Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we keep this FO together?

Super Bowl Talk
    Posted: January 30th, 2018 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 16 Comments

Tom Brady is the most accomplished QB of all time, but for my money, Aaron Rodgers is the most talented QB in the game today. He can do freaky things and carry a team on his back. As talented and dynamic as Rodgers is, he only has a 10-7 postseason record and one trip to the Super Bowl. He did win it (back in 2010), but you would think a man with his talent would have been a few times.

The problem isn’t Rodgers. The problem is the team’s failure to properly build around him.

I mention that because the Eagles did not make that mistake. They had an amazing offseason and put the right pieces around (and behind) Carson Wentz to take this team from 7-9 to NFC champs, and hopefully beyond. I wrote about Howie Roseman’s great offseason for PE.com.

There are several guys to give credit to. Roseman is at the top because he pulled the trigger on the big moves. Also:

• Joe Douglas – Vice President of Player Personnel
    • Andy Weidl – Assistant Director of Player Personnel
    • Dwayne Joseph – Director of Pro Scouting
    • Anthony Patch – Senior Director of College Scouting

This group found players all over the place. From Alshon Jeffery to Patrick Robinson to Corey Clement to Jake Elliott. I love how creative and aggressive they were. Big signings, little signings, trades…you name it. Anything that could help improve the roster. I also love the fact they never stopped. Bryan Braman didn’t get signed by the Eagles until December, but here he is as a core STer in the friggin Super Bowl.

The offseason never stops.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Just read that Joe Douglas will be promoted to GM while Howie remains as Vice President of Operations. Guessing the reason Houston was denied to interview Douglas this year was Howie saw the value in Douglas & wanted to keep him here. IMO. another Great Move by the FO!
    Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Originally posted by j-bird View Post
      Just read that Joe Douglas will be promoted to GM while Howie remains as Vice President of Operations. Guessing the reason Houston was denied to interview Douglas this year was Howie saw the value in Douglas & wanted to keep him here. IMO. another Great Move by the FO!
      This was my single greatest fear going forward with this team!!!!

Aside from the moves on the field which have been home runs across the board, there have been zero rumblings about personality conflicts with Joe and anybody. I imagine after Chips “ bull in a China shop” approach to decision making.

It’s not just the free agent signings, but draft picks Barnett, Douglas, Jones, Hollins, even Gerry contributed this year- when was the last time that happened??

With all the great moves this season, this one was the best.

Comment

This was reported by Jeff Kerr that Douglas "could" be promoted to be GM but at this time no official announcement just yet.
        Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

I hope these reports are true, re: Douglas. I'd like to keep all elements of this incredible run together

Comment

Douglas says he is staying with the Eagles.....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...html?mobi=true
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post

Lovely!

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post

Can you copy that article Juk? The paper locks you out without a subscription.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Here you go 60......

Sports — Eagles
                  Joe Douglas says he's staying with the Eagles
                  Updated: JANUARY 30, 2018 — 11:22 AM EST
                  by Jeff McLane, STAFF WRITER @Jeff_McLane | [email protected]
                  ST. PAUL, Minn. — Joe Douglas said he will be back with the Eagles next season.

MORE EAGLES COVERAGE

The Houston Texans requested permission to interview Douglas for their general-manager opening earlier this month, but the Eagles, as was their right, blocked that from happening. The Texans eventually hired Brian Gaine as GM.

Douglas, the Eagles’ vice president of player personnel, wasn’t mentioned as a candidate for any other GM openings. But after the success of this season, he could be a hot commodity for future jobs.

“It’s something I’ll probably address later,” Douglas said Monday during Super Bowl LII media night. “I think everybody in this position is confident in their abilities. But I couldn’t be happier.”

Douglas has been credited with helping Howie Roseman, the Eagles’ executive vice president of football operations, reshape the roster this offseason. Hired in May 2016, Douglas was responsible for crafting the team’s 2017 draft board. But he clearly also played a role in the Eagles’ acquiring players through free agency and trades.

Roseman explained the Eagles’ reasoning for denying Douglas the opportunity to meet with the Texans.

“I think the way that the league rules are is that during the season it’s not expected that you’re allowing people to interview,” Roseman said. “That’s the way rules are written, and we’re going to abide by the way the rules are written. Joe’s a valuable member of our organization. We love having him in Philadelphia.”

While Roseman is essentially the Eagles’ GM — he retains final say over personnel decisions — the GM position is vacant and Douglas could be in line for a promotion. The 40-year-old scout spent most of his formative years with the Ravens working under Hall of Famer Ozzie Newsome.

When he arrived in Philly, Douglas said he wanted to bring physical, hard-nosed players to the Eagles. Wide receivers Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith, defensive tackle Tim Jernigan and safety Corey Graham are the most prominent recent additions with links to Douglas from his time in Baltimore and Chicago.

In the draft, Douglas said he wanted to focus more on a prospect’s college production than on projection. First-round defensive end Derek Barnett has been a steady contributor all season. The rest of the 2017 class hasn’t played as much, but second-round cornerback Sidney Jones missed most of the season with an Achilles injury.

Douglas wouldn’t take credit for the Eagles’ turnaround, but the NFL is noticing.

“It’s flattering, but at the end of the day, your name is getting out there because of guys like Carson Wentz and Lane Johnson,” Douglas said. “It’s the players. It’s the team. Tom Brady, Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning – they made a lot of coaches a lot of money.”
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

It looks like the Band (save probably Diplippo and Duce) will be kept together another year. Being its a Super Bowl year I am surprised at this.

I said it before, I think Douglas really likes it here, he likes the structure as Howie is the talking head but Douglas is the force behind it. Douglas doesn't seem real comfortable speaking with media. I am sure that Douglas will get either a nice pay raise , a better title or both once the season is over.
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Working...
                    X