X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root for Dallas

I know this is blasphemy but here goes:

- IF TB wins..
    - IF you want Reid gone or some change mandated by Lurie (new OC, removal of some of AR's duties, etc..)

You have to root for Dallas tomorrow.

Now, most of you are thinking "Damn, Sf done lost his mind!". But hear me out.

Beating Dallas is always great (I also have a hard time ever rooting for Giants, Redskins, or Steelers no matter the situation) but it's just a sugar rush. It'll leave you worse off after 24 hours. So what if you can say we beat Dallas and knocked them out of the playoffs? If TB has already won the earlier game, who are you gonna brag to? Giants fans? Cowboys fans? Giants fans will laugh at you. Cowboys fans will say "so what, you aren't in the playoffs either." Redskins fans? Ummm...

Anyway, if you had to root for Dallas to beat, say... the Bears in order for the Eagles to get in the playoffs, you would right? Because it's the smart thing to do. No matter how much you hate Dallas, it'd be the best thing for the Eagles.

Now, think about tomorrow's game the same way except think of it in the long term. Losing to Dallas effects change in the organization, especially if Dallas makes the playoffs and we are embarrassed.

If a) you don't think Reid or Marty or McNabb or anything is gonna change despite the outcome or b) you don't want change, then it doesnt matter and you can root for the Eagles. But if TB wins and we're out, it's time to think with your head and not your heart.

I'm sure there will be a flurry of responses saying "I can't ever root for a loss... ever." And by all means, that is your right. But I'm just making a logical argument here. Distance yourself emotionally and losing to Dallas might be the best thing in the long run.

Of course, if TB loses, ignore above.

I don't think you are going to get the kind of sweeping changes you are looking for, even if the Boys stomp the Eagles into the dirt at the Linc.

Reid will be back as HC regardless. So, they'll still have all the warts that go along with that, whether it's McNabb under center, or Kolb.

Actually, I'll root for the Eagles to win to knock the turds out of the playoffs. Other than that, I really don't give a $hit what they do at this point. I'm ready for football to be over with. I'm sick of the Eagles at this point. I'm not enjoying the Goddamned ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
      I don't think you are going to get the kind of sweeping changes you are looking for, even if the Boys stomp the Eagles into the dirt at the Linc.
      You might be right but I know what absolutely WON'T effect change: us beating the Cowboys, miss the playoffs, and having the brass consider it a "great year."

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
      I really don't give a $hit what they do at this point. I'm ready for football to be over with. I'm sick of the Eagles at this point.
      They've ruined Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
        They've ruined Christmas.
        LOL. I wouldn't go that far. I had a pretty good Christmas, all things considered.

But the Eagles just appear to me to be a bunch of underachieving losers. I'm just tired of them at this point.

Comment

I have to agree with EB. Besides the fact that I could NEVER root for teh Cowpies over the Birds, I don't think win or lose is gong to make much difference in whether Lurie decides to demand some changes. If what he has seen already is not enough to convince him, one more game is not going to do it.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Agree with EB,, what happens against the boys isn't going to make or break the eagles organization.

Lurie could (probably) already knows what he is or isn't going to do, and IMO now, he isn't going to make those kinds of decisions based the outcome of one game at the end of a year, no matter if we stomp the boys or they stomp us.

Next -- sorry but I have yet in all my years, when the girls and the Eagles play have I ever discovered a valid reason to root for the Girls.
            Last edited by MDFAN; 12-26-2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Sorry SF no can do! I could never turn my back on the guys I served with. It was a committment, all out, all the time. For 60 years I have felt the same way about my Iggles through far worse seasons and HCs than this, trust me this is child's play by comparison. I can not let them down, or run on them, I can not give less than my all out support. You are either committed to the team or you are not. There is NO middle ground. You either live and die with them or you cut and run. Make your choice gentlemen.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
                Sorry SF no can do! I could never turn my back on the guys I served with. It was a committment, all out, all the time. For 60 years I have felt the same way about my Iggles through far worse seasons and HCs than this, trust me this is child's play by comparison. I can not let them down, or run on them, I can not give less than my all out support. You are either committed to the team or you are not. There is NO middle ground. You either live and die with them or you cut and run. Make your choice gentlemen.
                I am committed to the team. But this isn't an infantry. This is a pack of wildebeast. We need to thin the herd.

Comment

Good god vin, you're asking us to not only root for the Cowboys, but to root for them against the Eagles??? And all because it may have some impact on a potential regime change?

I understand where the 'better in the long run' people are coming from, but that's a LOT to ask, man. Wow. That's not just some emotional distance. That's like an emotional canyon. Can't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by IMK View Post
                    Good god vin, you're asking us to not only root for the Cowboys, but to root for them against the Eagles??? And all because it may have some impact on a potential regime change?

I understand where the 'better in the long run' people are coming from, but that's a LOT to ask, man. Wow. That's not just some emotional distance. That's like an emotional canyon. Can't see it.
                    Yeah... it's a big stretch... but it depends on how much you can distance yourself and how much you want change.

I'm REALLY tired of this administration. I'm at the end of my rope.

Comment

Sorry, but I cannot under any circumstances root for Dallas.
                      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Rooting for the Eagles. Sweeping changes aren't coming, even if we land at 8-7-1. 'Course, I don't even see the departure of most of the Dawkins/Runyan/McNabb/LJ/Tra group as a sweeping change at this point. I see those as "going to happen sooner or later." Reid and Marty will still be in charge next year, though there's a fair shot that Reid will get the hot seat, maybe even the vote of confidence kiss of death at some point.
                        "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                        — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                        - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

This FO is incapable of change. Root for the Eagles.
                          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I don't think I can do that. Just ain't in me to do that. I understand your sense of exasperation with Reid/McNabb et. al. I can even follow your logic here. But it would be almost impossible for me to root for Dallas under any circumstances. Sorry, Vin.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                              I am committed to the team. But this isn't an infantry. This is a pack of wildebeast. We need to thin the herd.
                              Sorry again SF, seriously, but you do not understand committment, life or death. This is like combat, this is committment, this is having the guts to stand and fight with and for your buddies (team) no matter how bad it looks at the moment. You have to know, you have to believe that he is never going to run on you. Anything else is an excuse. I understand your frustration, I share it, I am as anti-Andy as anyone here.....BUT...I would never frag my buds, my team...never did...never will. You go for it and then you go on.

Comment

Working...
                              X