Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about a kid getting screwed-Montez Sweat

NFL DRAFT
    Report: Montez Sweat may have been misdiagnosed with a heart condition at the NFL Combine
    The initial diagnosis drastically affected where some teams had him on the big board heading into the draft.
    By Alexis Chassen@Lovelybuckeye Apr 25, 2019, 1:40pm EDT

The path to NFL Draft can be paved with good and bad intentions, and the occasional craziness that ends up being fodder for years to come. The latter is what looks to be happening with former first-round prospect Montez Sweat.

Early on in the pre-draft process, Sweat was considered one of the top defensive lineman in the 2019 draft class. That was, until the NFL Combine, where it was reported that he was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy — a heart condition that can be treated, but not cured.

This diagnosis had some teams reportedly removing Sweat from their draft boards altogether, so not just a simple drop to a later round, but someone they weren’t even willing to take a chance on — at least not with one of their draft picks.

But then, early Thursday afternoon, just hours before Round 1 of the 2019 NFL Draft, Adam Schefter reported that the Mississippi State pass-rusher may have actually been misdiagnosed. Which is a BIG deal.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
    From our NFL pre-draft coverage: #MSU pass-rusher Montez Sweat may have been misdiagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Two sources say the thickness of Sweat's heart wall is actually 1.5 cms, not nearly 2.0. I explain below why the risk could be much lower.

1:10 PM - Apr 25, 2019
    434 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Sweat didn’t get the chance to meet with some teams who may have been interested earlier in the process, but other teams haven’t seemed too concerned with the diagnosis from early on, so these new results should only solidify their comfort.

Climbing back into the first round might be a bit of a stretch, however, and with the NFL rookie contracts operating on a sliding scale, the drop to a later round could cost Sweat millions.

He was an impressive interview at the NFL Combine, and someone I liked more so than others when he was explaining his type of game and the the versatility he brings to the field.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Never realized it was cardiomyopathy they diagnosed him with, i have been living with that for 30 years. As an athlete it’s a death sentence. Most of the time when you hear an athlete dies doing a game that is what gets him/her.

Glad it got straighted out.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I am no expert, but I did not read Schefter as saying Sweat does not have the condition, but rather that it may be less severe than initially thought. Is that correct? I do know that these heart measurements are difficult to make and are often less precise than the decimals would lead you to believe.
      Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
      Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by flyered View Post
        I am no expert, but I did not read Schefter as saying Sweat does not have the condition, but rather that it may be less severe than initially thought. Is that correct? I do know that these heart measurements are difficult to make and are often less precise than the decimals would lead you to believe.
        I've heard that he's a tough kid to coach too. Sounds like he'll go to the Cowboys.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
        X