Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• writing contest

Hello writers,

Would you rather have a monthly writing contest that pays $100 or a quarterly that pays more? Would the contest encourage you to write more?

Sportscolumn 2.1 coming and I'm thinking of launching a writing contest along with it.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Vin
    $100 a month
    0.00%
    $300-$500 for quarterly contest
    100.00%
    gift certificates
    0.00%
    how about more money you bastard
    0.00%
    Support Sportscolumn.com! Tell a friend!

I'd prefer a monthly that pays more, and it would encourage me to write more. Hockey season here is over in three weeks though, so I'll have more time then anyways.

Comment

Prize

How bout a daily contest, with a $10,000 prize? And press conferences with balloons and dancing girls?

OK, I know you can't do that. I think you should work out a deal with an ESPN or SI where there's a grand prize of having your article printed either on their website or in their magazine. You could offer them advertising on sportscolumn.com as a barter deal.

Comment

I absolutely enjoy $100 per month. I need no encouragement to write more, but money wouldn't hurt.

Comment

ya

$100 a month would definately intice me to write more. How would we decide on who gets it though, a vote or you pick?

Comment

entice not intice, I don't want to start out with $100 contest thing on the wrong foot.

Comment

Even though I've never written a real story, I would be interested in something like a monthly prize. The only question I have is, who would decide the winner?

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                Even though I've never written a real story, I would be interested in something like a monthly prize. The only question I have is, who would decide the winner?
                Well this is subject to change but here's what i'm thinking:

-Top 10 stories in terms of page views is my starting point.
                -I pick 5 (some top stories in terms of page views aren't really stories - like the weekly power rankings) and some are a bunch photos of maria sharapova Of course, I wouldn't be eligible.
                -The users of SC decide out of those 5 which one is the best.
                - Finally, a person can't win 3 months in a row. ( 2 is ok.. 3 is boring. unless we're talking chicks.)

what does everyone think?

Comment

Originally posted by IanB
                  I'd prefer a monthly that pays more, and it would encourage me to write more. Hockey season here is over in three weeks though, so I'll have more time then anyways.
                  $100 is about all i can afford right now. Though if the site gets more popular and people click on more ads, I can up this prize.

Comment

I barely have enough time to write the Power Rankings. But writing for a monthly prize would definitely encourage me to write real stories. Good idea!
                    J Deuce

Comment

i'll do $100 monthly prize.

At the end of each year, the 12 monthly winners all have to write another story to be voted on by the 12 finalists (they can't vote their own; I trust nobody will vote one of the weeker ones to help themselves). There will be a $500 or more year-end prize.

If someone wins more than once, then there will be 11 or 10 or so on finalists (no bonus entries).

I like that.

I am known for my elaborately confusing contests............
                      "And they're not gonna get him today." - Legendary Calder Track Announcer Phil Saltzman.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasy Guru
                        Originally posted by IanB
                        $100 is about all i can afford right now. Though if the site gets more popular and people click on more ads, I can up this prize.
                        Yeah, I don't think I was paying attention when I wrote that, don't mean to sound ungrateful. I meant that I'd prefer the monthly...more money is definetly not a requirement.

Comment

I think the contest is a great idea--it would not only encourage me to write more, but would probably bring in more (quality) writers.

Comment

$100 a month is definitely the way to start. I think it would encourage more writing and better writing. But we should be careful to not make it all about the competition and the money.

Comment

monthly

a monthly prize would be awesome!.. another question Vin, when you launch the new sportscolumn, will i still be able to acess old stories that i have had posted. ( i need them for my adv. journalisim class) or should i save the webpages? thanks... you can email me at [email protected] or just reply...

--tim moore--

Comment

Working...
                              X