Clay Buckholz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay Buckholz

I see that the Phillies acquired Buck from Boston. I consider him to be equivalent to Ryan Mathews of the Eagles. On the upside, his first game for the Red Sox he threw a no hitter! He is capable of shutting down a team. He can go through streaks where he is an ace.

On the downside he has never come close to completing a full season. He's streaky and you can expect at least a 5 game losing streak from him, maybe more. The reason the Red Sox gave up on him is because he is undependable in several ways. He was fiercely loyal to the Red Sox and I'm wondering how the trade will effect him.
    Last edited by Eagle60; 01-03-2017, 09:15 PM.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I just hope it doesn't mean that Nola is hurting again
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Well this pick up won't make me run out and buy season tix.

Comment

It's a great get. We barely gave up anything (aside from taking on $) and he finished the season very strong. It's a great back of the rotation, innings eater. The Phils will have to make a move with their surplus of starting pitchers. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Nola, Velazquez, Eickoff, Hellickson and Buchholz has some promise and then you have all these arms to consider over the course of '17:

Mark Appel
        Alec Asher
        Zach Eflin
        Adam Morgan
        Ricardo Pinto
        Jake Thompson

each has their warts but several show alot of promise (Eflin & Thompson especially).

Comment

I see the Phils trying to strike gold here . If he does well, trade him to a contender and pick up some more picks. Let one of the kids get their innings in AAA. We're still a ways from contention anyway.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
            It's a great get. We barely gave up anything (aside from taking on $) and he finished the season very strong. It's a great back of the rotation, innings eater. The Phils will have to make a move with their surplus of starting pitchers. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Nola, Velazquez, Eickoff, Hellickson and Buchholz has some promise and then you have all these arms to consider over the course of '17:

Mark Appel
            Alec Asher
            Zach Eflin
            Adam Morgan
            Ricardo Pinto
            Jake Thompson

each has their warts but several show alot of promise (Eflin & Thompson especially).
            If you're looking for an inning eater forget it Steve LOL. I don't know much about what you gave up for him but the Sox moved him because of that very fact. You never know when he can show up. I wish him well though because he's a great guy.

Comment

I hear you 60. Innings eater isn't the proper cliche'. I meant he will be a mid-back rotation type guy as opposed to a cornerstone to the rotation. He needs a change of scenery and hope he can catch fire in Philly (hopefully not of the dumpster variety!)

Comment

I hope he's good enough to get a youngster at the deadline and I hope they don't rush one of the kids. Maybe Nola needs to slow down and work on his arm.

Comment

I guess the Sox fans around me call him Suckholtz for a reason. I'm hoping for the best. reality says average, at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                    I guess the Sox fans around me call him Suckholtz for a reason. I'm hoping for the best. reality says average, at best.
                    I don't know if I would say average Ross. The guy really is capable of a Cy Young if he ever puts it together. His first game with the Red Sox he threw a no hitter. He seems to just come up with the strangest injuries every year and then really runs hot and cold. He really is an enigma. Great teammate and fun to watch but he'll drive you nuts too lol.

Comment

Saw Buckholtz in ST and in his first start. He looks to me like a guy who needs all the stars and planets to align perfectly to have a quality start.

Comment

Seen nothing to prove he should be on the roster

Comment

Wasn't one of the big questions about him about his ability to stay healthy?

Sorry this team will not be competitive, IMM, for another year or 2 at least. Unless they decide to go on a spending spree. They need to get a guy like that 22 year Japanese phenom.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                            Wasn't one of the big questions about him about his ability to stay healthy?

Sorry this team will not be competitive, IMM, for another year or 2 at least. Unless they decide to go on a spending spree. They need to get a guy like that 22 year Japanese phenom.
                            Damn shame it ain't two weeks into the season and it is already kind of obvious. But there are a couple of young guys I will be interested in seeing their development
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

Have a twinge of interest in watching some of the young guys--- but not willing to spend any more of my money for a couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                              X