X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles tops in dropped passes

Birds' receivers tops in dropped passesBy Marc Narducci
    Inquirer Staff Writer

The Eagles' receivers, tight ends and running backs have typified the team's struggles during a frustrating 4-4 first half of the season.

They have certainly made their share of big plays, but have often erred at the most fundamental part of their job - catching the ball.

They have literally dropped the ball when it comes to being consistent, and it's just one element that must improve if the Eagles are to make a playoff run.

The Eagles lead the NFL in yards per catch with 14.3 per game. They are fifth in scoring offense - only Indianapolis, with 17 touchdown receptions, has more than the Eagles, who have 16. Those are statistics that characterize a big-play offense.

So, on the surface, the receivers, tight ends and running backs appear to be having a banner year.

Except that the Eagles lead the NFL in the most dubious of receiving statistics - dropped passes. According to Stats LLC, which tracks these figures, the Eagles have 27 dropped passes.

Reggie Brown, who has 26 receptions for 502 yards and five touchdowns, is tied for the NFL lead with seven.

A dropped pass, according to Stats, is any incomplete pass that was catchable with a normal effort.

In addition to Brown, running back Brian Westbrook has six dropped passes, tight end L.J. Smith has four, and receiver Donté Stallworth, who has missed four games, has three.

"We have to definitely tighten up on the dropped balls," said Westbrook, who has a team-high 38 receptions for 401 yards and three touchdowns. "I have had a few, all the receivers and tight ends have some, and everybody has a hand in dropping balls."

All the players are aware of the problem, and just in case they weren't, the issue was addressed recently by the staff.

"The coaches have mentioned it, and they shouldn't have to," tight end Matt Schobel said. "Believe me, no dropped passes go unnoticed."

The drops don't come from a lack of effort. It's more a lack of focus.

"It's going to be colder in the second half of the season, so the ball is going to be a little harder," Westbrook said. "So we have to be focused on catching the ball all the way, and make sure we catch the ball before we try to get yards after the catch."

Westbrook makes a good point. The players are attempting to make big plays before hauling in their catches.

"I think sometimes you see openness and try to go before you have the ball totally," Westbrook said.

Of course, the dropped balls are just part of the problem.

"It's been penalties, turnovers, dropped balls - all that stuff culminates into losing ball games," Stallworth said.

The Eagles have only a plus-1 turnover differential. They have been penalized for 491 yards, 98 more than their opponents.

So to put everything on the dropped passes would be wrong. Still, a dropped pass is usually a lost opportunity, and the Eagles have lost more than any team in the NFL.

"I have heard that before about the drops," Smith said. "We throw a lot, too, and with that comes the possibility that there will be more drops."

While that may have some merit, the Eagles are still out of proportion since they are only eighth in attempted passes with 279. As a comparison, Indianapolis, which is right ahead of the Eagles with 281 attempts, has just 10 dropped passes.

While some players tried to downplay the drops, Westbrook was succinct when describing the situation.

"We need to focus and catch the ball," he said.

It sounds so simple, but as the first half showed, it wasn't always the easiest of tasks for the Eagles' receivers.

Dropping the Ball

Even though quarterback Donovan McNabb leads the NFL in passing yards with 2,312 in eight games, his receivers lead the league

in dropped passes.

According to Stats LLC, here is the breakdown:

Player Rec. Drops

Reggie Brown 26 7

Brian Westbrook 38 6

L.J. Smith 29 4

Donté Stallworth 15 3

Hank Baskett 9 2

Matt Schobel 8 2

Greg Lewis 13 1

Thomas Tapeh 9 1

Jason Avant 3 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contact staff writer Marc Narducci at 856-779-3225 or [email protected].
    www.disciplerocks.com

Re: Eagles tops in dropped passes

Originally posted by saratoga
    "I have heard that before about the drops," Smith said. "We throw a lot, too, and with that comes the possibility that there will be more drops."

While that may have some merit, the Eagles are still out of proportion since they are only eighth in attempted passes with 279. As a comparison, Indianapolis, which is right ahead of the Eagles with 281 attempts, has just 10 dropped passes.
    LJ, stop rationalizing, drink a nice, tall glass of STFU, and catch the ball.
    www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

That's the MO of this bunch. How many times have you heard this reply after any of their mistakes-"You have to have a short memory in this league". Never is there any accoountability. Andy's nice guy approach isn't working.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

That quote jumped out at me too. STFU and catch the ball dumbass. No more excuses, just win.

I compare that quote to Patrick Ewing's famous "Yeah, we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money"

Comment

Hey, it's great to be #1!!!!!!!

Ummmm, no.

Brown's ratio of drops to receptions is alarming. I know he's only in his second year, but DAYUMMMMMM!!!!!! Can we get Chris Carter to come spend some time with the kid?
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60
            Andy's nice guy approach isn't working.
            Keeping his player issuses behind closed doors does not make him a nice guy, just smart. I am sure he is far from nice after dumb mistakes like dropped passes.

Comment

"I have heard that before about the drops," Smith said. "Where have I heard that before? Hmm. Not sure, but it does sound familiar. Not real sure what that's all about."

www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

doesn't it seem like Schobel has dropped more than 2?

at least Brown is still young and can improve

Comment

yes, it does feel that way
                  www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Some of this is also on McNabb, he throws some pretty balls but he throws many that are not exactly caught in stride

Comment

Wow, why isn't Greg Lewis seeing more time and passes.
                      Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20
                        doesn't it seem like Schobel has dropped more than 2?
                        It seems like more than two b/c one was in the endzone, and he's only been tossed to 8 times.

I'd love for the Eagles to pick up a FA fullback or TE - anyone - just to send a message "Stop sucking!" (Or just cut Schobel.)

And some of the "nondrops" (like against Jax) were catchable balls, that just didn't hit a guy in the chest.
                        Prevent the prevent!

Comment

Originally posted by eaglefan55
                          Some of this is also on McNabb, he throws some pretty balls but he throws many that are not exactly caught in stride
                          From the description in the article, I concluded that the passes that are behind, at the feet and over the head are factored out of this equation.
                          www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

McNabb will also gun the fck out of the ball instead of putting some touch on it at times... Still, I agree, STFU and catch the ball, LJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                              McNabb will also gun the fck out of the ball instead of putting some touch on it at times... Still, I agree, STFU and catch the ball, LJ.
                              Very true.
                              www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X