No announcement yet.

Not sure I like this trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do not like losing low draft choices...at all!

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
      Do not like losing low draft choices...at all!
      You must mean studs like Agholor and Marcus Smith. I'll take a starter for a #3. At least we know exactly what we are getting. How do we even know Sidney Jones is any good? The draft is a crap shoot Bud.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

LeSean McCoy didn’t exactly give Jordan Matthews a warm welcome to the Bills

The Jordan Matthews trade wasn’t the only deal the Bills made on Friday. Buffalo also sent 2014 first-round wide receiver Sammy Watkins to the Los Angeles Rams.

Not everyone is so happy about the trade in Buffalo ... including former Philadelphia Eagles running back LeSean McCoy. Via Mike Rodak of ESPN:

Bills RB LeSean McCoy said Friday he can relate to Sammy Watkins being hurt after being traded "for a guy he's probably better than" in WR Jordan Matthews. McCoy, of course, was traded from the Eagles to the Bills for linebacker Kiko Alonso in 2015.

Bills RB LeSean McCoy said Friday there is "obviously a difference" between Sammy Watkins and Jordan Matthews. "If you compare the two, it's obvious you can agree who is better." However, McCoy said he will have to "wait and see" how the Bills are affected by the deal.
        Yikes. That’s, uh, not exactly the most warm welcome for Matthews to Buffalo. I mean, it’s Shady, so it’s not too surprising, but still.

McCoy and Matthews were teammates in Philadelphia for a season back in 2014. They’ll be teammates again now moving forward. You’d think McCoy would be a little less ... insulting.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          You must mean studs like Agholor and Marcus Smith. I'll take a starter for a #3. At least we know exactly what we are getting. How do we even know Sidney Jones is any good? The draft is a crap shoot Bud.
          Life is a crap shoot.

I know the draft is a big one as well but some GMs seem to make a practice of using low draft choices to add guys with enough talent to actually earn playing time . A novel proposal I know.

Do we know "exactly what we are getting"? Maybe Darby is really "the nuts"...maybe not. I'll believe it when I see him play a season. I remember not so long ago we brought in a pro bowler that we were all ready to love. He was the missing piece...a shut down corner...in what was going to be a great secondary. Only problem was that he fucking sucked ass. Maybe he was listening to the wrong kind of music when he ate lunch alone in his car.

Forgive me Popper but I've become a pessimist. Sixty plus years of Eagles' football will do that to you.

Comment

I remember Darby from his College Days at Fla St, real good CB & a CB that Schwartz would be familiar with from his time in Buffalo. I don't like giving up a 3rd but let's face it, we were not going to sign Matthews after this year anyway & the greatest weakness is at CB. I'd have to think that Robinson & Darby both start on September 10th with the Nickel being a "Camp Battle".
            Overall I like this trade alot & give kudos to Howie.
            Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

I don't know much about Darby and I hope his 4.38 speed is not needed to chase down WRs after picking his jock off the turf. I know that Matthews had some issues, but you could pretty much pencil him in for 8-900 yards every season. Only time will tell, but CB is a major need and if he is a player and Jones makes it back, we have a pretty good back end and the also ranks can be depth or move on down the road. Start coaching the kid up, I don't care to see him learning till game 12 or so. He needs to hit the ground running.
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Patrick Robinson and Ron Brooks hate this trade.
                You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I can't help but think that Darby, being a proven commodity, is more than likely better than any CB the Eagles would draft in the 3rd round. I'm not that big of a fan of Jordan Matthews. CB is obviously the biggest need on the team, and had the potential to be a major dumpster fire. If Darby plays as well here as he did in Buffalo, I like this trade a lot. They really needed this guy.

Comment

Who is our possession receiver now? Who gets receiving TDs?

We had explosive deep ball guys, but someone is going to have to step up

I hope to hell we aren't counting on Agholar. Sorry, but he is what he is. A flop and someone drafted too high

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post

I hope to hell we aren't counting on Agholar. Sorry, but he is what he is. A flop and someone drafted too high
                      This move tells me that they must really like Marcus Johnson. Also with the WRs in our division, you can't have enough good corners. I like Mills and I hope Douglas develops. You never know, we might end up trading one of our corners down the road and get that pick back.
                      Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                        Life is a crap shoot.

I know the draft is a big one as well but some GMs seem to make a practice of using low draft choices to add guys with enough talent to actually earn playing time . A novel proposal I know.

Do we know "exactly what we are getting"? Maybe Darby is really "the nuts"...maybe not. I'll believe it when I see him play a season. I remember not so long ago we brought in a pro bowler that we were all ready to love. He was the missing piece...a shut down corner...in what was going to be a great secondary. Only problem was that he fucking sucked ass. Maybe he was listening to the wrong kind of music when he ate lunch alone in his car.

Forgive me Popper but I've become a pessimist. Sixty plus years of Eagles' football will do that to you.
                        Maxwell is a strange situation as he has been really good in Miami. Go figure. I still like that trade though no matter how good he is because he eventually helped us get Wentz.

I really think that people over value draft picks. It's true that FAs always don't fit in, especially on defense it seems. I don't know if it's the coaching or team chemistry but there are a lot of seemingly stud FAs who shit the bed on defense with their new teams. I'm thinking that if you just add one it will work out. Whatever happens our dbs are going to suck for a couple of years. Sidney Jones is certainly not going to get plugged in and be a star. I really hated that pick because he's not going to have much of an impact until the 2019 season no matter how good he is.

Comment

This sounds promising

Ronald Darby is a low-key lockdown cornerback

Timothy T. Ludwig-USA TODAY Sports
                          Acquiring Ronald Darby from the Buffalo Bills was not cheap for the Philadelphia Eagles. Howie Roseman shipped out both Jordan Matthews and a 2018 third-round pick for the 23-year-old cornerback.

So, just how good is Darby anyway? In order to answer that question and others, I reached out to our friends at Buffalo Rumblings. Jeff Hunter (@MrJeffHunter) was kind enough to give us a Bills perspective on the Eagles’ newest cornerback. Check out my Q&A with him below.

1) How are Bills fans reacting to this trade? How do they feel about losing Darby? How do they feel about getting Jordan Matthews and a 2018 draft pick?

It's hard to consider this trade in a vacuum, because the Sammy Watkins-to-LA deal came together at the same time and complimented this trade so closely (GM Brandon Beane said as much as his presser about the deals). On that note, it's been hard to unpack the sentiment around Darby because all of the thunder is going to Watkins. Darby was pretty much locked in to be the number one cornerback, and he really hadn't seen much press during the offseason one way or the other. Throw in the fact that he's not due to hit free agency for another two years, and it's really just a huge shock. Nobody saw this one coming.

As far as the return, Matthews seems like a productive receiver but it's hard to tell where he'll fit with the Bills. Given that the team just signed Anquan Boldin last week, and Zay Jones didn't see much action in the loss to the Vikings on Thursday, it's hard to know what to expect because nobody's sure what he'll be doing besides catching passes. The draft pick, on the other hand, is what really has the fans chattering. After the trades, the Bills will have two picks in each of the first three rounds (as well as the chance to land a compensatory third with some clever roster maneuvers). Beane and Sean McDermott (McBeane, if you will) would never admit to a tank, and the roster seems somewhat competitive for 2017, but these moves were clearly about the future and the third-round pick is a big part of that.

2) What are Darby’s strengths?

Darby is what I'd call a low-key lockdown corner; he's not going to get an island named after him, but he's capable of keeping just about any receiver out there in check. He's always been great at breaking up passes, and he's a solid tackler. He was a contender for the Defensive Rookie of the Year award that went to Marcus Peters a couple years ago, and nobody was really worried about his ability to take over for Stephon Gilmore as the team's top cornerback.

3) What are Darby’s weaknesses?

The general assumption that's come out of the trade is that Darby wasn't a fit for McDermott's defense, which usually uses a Cover 3 scheme and relies heavily on zone coverage. Rex Ryan's defense was very man-based, which suited Darby's physicality. It's also worth noting that, while he does have 33 pass breakups in two seasons, he only has two interceptions, both in 2015. A few of those pass breakups could have been interceptions in a different corner's hands (not necessarily better, but different)

4) It seems like Darby had more success in 2015 than he did last year. Is that accurate? Any reason for that?

It's right on the nose to say that Darby regressed in 2016, but it's hard to say exactly why. The Bills struggled with safety play last year to a huge extent, but even Darby was struggling to hold on to his job near the end of the year. He suffered a concussion and missed a game in December, but his problems were around well before that. I hate to throw out cliches like "sophomore slump," but it's still kind of a mystery and something that could easily right itself moving forward.

5) Do you believe Darby can be a good starting cornerback in the NFL? What’s his ceiling? Is he a No. 1 cornerback? One of the better starting corners in the league?

Darby is a clear-cut number one corner on many rosters, and if he weren't he'd be one of the best number two corners in the league. The only thing holding him back from real prominence (aside from the aforementioned slump) is his inability to convert pass breakups into interceptions. If he can start hanging on to the ball, he's a Pro Bowler.

6) To the best of your knowledge, what’s your impression of Darby off the field?

Darby seems like a pretty nice guy. He shouldn't be a troublemaker or anything like that, and he was active in the community in Buffalo from what I've seen. He can speak his mind on Twitter sometimes (@realronalddarby), but nothing incendiary.

Comment

Sounds like a great pick up and saying that about a player in a position of need is a very welcome surprise! I have my doubts about whether the Eagles can replace Matthews production, or more importantly provide the security blanket he gave Wentz. But it does seem like we improved the secondary with what sounds like a quality starter. And getting one of those in AUGUST is damned near impossible at the DB position! I'm not ready to congratulate Howie just yet but if we can remain solid over the middle and Darby really does improve the DBs this may turn out to be a good trade. Losing that third round pick hurts a lot, but we've seen him pull a rabbit out of a hat in past drafts, so hopefully he has some more magic in store for us next April.
                            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Who gets receiving TD? We have this guy named Jeffrey who should be good for 10-12 of them. I would expect the Tight ends to have more space to move down in the red zone because of the Jeffrey, so I think they are going to get more TD's. Hollins is a big body, who says Smith can't catch balls in the zone etc.

Possession receiver, we have this guy named Jeffrey, but we also have a ton of young guys with talent like Hollins (who it looks like I may be wrong about), Treggs looked real good the other night, Turner is hurt but wasn't he the camp darling last year.

As far as the slot goes I wouldn't put it past seeing a ton of Burton, Ertz, Sproles as well as Agholor, Hollins, Treggs, Even Smith and Jeffrey could be in there at times.

We can survive without Mathews, I am not so sure we would have survive with the CB group before Darby.

Also one other thing on yards, Mathews and DGB (the two other starters opposite Agholor last year) combined for 1250 yards receiving. I will say this, Jeffrey should replace that alone. But even if he doesn't he should get at least 1000 yards, really what you are looking for is somebody to set up in the slot to get 300-350 yards. Agholor should be able to do that, or maybe Ertz gets another 200 yards, Burton another 100 etc.
                              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Mathews was our best WR. Jeffrey should be, but he is always hurt. He better stay healthy.

Is Darby really worth Mathews AND a 3rd?

I need to digest this more. Right now I don't love it
                                Sorry Dawk. I'm on Howie's ass a lot but I love this move. It frees up cap space and nobody is going to miss painfully average Matthews and his drops. Let's make it a clean sweep and cut that stiff Agholor's ass tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X