Michael Irvin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Irvin

First off Happy New Year to one and all! Maybe the holiday spirit is getting to me, but I am rethinking my hatred for Irvin now that he is 15 years removed from being a Puke. Listened to him on Sid Rosenberg's show today on WFAN and was impressed. He was articulate and insightful. His point about Dallas's retaining Garrett is that they really had no choice given the Romo injury ... not b/c the injury provided an excuse for losing, but b/c Romo's injury would prevent him from learning any new offensive system that might be introduced by Garrett's replacement. Solid point and completely true, although I don't know if it entered Jerry's thick head.

Then on the subject of the Eagles and their fans, Irvin said he is an NFC East guy and pulls for that division's representative when Dallas is out. Rosenberg provoked him by asking how he could ever root for a team whose "classless" fans cheered his injury (and booed Santa Claus). Irvin gave a very thoughtful answer that went back to his days growing up poor in Miami. Basically said that fans who spend their hard earned money to attend a game sometimes get carried away and that while he does not condone stupid acts he will not condemn the people as "classless". Maybe b/c I am comparing Irvin to Rosenberg, who seems to be a primo douche bag, I thought Irvin came off extremely well. Will keep an ear out for his thoughts more in the future.
    Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
    Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Irvin is a changed man. If anybody ever saw his HOF induction speech they would understand. Think Mike Vick and you will understand. Add to that the fact that he is a funny and charismatic and you can see why he's on tv. As for his insight, he always speaks from the heart. He's one of the reasons I watch the NFL cannel, and there aren't many more.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Immediately after the interview Irvin stabbed Rosenberg in the neck with a fork. Screw Irvin. He is a p-o-s who should be in prison.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
        Immediately after the interview Irvin stabbed Rosenberg in the neck with a fork. Screw Irvin. He is a p-o-s who should be in prison.
        That comment reminds me of Santa and snowballs in Philly . He's a new man.

Comment

Too be fair, after that interview I might have stabbed Rosenberg with a fork if one was handy ... altho I probably would have gone for an eyeball.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            Irvin is a changed man. If anybody ever saw his HOF induction speech they would understand. Think Mike Vick and you will understand. Add to that the fact that he is a funny and charismatic and you can see why he's on tv. As for his insight, he always speaks from the heart. He's one of the reasons I watch the NFL cannel, and there aren't many more.
            Yeah I remember being completely stunned by his HOF speech -- was expecting a disaster and it was actually one of the best I've heard (which admittedly isn't many but it was very good and very heartfelt).

I think he also thought Foles was the better choice during the season when it was still an open question between him and Vick (unlike just about every other NFL Network personality). That also really surprised me.

He can still be just as inane as the others sometimes, but I can definitely believe he's a changed guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
              I'll pass on Irvin for once other than to say I wish he woul stab Rosenberg in the neck, preferably both jugular veins. Sid Rosenberg is the epitome of a shock jock who's schtick is to be intentionally mean spirited and cruel. He appeared frequently on the Imus radio show and threw threw homophobic and racial slurs around with callous indifference.

Born in Brooklyn, he is a life long Giants and Yankees fan. I'd pay good money for one swing at his ugly face with Richie Allen's bat.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                Yeah I remember being completely stunned by his HOF speech -- was expecting a disaster and it was actually one of the best I've heard (which admittedly isn't many but it was very good and very heartfelt).

I think he also thought Foles was the better choice during the season when it was still an open question between him and Vick (unlike just about every other NFL Network personality). That also really surprised me.

He can still be just as inane as the others sometimes, but I can definitely believe he's a changed guy.
                Also to his credit he was in Vick's camp as the starter as was just about everybody. He was one of the first "outsides" to jump on Foles.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                  I'll pass on Irvin for once other than to say I wish he woul stab Rosenberg in the neck, preferably both jugular veins. Sid Rosenberg is the epitome of a shock jock who's schtick is to be intentionally mean spirited and cruel. He appeared frequently on the Imus radio show and threw threw homophobic and racial slurs around with callous indifference.

Born in Brooklyn, he is a life long Giants and Yankees fan. I'd pay good money for one swing at his ugly face with Richie Allen's bat.

Dude's got a face for radio ... gotta give him that.

Comment

Irvin has definitely changed his opinion of the Eagles. I think he appreciates what Kelly has done and how the team has made ridiculous strides in just one season. He also has done a 180 on Cooper who he definitely did not like at the start of the season. There was an article that talked about how well Kelly handled the whole Cooper situation and I believe that because it was handled so well, has caused a lot of the talking heads to change their opinions- not an easy thing to do.

Comment

He may be a changed man but I don't hold him to the same level as Vick because Vick went to prison, lost it all, lived on the other side for a while and fessed up. Irvin has never really been held accountable for what he did and that matters to me.
                      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                        He may be a changed man but I don't hold him to the same level as Vick because Vick went to prison, lost it all, lived on the other side for a while and fessed up. Irvin has never really been held accountable for what he did and that matters to me.
                        Not only was he never held accountable for his rampant drug use and felony assault, his shady background is never even alluded to by the hacks in the media.

As far as changes he's made, I wouldn't know. I have to admit I usually turn the radio down or mute him on TV. That's not a reaction aimed at Irvin in particular. I mute or turn down well over over half the tools in the sports media.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                          If he's changed, it's nowhere near what Vick has done, most definitely. I have been incredibly impressed how he has handled his situation this season -- he might have been able to derail the team if he so chose (or at least forced the team to release him). He has handled it more responsibly than most would.

But that doesn't really change that Irvin may have some good things to say -- not someone you can automatically dismiss.

Comment

He will always remain Michael Irvin, piece of shit to me.
                            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Have no way to tell if he is a "changed" man, but I know he has never been held accountable for his crap. My best guess is that his "change" may only be due to his need for employment after the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X