Eagles get RB Jay Ajayi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This looks promising.....

"Like a train rambling off its tracks, Ajayi hasn’t had much of a running lane to speak of. Although it’s convenient to think he can create his own holes (and often, he does), there is a limit. And if you want a startling statistic, try this: Of Ajayi’s 184 yards this season, 148 have come after initial contact, according to Pro Football Focus.

To put it another way: 80 percent of the time, Ajayi is having to work as a one-man gang, getting hit at the line of scrimmage or before he even gets that far.

Although Ajayi has played three games to most everybody else’s four, he’s fourth among NFL backs in missed tackles created, 14."

Comment

The left Tackle position is not as bad as some think. Big V did give up a sack last week but other than that he played OK. He isn't Peters then again nobody available is Peters. It was a lose a lose they have to overcome, just like losing Sproles and they have not overcome that yet.

Look they are better today than they were last night. Teams have to account for Ajayi, no other RB on this team do they have to account for.

Would I like to get a Tackle like Cordy Glenn, sure would but at what cost? Seattle blew it out of the water last night by overpaying for Brown.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I texted my son in law as soon as I saw this. He is the most hugest Dolphin fan there is and he is pissed big time. Says we will love him....

Comment

"Everyone in the league knows he's a first round talent who fell because of a degenerative knee condition."

From the Dolphins board. I have seen this in a few places with people saying he has a limited NFL career due to his knees.

Comment

Said on the other thread I am good with this. I think it helps protect Wentz in addition to being better than other backs on the team.
            Blount isn't explosive, Clement is going to be good but is a rookie and I just don't think his pass pro can be relied on, Smallwood isn't available enough
            I also don't think he is being looked at as a long term guy. I think they are addressing this year
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
              "Everyone in the league knows he's a first round talent who fell because of a degenerative knee condition."

From the Dolphins board. I have seen this in a few places with people saying he has a limited NFL career due to his knees.
              This isn't taking on a guy who is overpaid or old. This is a 24yr old in a rookie contract for what is probably a late fourth round pick. Every move comes with risk, but for the price of 375k this year 615k next year and a 4th round pick its well worth it. Its not like taking on Demarco Murray at 8 mill a year. Its a very good risk to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post

We only need him for this year. I love the deal!
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

PFF ranks Smallwood 44th out of 44 running backs in pass protection. A person can argue about the validity of PFF's ratings, but Smallwood has been really bad in pass pro by any measuring stick. That clearly was why he didn't even see the field until the 2nd half of the last game.

Blount isn't much better.

Clement is limited, and Barner obviously isn't going to be on the field much.

Ajayi is a very good blocker, and may give you the same kind of downhill running that Blount gives you. Plus, he has this year AND 2018 left on his rookie contract which pays him peanuts. (Around $600K/year.)

So even for the future, this eliminates the absolute need to use draft assets or pay big bucks for a FA running back, which is important since the Eagles have so few picks, and minimal cap space.

This was unexpected, but a bit of a no brainer.

Based on Smallwood's usage in the last game, my guess is that he's simply a healthy scratch on Sunday, and the Eagles go into the game with Barner has their return man, and give 60% of the carries to Ajayi and 40% to Blount.

It wouldn't surprise me if they pick up a back-up LB or OT, in which case I'm not sure who gets cut.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                    It wouldn't surprise me if they pick up a back-up LB or OT, in which case I'm not sure who gets cut.
                    I don't think they have IRed Hicks yet, have they?
                    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Word out of Miami was that Ajayi was one of these guys

Truth comes out: Some Miami Dolphins don’t love game as much as organization thought
                      Hal Habib
                      October 30, 2017 2017 Regular season, Front office, Hal Habib.
                      Facebook Twitter Share 21

Dolphins coach Adam Gase speaks after the 40-0 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

DAVIE — In the spring of 2016, new Dolphins general manager Chris Grier held one of those pre-draft news conferences designed to reveal as little as possible about the upcoming selections.

“Really, you just want guys that are competitive, that love football, have passion for the game, are football smart and are driven to succeed,” Grier said. “Coaches can’t always push guys. You want guys who are going to push themselves and basically just love to compete. It’s what we’ve talked about from Day 1, just bringing competitive players (in that) we love, that love football.”

That’s a whole lotta “love.” A week later, when the Dolphins took offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil in the first round, the reasoning was predictable.

“He loves football,” Grier said.

On and on it went, in both last year’s draft and this year’s: Receiver Leonte Carroo “loves football,” guard Isaac Asiata has “a love for football” and cornerback Cordrea Tankersley is another of those who “love the game.”

Today, we know better.

That’s not to say any of the aforementioned players don’t love the game. Maybe they do.

But what we now know is a significant number of Dolphins don’t love the game.

We know this because the Dolphins said so.

A day after the Dolphins were undressed by the Baltimore Ravens 40-0, they were stripped naked by coach Adam Gase, who began his news conference by saying the problems with his offense isn’t that players are having trouble retaining their assignments, but that they’re not bothering to study them in the first place.

Like antsy students waiting for that 3 p.m. bell, players are blowing off homework required to nail down details that can’t be absorbed strictly in meetings. And that includes the team’s best players.

Gase covered all that ground in the answer to the very first question. With each successive answer, he piled it on.

Comment

Gase might not last long in Miami. Calling out players in press conferences is pretty much admitting that you don't have control of your team.

All that being said, I hope Ajayi doesn't disturb the chemistry here. No doubt, he will come in with a chip on his shoulder and try to prove Gase wrong.
                        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                          Gase might not last long in Miami. Calling out players in press conferences is pretty much admitting that you don't have control of your team.

All that being said, I hope Ajayi doesn't disturb the chemistry here. No doubt, he will come in with a chip on his shoulder and try to prove Gase wrong.
                          The Pats had good luck with a few jerks when Bruski and Harrison lead the locker room. Too bad JP (the enforcer) is gone but we have a lot of guys who are tuned in.

Comment

Playing in Miami is like playing in a cesspool. Look who their starting QB is. That limits the whole offense.

Comment

I seem to remember us trading a certain RB and cutting a certain WR because they were not fitting into the “culture”. How did that work out for us? Talent wins. I think this locker room is really strong and Ajayi comes here and flourishes under Doug.

Comment

Yea I will wait to see what happens with Ajayi. This may sound sacrileges but maybe Gase is the problem with them wanting to love football. I'm not saying it is the players or the coaches only that some people don't turn out to be good head coaches. Maybe that is Gase.
                                I think Dougie and crew have a good vibe with the players and Ajayi will fit in. If he doesn't he will beg one.
                                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                                Hope is not a strategy
                                RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X