.

I guess this is why Reid is the coach and not me!!!

Comment

E2K, again I respectfully disagree that this is the time for "drastic" changes.

If this were week 3 and we were 0 and 2 and had looked as bad as we did in the JAX game, I would agree about the need for a "drastic shake up"... but as your own words indicate,"Right now this teams playoff chances are between slim and none. They have no margin for error. ",, there is no margin of error now.

I'm not gonna suit up 2 guys who haven't played a NFL game yet out there to protect my 100 million dollar QB. Then what happens, you bring back Tra and Jon later on? -- sorry, IMO, the "margin" isn't there, this isn't the time to experiment. Also talk about a move that could just as easily backfire in your face, it might not spark (just the opposite) anyone to see two veterans, who haven't been the ones costing the team games, benched.

Same with the DB's, can't in mid season just ask people to totally switch positions and expect there not to be growing pains--- and again ------as you yourself say -----we have no margin for error.

IMO, you go with the guys that give us the best chance to win NOW.

Doesn't mean I don't think some changes won't hurt.

ST's needs a big kick in the ass, maybe play some more starters there, dunno, but I'd be in Harbaughs grill these two weeks making sure he gets it.

Reid does need to run more.......but hell we have said that all winter and spring and it still is true. He needs to establish the run to open up the play action and take some of the heat off the O-Line. Putting in untested rookie tackles isn't the way to do that IMO. Mcnabb needs to work the whole field not just the deep patterns or the little flips. The defense should never feel comfortable in where he is going to go. And he needs to quit taking sacks!

But the #1 thing this team needs to do after this bye is (it's so simple but true) stop the bone headed mistakes and just play football as they did in the first 3/4's of the Giants game and for almost the entire Cowboys game ----- the only thing beating this team is this team.

Jon Runyon and Tra Thomas did not cost this team wins, and putting them on the bench IMO does not enhance our chances of winning the remaining 8 games.

Comment

It's not a personnel issue IMO, and benching a guy isn't much of a shake up. These guys are pro's, and know where their money comes from and what the consequences are if they don't perform.

The D needs to stop the run:Period. Gerrard wasn't going to throw so why not walk the S up and make him throw?The execution was poor, and the Lb play equally bad, but JJ never did try and completely shut down the Jax running game either.

We need to run the ball effectively when we need to. Right now Reid is trying to run the ball, but it's forced. pass on 1st down if it's incomplete, 2nd down will be a run. No screens? No real inventive plays to keep an aggressive Jax D on their heels. And McNabb has to stop taking sacks, but after 8 years he's still going to take the sack.

The DL also got zero penetration. Want to stop the run? penetration is the 1st step. And the Jax OL were getting to the 2nd layer, and the LB's's didn't get off their blocks.
              Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

MD, I do disagre with the play of Thomas and Runyan. Thomas has looked bad three weeks in a row. Bad penalties, and bad pass protection. I think Justice would be an improvement. The Ealges would have drafted him first if Buckley had been taken. If you don't have confidence in a second round pick, he was a bad pick. Personally I think putting Justice in is an upgrade over Thomas.

Runyan has been a quality player this season and just had a bad game against Jacksonville. However in nhis case you are just moving a guard who played tackle his entire college career and was drafted to play tackle in the pros. (This is true for both Andrews and Herremans). You are putting in a highly regarded rookie who was a draft day steal in my opinion. Belicheck puts in a 6th rounder to protect his top notch QB. We should be able to do the same.

While I respect your opinion highly, I think you are basing it on prior years performance. I no longer regard Thomas as a top notch Tackle. In fact his performance has led to many of the McNabb sacks this year. Having him in there would lead to a greater chance of McNabb getting sacked. Whether it is injuries or age, moving to Justice is an upgrade in talent. The question is of course experience, but I am willing to take that chance. We can't afford another dismal Tra thomas performance where he is just standing there watching as a D end blows by him and McNabb gets sacked.

NC, I think it is both a personell and coaching decision. If Walker can't stop the run, maybe Bunkley or Ramsey can. Our D line was manhandled by Jacksonville. I think they did move more in the box, and called some run blitzes, but it was not effective. If you want to stop the run, why not play Michael Lewis at Will instead of a superlight McCoy who I believe is a bust. This plays to Lewis' stregnth, which is run defense and limits his weakness of pass defense, particularly deep pass defense. Is it tough to learn a new position?. I submit that strong safety and LB are almost the same position. I really want to get the best 11 (and not 12 as the Birds have tried) players on the field. I think Lewis is an upgrade over McCoy. I think Dawkins could play SAM and would be an upgrade over Jones. I think Considine and Mickell have played well at safety so you have better personell on the field.

By the way, they tried screens against Jacksonville and it was stuffed for losses. With that win they should have run 60 percent of the time if not more. Reid had a horrible game plan/play calling. No adjustments were made in the second half.

Unfortunately I have no confidence that the Eagles of September will show up after the bye. I am afraid we are stuck with the Eagles of October and there is no way we go 6-2 with that team. Even if we squeak out wins against Wash and Tenn, we then have 6 tough games. I think we need some changes to get the spark back. If we come out with the same lineup and game plan against Washington that we did against Jacksonville, we will be 4-5 and the season will be over.

Comment

Working...
                X