• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Receiver Could Drop

Grab McKinney in the first and this guy or Hamler in the second

Fringe 1st-round receiver Brandon Aiyuk undergoes core muscle surgery
    By Dave Zangaro April 07, 2020 11:59 AM
    Possible first-round receiver Brandon Aiyuk reportedly had surgery today in Philadelphia, according to NFL Network.

The speedy Arizona State receiver is thought to be a possible late-first-round or second-round pick in the NFL Draft later this month.

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo
    Arizona State WR Brandon Aiyuk, a possible first-round pick, underwent a core-muscle surgery today performed by noted surgeon William Meyers, sources say. Aiyuk has been dealing with the issue the last few months. Ran 4.50 at the Combine. Decided to fix now with no OTAs in sight.

11:05 AM - Apr 7, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    267 people are talking about this
    Meyers, who is based in Philadelphia, is widely considered to be the top surgeon in the country for this procedure. He draws in athletes from all over the country for this particular surgery.

It’s the same surgery DeSean Jackson ended up needing last year and that another draft prospect, Laviska Shenault, had in February.

The big question with Aiyuk is this: What does this do to his draft stock?

Well, a surgery a little over two weeks from the draft certainly won’t help. But at least it explains why he ran a 4.50 in the 40-yard dash at the combine. That’s not a bad time at all, but Aiyuk looks faster in games and that’s probably because he is.

The likelihood of no OTAs is an interesting wrinkle in this. The normal recovery time after this kind of surgery is around 4-8 weeks. So because there likely won’t be any practices until training camp, there’s a good chance Aiyuk will be completely healed by then.

In an Eagles-only mock draft on March 31, I had the Eagles taking Aiyuk with the 53rd pick but I wasn’t completely convinced he’d be there. This injury/surgery makes it slightly more likely that he is.

Replacing N’Keal Harry for the Sun Devils in 2019, Aiyuk had a big season, catching 65 passes for 1,192 yards (18.3) and 8 touchdowns. But he also played just two seasons at ASU after transferring from a JUCO program.

Despite the injury, Aiyuk tested well at the combine. And his freakish wingspan gives him a giant catch radius.

Where Aiyuk really shines is with the ball in his hands. He also returned kicks and punts at ASU and his YAC ability is impressive. Aiyuk would be a great weapon for Doug Pederson and the Eagles’ offense.

Maybe this surgery helps him fall into their range in Round 2.

Subscribe and rate the Eagle Eye podcast:
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

If Lamb, Ruggs, Jeudy, Jefferson are all gone before 21 it will really open up options to not go WR

K’Lavon Chaisson?
    Kenneth Murray?
    Grant Delpit?
    Force lower end WRs like Higgins, Shenault, Mims or Aiyuk who really don’t seem worth 21 overall
    Trade down?

Going to be interesting. I’m not a big McKinney fan personally.

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
      If Lamb, Ruggs, Jeudy, Jefferson are all gone before 21 it will really open up options to not go WR

K’Lavon Chaisson?
      Kenneth Murray?
      Grant Delpit?
      Force lower end WRs like Higgins, Shenault, Mims or Aiyuk who really don’t seem worth 21 overall
      Trade down?

Going to be interesting. I’m not a big McKinney fan personally.
      Yetur Gross-Matos
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I am not a fan of Hamler in round 1. I would like them to go in another direction and look for a WR in round 2.

Comment

No Brandon Aiyuk!!!

If they draft that kid before the 7th round I'll throw a brick through my tv. He's got the same injury as Jackson so one is enough. I'm sick of drafting guys that are hurt because I can't remember one time that it's worked out other than a very average Jones which was another miss for the most part. Hell, last year we had about 10 guys who missed OTAs and 5 on the bench for the opener.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

60, it's a hernia. If Jackson would have had the surgery he would have played down the stretch. It's not like he destroyed his knee. He can catch and run, has an overdrive gear and if he would fall to 53, IMO would be a steal. If we don't get a guy in the first, he would be a good back up pick

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
              60, it's a hernia. If Jackson would have had the surgery he would have played down the stretch. It's not like he destroyed his knee. He can catch and run, has an overdrive gear and if he would fall to 53, IMO would be a steal. If we don't get a guy in the first, he would be a good back up pick
              Still don't like it. The doctors to DJ that he was OK too. No thanks.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
              X