No announcement yet.

History shows Eagles tip their hand to some extent with visits before the draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History shows Eagles tip their hand to some extent with visits before the draft

IgglesBlitz, In-Depth Philadelphia Eagles Analysis
    About Contact Us Draft Info Eagles History Practice Squad
    Updated Player Interest
    Posted: April 1st, 2019 | Author: Tommy Lawlor

Pro Days are starting to wind down, but we’re still getting more info on who the Eagles have been checking out and who has been visiting Philly. Let’s take an updated look at the list.

Top 30 Visits

S Darnell Savage – Maryland
    S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson – Florida
    S Juan Thornhill – Virginia
    CB Amani Oruwariye – Penn State
    CB Isaiah Johnson – Houston
    DE L.J. Collier – TCU
    DE Oshane Ximines- Old Dominion
    DT Ed OIiver – Houston

OT Tytus Howard – Alabama State
    OG Chris Lindstrom – Boston College
    OL Cody Ford – Oklahoma
    OL Hjalte Froholdt – Arkansas
    RB Karan Higdon – Michigan
    WR A.J. Brown – Ole Miss

Pro Days / Workouts

OT Tytus Howard – Alabama State – Jeff Stoutland at his Pro Day
    OT Martez Ivey – Florida – Met with him
    OT Isaiah Prince – Ohio State – Asst OL coach at his Pro Day
    OG Michael Jordan – Ohio State – Asst OL coach at his Pro Day
    OG Nate Davis – Charlotte – Asst OL coach at his Pro Day
    OG Chris Lindstrom – Boston College – Jeff Stoutland at his Pro Day
    OG Demetrius Knox – Ohio State – Met with him at his Pro Day
    TE Kahale Warring – San Diego State – TE coach at his Pro Day
    TE Trevon Wesco – West Virginia – Met with him at his Pro Day
    WR Corey Contini – Ohio Dominican – Eagles scout talked to him at his Pro Day
    RB Josh Jacobs – Alabama – Duce Staley worked him out at his Pro Day
    RB Damien Harris – Alabama – Duce Staley worked him out at his Pro Day
    RB Trayveon Williams – Texas A&M – Coach at his Pro Day
    RB Travis Homer – Miami – Duce Staley worked him out at his Pro Day
    RB Darrell Henderson – Memphis – Duce Staley worked him out at his Pro Day
    RB Tony Pollard – Memphis – Duce Staley worked him out at his Pro Day
    RB Darwin Thompson – Utah State – Private workout
    RB David Montgomery – Iowa State – Met with him at his Pro Day
    RB Devin Singletary – Florida Atlantic – Duce Staley met with him at his Pro Day
    QB Tyree Jackson – Buffalo – Assistant coach at his Pro Day

DE Jaylon Ferguson- La Tech – DL coach at his Pro Day
    DE Clelin Ferrell – Clemson – DL coach at his Pro Day
    DE Austin Bryant – Clemson – DL coach at his Pro Day
    DE Ahmad Gooden – Samford – Showing some interest
    DE Porter Gustin – USC – Scout worked him out at his Pro Day
    DE Titus Davis – UCF – DL coach at his Pro Day
    DE Montez Sweat – Miss State – Met with him at his Pro Day
    DE Maxx Crosby – Eastern Michigan – Scout worked him out at his Pro Day
    DT Trysten Hill – UCF – DL coach worked him out at his Pro Day
    DT Dexter Lawrence – Clemson – DL coach at his Pro Day
    DT Christian Wilkins – Clemson – DL coach at his Pro Day
    DT Albert Huggins – Clemson – DL coach at his Pro Day
    DT Jeffery Simmons – Miss State – Dined with him before Pro Day (injured, couldn’t work out)
    LB Emeke Egbule – Houston – Private workout
    CB JoeJuan Williams – Vanderbilt – Cory Undlin at his Pro Day
    CB Rashard Causey – UCF – Scout met with him at his Pro Day

Before I get into analysis, I have to explain why this is important. Every year someone questions this, but history has shown this absolutely matters.

Last year:

Dallas Goedert – TE coach at his Pro Day
    Avonte Maddox
    Josh Sweat- DL coach at his ProDay
    Matt Pryor -Met with Jeff Stoutland
    Jordan Mailata -Extensive workout/meeting with Jeff Stoutland

That’s about as conclusive as you can get. And Maddox could very well have made a visit. I don’t have that in my notes.

These things do matter.

The Eagles are showing a lot of attention to OL, DE, DT, RB and S. Expect them to target those positions.

The DE group they have looked at tend to be bigger guys, either tall (6-5) or heavy (280). There are a couple of exceptions, but we’re trying to identify trends. They are looking at players who could go in the Top 10 or the sixth round.

Most of the DTs they are checking out are athletic types. No shocker there. The meeting with Jeffery Simmons is interesting. He has a torn ACL so he can’t be worked out. Simmons has some off-field issues so he’s a player you must spend time with to decide if you want him on your draft board. Top 10 talent, but the issues mean he’ll likely be available at pick 25. Would the Eagles pull the trigger on him?

The OL coaches are all over the place. They are focusing on OG, but the Eagles always love versatile blockers so they are checking out others as well. Again, these guys could go early or late. The team is being very thorough. I’m a big fan of Chris Lindstrom. Glad they are paying him a lot of attention. Cody Ford is the guy who looks like a Pederson/Stoutland OL. Not sure if he’s there at 25.

Duce Staley is also very active. He’s checking out all kinds of RBs.The Eagles are looking at some workhorse guys, but also good role players. They need a weapon for the backfield. That doesn’t have to be a 220-pound runner. They’re checking out athletic pass-catchers as well as tough runners. Trayveon Williams would be a really interesting addition with his big play ability.

Unfortunately, Malcolm Jenkins can’t play forever. The Eagles are checking out safeties because they know they need young talent for that spot.

I am confused by the Eagles showing interest in those 3 CBs. The team isn’t looking at CB in general. They are targeting very specific CBs. All of those guys are big. That made me wonder if they might see them as plays to convert to safety. But if you watch Isaiah Johnson, he sure looks like a CB to me. Great feet. I don’t know what to make of this.

I left off all the close schools…Temple, Villanova, Delaware, Penn State and Rutgers. If the coaches/scouts can drive there easily, they go. We don’t know just how interested they really are in those players.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

um, yet i saw a recent article which showed that the Eagles did NOT tip their hand with official visits. I also don't see how this guys analysis shows that they do tip their hand notwithstanding the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
      um, yet i saw a recent article which showed that the Eagles did NOT tip their hand with official visits. I also don't see how this guys analysis shows that they do tip their hand notwithstanding the title.
      Obviously they did last year Vet as 4 of the 5 guys definitely did visit and Lawler lost his notes on Maddox. They brought in so many that I guess that it doesn't make a difference so I suppose that it all depends on what your definition of tipping is. I agree that they don't go broadcasting it though but it's clear that they insist on really knowing the people that they are going to draft and that makes sense to me.

Comment

Agree. How many other TEs did they visit or workout? The fact that they chose one doesn't absolutely tip their hand. They work out players at most positions and they work out a lot of players. The fact that they draft players they work out shouldn't be a surprise. What would be a surprise to me is showing a tendency to draft players that they don't work out.
        This guy says he doesn't get them showing interest in three CBs yet lots of the knucklehead mock draft guys have had the birds going CB (yet I am not a believer that CB is high on their list). I enjoyed reading it but I mark this up to a guy having to submit an article.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

The Eagles have a contingent at just about every pro day out there. So this can be said for just about every draft pick they make. Even the lists like Lawlor have are not complete.

For instance I know that Duce Staley was at Penn States Pro day looking at Miles Sanders, in fact the Eagles had a big contingent there.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            Agree. How many other TEs did they visit or workout? The fact that they chose one doesn't absolutely tip their hand. They work out players at most positions and they work out a lot of players. The fact that they draft players they work out shouldn't be a surprise. What would be a surprise to me is showing a tendency to draft players that they don't work out.
            This guy says he doesn't get them showing interest in three CBs yet lots of the knucklehead mock draft guys have had the birds going CB (yet I am not a believer that CB is high on their list). I enjoyed reading it but I mark this up to a guy having to submit an article.
            You have a good point there ND. Unless you're picking in the top 5 or look at a QB I don't think that other teams could possibly keep track of all visits and workouts other teams conduct. They are making a big deal about all the guys Duce has looked at this year so I think that they are still going to draft a RB despite bringing in Howard and I hope it's Darell Henderson.

Comment

I think they are going to pick Cody Ford and I won’t be convinced otherwise. In fact, they might trade up for him.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Space filler, IMM. Of course, logically they will pick guys more often than not that they HAVE brought in--- and I bet most teams do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                  I think they are going to pick Cody Ford and I won’t be convinced otherwise. In fact, they might trade up for him.
                  Cody Ford would be awesome.
                  Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                    Well they have been aggressive in the past and have moved up more than down over the years so I wouldn't be shocked if they did that. By all indications they plan on drafting as many players as they can if you believe what Luri said so maybe they plan on staying where they are of even moving down. He claims that they need cheap labor for cap reasons. To me I don't think that they have any glaring needs so it's hard to guess any kind of strategy unless somebody they love comes near them and they move up. I think that offensive lineman is the hardest position to scout so don't ask me lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                      Space filler, IMM. Of course, logically they will pick guys more often than not that they HAVE brought in--- and I bet most teams do the same.
                      I read somewhere a few years ago that Top 30 visits were used just as much for diversion than actually being interested in the player. The Eagles have over the years though tended to take players from that pool of top 30 visits though.
                      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                        I read somewhere a few years ago that Top 30 visits were used just as much for diversion than actually being interested in the player. The Eagles have over the years though tended to take players from that pool of top 30 visits though.
                        Thus the point that they and all teams probably do the same thing--- so this article was junk, space filler.

Comment

Working...
                        X