Schwartz and the defensive coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwartz and the defensive coaches

I'm looking at Schwartz and the defensive coaches. I do this because I'm fearful we could lose Schwartz in the offseason and with how this defense is playing, I'm hoping there is a protege' in the making. What's odd is that it appears most of the position coaches have not worked with Schwartz so how did they get here?

Defensive Line Coach - Chris Wilson - 23 yrs as a college coach - 1st year in the NFL. Position coach for Fletcher Cox in college.
    Defensive Backs Coach - Cory Undlin - 13 yrs in the NFL but I don't believe he has crossed paths with Schwartz before this.
    Linebacker Coach - Ken Flajole - 17 yrs in NFL - 1st with the Eagles - doesn't appear to have worked with Schwartz before either.

Those are the primary guys and it is somewhat baffling to me to see these guys with very little ties to Schwartz, very little tenure with the Eagles and yet they are playing so well together. I really like what Undlin has done with the secondary and he was a guru with the Broncos before he came here. Flajole has been a DC before so that could be a natural progression although I'm sure Pederson has a large rolodex of contacts. Hopefully Schwartz stays on and keeps this ball rolling but I'm thinking he will get another shot this offseason.

Sure seems like bird coaches may be getting some looks but I wonder if it will be position coaches rather than Schwartz or Reich. I was very happy when they got Undlin and happy he stayed on.
    I'd be curious to know if Doug had any dealings or contact with Sean McDermott
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I just don't know if teams view Schwartz as HC material any more. Hiring a former HC who was fired as an OC or DC seems to be the best way to have stability on the coaching staff. While it is certainly possible that Schwartz gets some HC looks, the fact that he has already had his shot will certainly hurt his chances IMO.

Comment

Schwartz is a great DC but it helps to have possibly the best and deepest DL in decades. The way we keep rolling out big, athletic guys along the front just wears out the offense. Beau Allen and Barnett would play 80-85 percent of the snaps on most teams. It’s really a thing of beauty to watch them get better as the game goes on.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
          Schwartz is a great DC but it helps to have possibly the best and deepest DL in decades. The way we keep rolling out big, athletic guys along the front just wears out the offense. Beau Allen and Barnett would play 80-85 percent of the snaps on most teams. It’s really a thing of beauty to watch them get better as the game goes on.
          So true. Howie must have sold his sole, because everything he does these days turns golden. Great job again Howie !

Comment

I'd like to suggest that Schwartz defense has helped to make this DLine what it is. Graham becomes a complete player once Schwartz and the 4-3 comes back. Curry has shown improved performance. So while Schwartz had some challenges as a head coach, he did take the Lions to the playoffs for the first time in 12 years and well.....it is the Lions. Schwartz is also still relatively young at 51.

Comment

Before we worry so much about this-- let's remember that this is a two way street in some respects. the more attractive our coaches become--- the team also becomes a much more attractive destination for other coaches to come to.

Also--- it's a good problem to have IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                Before we worry so much about this-- let's remember that this is a two way street in some respects. the more attractive our coaches become--- the team also becomes a much more attractive destination for other coaches to come to.

True MD. I really think the biggest asset Schwartz has is his personality. We're going to get wiped out though and good assistants are hard to find. We know this because we've had mostly garbage since 2004. Outside of Stoutland I can't think of a decent one that we've had until Doug showed up.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

They need to do whatever they can to keep Groh and Deuce. Groh has done wonders with our WRs and Deuce has been masterful at managing the RB by committee. I anticipate Schwartz being gone- what he did in Detroit has nothing to do with what he will be like in his next HC opportunity.

Even under JJ I didn’t see this kind of domination and havoc dished out by the defense. You can’t run on the Eagles because of Fletcher Cox and Jernigan and you can’t pass because of the DBs who now have Darby who looks like the best DB in the game right now. And the pass rushers are just sick. Barnett looks like the second coming of Derrick Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post

True MD. I really think the biggest asset Schwartz has is his personality. We're going to get wiped out though and good assistants are hard to find. We know this because we've had mostly garbage since 2004. Outside of Stoutland I can't think of a decent one that we've had until Doug showed up. The one thing that might hold Schwartz just might be that strong personality. Players want nicey nicey guys now and so do GMs.

Comment

If Schwartz goes, we have a guy with Eagle ties who was a DC.

We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Juan is an excellent coach. I wouldn't be shocked if he came back here in some capacity. I doubt if he would want to because he got such a bad rap before. He got his SB ring with the Ravens in 2013 as offensive line coach. He's with McDermot now in Buffalo.

Comment

Castillo to D coordinator was the biggest head scratcher ever. What did Andy see in him to justify such a move?

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                            Castillo to D coordinator was the biggest head scratcher ever. What did Andy see in him to justify such a move?
                            The defense played pretty good for him when he first started. They had crap at linebacker if I remember right. That defense got worse when he left. Andy wanted him back in KC but Juan turned him down. I don't remember what kind of job it was though.

Comment

Working...
                            X