Can Howie stay under control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Howie stay under control?

There's no doubt about it, Howie made it all possible this season and I will forever be indebted to him. I've got one concern though and I think that it's legit. Can he take a step back and watch a little or does his need for constant roster churning return? It was a dream season for him last year doing all of the wheels and deals and that can be like a drug. He constantly made moves and struck gold on every one of them. Seriously, what were the odds of that? It appears like he's an addict for making deals and I'm sure that he gets a rush over it but it seems like this year we have to maintain the best we can rather than replacing people and bringing in more free agents. In other words he's got to concentrate on contracts and future planning rather than the all in philosophy that we went with last season and that's a major change from what he's done in the past. I wonder if he was totally rehabilitated on his little sabbatical 2 years ago. It's one thing to get to the top of the mountain but it's much harder to stay there. We may never win another SB in my lifetime but I'd sure like to be in the hunt for the next decade.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I don't know if he's done, he may need to trade some guys for cap room. With the Pederson coaching tree branching out, it opens up some possibilities.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
      I don't know if he's done, he may need to trade some guys for cap room. With the Pederson coaching tree branching out, it opens up some possibilities.
      That's what scares me! That kind of attitude was Chip's undoing when he started thinking that he could plug anybody into his system and still win.

Comment

well, I think Chip was more the culprit than Howie. Howie didn't really make any moves that could be argued about. As a matter of fact, I think he did real well and got some guys on the cheap. I doubt he trades to trade, he seems to have things thought out and well planned.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
          well, I think Chip was more the culprit than Howie. Howie didn't really make any moves that could be argued about. As a matter of fact, I think he did real well and got some guys on the cheap. I doubt he trades to trade, he seems to have things thought out and well planned.
          I think that you misunderstood me MM. I meant that IF Howie reverts to the same type of attitude as Chip did in thinking that our organization is so good that anybody can play in it that can lead to problems. We made that mistake with the Gold Standard Stuff years ago too.

Comment

The big moves will be:

1. Foles trade freeing up cap money.
            2. Peters? Can you convert something to a roster bonus to lower his cap number in 18
            3. Bradham?
            4. At what point do you reup, Agholor, Big V, and potentially Darby
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
              The big moves will be:

1. Foles trade freeing up cap money.
              2. Peters? Can you convert something to a roster bonus to lower his cap number in 18
              3. Bradham?
              4. At what point do you reup, Agholor, Big V, and potentially Darby
              You have to figure Wentz's contract into the equation too when you're extending players. Burton basically called the Eagles' offer a joke so he's gone (no surprise there).

I don't know what else they can do with Peters. I think that they've already given him the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                Burton basically called the Eagles' offer a joke so he's gone (no surprise there).

Popper,

I missed that. Where did you hear/read that? Reliable source?

That's disappointing! It's so tough to keep a talented team together anymore.

Comment

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES ON NJ.COM
                  Eagles aren't expected to re-sign TE Trey Burton, source says
                  Updated Feb 23; Posted Feb 23

Tight end Trey Burton played an integral role in the Eagles' Super Bowl LII victory over the New England Patriots, tossing a historic touchdown pass to Nick Foles on the "Philly Special" play, but he could play elsewhere in 2018.

The Eagles have made an offer that Burton "didn't consider serious," and unless the offer is sweetened, Burton likely will sign with another team, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told NJ Advance Media.

The Eagles are roughly $9.6 million above the salary cap, heading into free agency. Burton could be the top tight end available, so, it could be difficult for the Eagles to retain him.

"We are fully expecting Trey to sign elsewhere," said the person, who requested anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak publicly about the contract talks.
                  t as champs

The Eagles ran past the New England Patriots 41-33 on Sunday night to win the first Super Bowl championship in franchise history, and could be well positioned to be favorites at repeating next season.

Last season, Burton caught 23 passes for 248 yards and a career-high five touchdowns in 15 games, playing behind Pro Bowler Zach Ertz on the Eagles' depth chart.

Burton, an undrafted free agent, made one start in 2017 and saw his snaps increase while Ertz recovered from a concussion suffered in Week 13 against the Seattle Seahawks.

In four seasons with the Eagles, Burton has accounted for 63 catches for 629 yards and six touchdowns.

The Eagles will need to address tight end via free agency or the draft, with Brent Celek's possible retirement and Burton's potential departure.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    PHILADELPHIA EAGLES ON NJ.COM
                    Eagles aren't expected to re-sign TE Trey Burton, source says
                    Updated Feb 23; Posted Feb 23

Tight end Trey Burton played an integral role in the Eagles' Super Bowl LII victory over the New England Patriots, tossing a historic touchdown pass to Nick Foles on the "Philly Special" play, but he could play elsewhere in 2018.

The Eagles have made an offer that Burton "didn't consider serious," and unless the offer is sweetened, Burton likely will sign with another team, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told NJ Advance Media.

The Eagles are roughly $9.6 million above the salary cap, heading into free agency. Burton could be the top tight end available, so, it could be difficult for the Eagles to retain him.

"We are fully expecting Trey to sign elsewhere," said the person, who requested anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak publicly about the contract talks.
                    t as champs

The Eagles ran past the New England Patriots 41-33 on Sunday night to win the first Super Bowl championship in franchise history, and could be well positioned to be favorites at repeating next season.

Last season, Burton caught 23 passes for 248 yards and a career-high five touchdowns in 15 games, playing behind Pro Bowler Zach Ertz on the Eagles' depth chart.

Burton, an undrafted free agent, made one start in 2017 and saw his snaps increase while Ertz recovered from a concussion suffered in Week 13 against the Seattle Seahawks.

In four seasons with the Eagles, Burton has accounted for 63 catches for 629 yards and six touchdowns.

The Eagles will need to address tight end via free agency or the draft, with Brent Celek's possible retirement and Burton's potential departure.
                    Thanks!

Looks fairly bleak. With a good chance that Celek retires, that's 2 solid TEs needed to get back to even.

Comment

But wait! There's more!

Trey Burton denies report questioning his Eagles future

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphi...-eagles-future

Several hours after an NJ.com report surfaced that the Eagles were unlikely to re-sign Trey Burton, the tight end denied it on Twitter.
                      Replying to a tweet about the report from former Eagles teammate Emmanuel Acho, Burton said he hasn't spoken to anyone.
                      While he dismisses the report, the reality of the Eagles cap situation (as it is presently) may dictate his exit to greener pa$ture$. That said, I'd love for him to return, personally

Comment

That was probably his agent. Eagles probably gave him a qualifying offer, enough to get a comp pick back, but if he gets a big offer in free agency we simply can't afford it. There are some TEs on the practice squad, and we may draft another.

Howie was filling obvious holes last year. It was crazy that they all worked out. But we did overspend a bit on the salary cap; our depth will no doubt suffer next year unless we hit on some more bargain basement free agents.

Eagles have to make some moves before free agency. Not sure that Howie will make any moves more than what the salary cap dictates, and I'm sure he's had a plan for that. But it wouldn't surprise me if there was a trade or two in there to fix some of the salary cap issues. He can't stand pat, and I'm sure he will be bargain-basement hunting again (although we may be playing the comp pick game this year, meaning we may shy away from free agents who count against comp picks).

Comment

I'm hear to say that if the birds gave Trey Burton some big contract last year Howie, et al, would have caught flak from many fans. Just as he is getting now about some deals.
                          Burton was tendered and if I recall some thought the tender was far too high. But they tendered him and he is still here. I have always thought they liked Burton and planned to have him when Celek left but couldn't work in a big contract. Maybe now there will be some movement on Celek and Burton retained or maybe Celek wants to stay and Burton moves on. Whichever way it goes some fans won't be happy and will bust Howie's balls just like they have since the day he showed up in the FO.
                          I fully expect Howie to make moves. Hell I encourage it because you can't stay stagnant and you have to manage the cap and you have to manage the team every year. Some come and some go every year. Some moves fans like and some they don't. I seem to remember a hell of a lot of Eagles fans crowing about hiring the worst available coach when the hired Doug and they were wrong.
                          I have no reason to think Howie will be a problem
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

I'm not complaining ND, just wondering how Howie is going to handle not going after a big score this off season like he usually does, that's all. I thought that the tender was too high (I still do because teams way overvalue draft picks) because I foolishly believed that we were finally up against the mythical salary cap (silly me) and I thought that we could save some money there. I also wrongly thought that the guy was really overrated, I'll admit that. I still think if he ever had to piss in a cup he'd be gone though. He looked about 20 lbs. heavier this year. That being said he was an outstanding player for us this year and it will be tough to lose him.

This post wasn't a knock on Howie. I was just pointing out that his roll is going to be a 180 from last season. His only job was to bring in talent at all costs because Jeff told him to go all in. It was like turning your wife loose with your credit card with no limit for 6 months. This year he has to clean up some of the mess and that's not nearly as much fun.

Comment

Yea I'm not knocking you 60 but you know as well as I do some beat them up for winning the sal cap Lombardi but not the real one. Well now they have on the real one so no complaints here about not winning the sal cap Lombardi. There is no doubt it will be tougher this year and, although it is verryyyy early, I'm not sure they can repeat. Not sure how NE does it but getting back to the super bowl or even the championship game is brutally hard I think. I just hope they are competitive in every game and hit their stride when playoff time comes around.
                              Howie will have a tough time this year as will the coaches and players. Probably a little tougher on Howie because he is balancing a lot of eggs on his plate; but I think his is kind of a tough job every year.
                              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X