Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 06-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
musicman
Hall of Famer

musicman is on a distinguished road
Default Peters Extention

Signed through 2019 for 3 yrs, 32.5 mill , 15.5 guaranteed. Hope it doesn't turn into a dick move.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
Signed through 2019 for 3 yrs, 32.5 mill , 15.5 guaranteed. Hope it doesn't turn into a dick move.
Holy crap! I hope he's still around in 3 years to argue about it!
Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
rspurr
2011 Contributor
Pro Bowler

rspurr has disabled reputation

I doubt he lasts all 3 years of the contract. I'm guessing this is also a move to give us some cap space up front.
Canada's #1 Eagles fan.
rspurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
NoDakIggle 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

NoDakIggle has disabled reputation

Not sure what the cap hits and yearly breakdowns are but I think I am okay with that contract. I also read where he could move to G if needed so I think they probably did okay with this.

as I posted in another thread

That's good. Peters is getting long in the tooth BUT he is a top LT in the league so you have to be careful with what you spend on him. Will he still be a top LT after next year or the year after? Who knows. He needs to realize that and the birds need to respect both his abilities and what he has done for them. You can't give him a long term high money deal and you really don't want to let him walk ala Trotter and Dawkins.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDakIggle View Post
Not sure what the cap hits and yearly breakdowns are but I think I am okay with that contract. I also read where he could move to G if needed so I think they probably did okay with this.

as I posted in another thread

That's good. Peters is getting long in the tooth BUT he is a top LT in the league so you have to be careful with what you spend on him. Will he still be a top LT after next year or the year after? Who knows. He needs to realize that and the birds need to respect both his abilities and what he has done for them. You can't give him a long term high money deal and you really don't want to let him walk ala Trotter and Dawkins.
The difference between Peters and Dawk is that the GM showed him that the Eagles really wanted him. Banner and Reid told Dawk to go to Denver. I'm sure that they talked about some things when he signed that contract and that they are on the same page, at least for this year anyway LOL. Pro football is such a cut throat business.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
Pliny
2011 Contributor
Pro Bowler

Pliny has disabled reputation

Love it ! That is exactly what I was hoping for.
Pliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
NoDakIggle 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

NoDakIggle has disabled reputation

And in terms of getting the contract done, Peters singled out owner Jeffrey Lurie as a critical part of the process.
“We’re best friends,” Peters said of Lurie. “We talk all the time, he texts me, we talk before every game. That’s my guy, he brought me here and stayed loyal to me.”

Lurie hasn't brought the trophy home yet but he does a good job as owner IMO. Even hiring Kelly, which was a mess, was a good move at the time. Kelly was a hot commodity and had a plan. Fell apart but I'm not sure you can lay that on Lurie.
I think he learned over the years. Especially moves like Dawk and Trot.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
Pliny
2011 Contributor
Pro Bowler

Pliny has disabled reputation

NoDak,

Totally agree about Lurie. I think we all knew that hiring Chip was going to be a feast or famine situation. Unfortunately, it was the latter. But, you have to give Lurie credit for trying to win a SB by going the innovative route.

I will never utter a bad word about Lurie after having to live through the Norman Braman years. Jeff puts a lot of effort into this team and community. I hope that is generally appreciated.
Pliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

It's hard to fault a guy who is trying as hard as he is. I'm a little concerned that he got so involved with the Wentz deal, but maybe he let the others make the decision. Hiring Doug was a little suspicious too but that seems to be working well. I've certainly done a 180 on him but I think that he's done a 180 too since he bought the team.