• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victorino whining

Getting close to time to trade Vic's ass

Victorino bothered by benching

By RANDY MILLER
    phillyBurbs.com

Phillies outfielder Shane Victorino rode the bench for the second day in a row Sunday and would like an explanation from manager Charlie Manuel.

“I'm very disappointed,” Victorino said. “I'll talk to him at some point and see what's going on. I'm going to have to.”

Manuel says his office door is open.

“Come talk to me,” the skipper said before the Phillies' rain-delayed 6-5 interleague loss to the Toronto Blue Jays. “I'll try to answer the best I can. I'm playing the guy who is doing more than he is.”

For the first time, Manuel is admitting that productive fourth outfielder Jayson Werth, who is batting .272 with 9 homers and 26 RBIs in 36 games, will get a chance to be an everyday player in center field.

“Right now, [Werth is] definitely one of our starters,” Manuel said. “Why shouldn't he be? We're trying to win.”

Werth, who was 0-for-5 with three strikeouts on Sunday, began the season platooning in right field with Geoff Jenkins. He was productive starting in center while Victorino was on the disabled list from April 14-29 with a right calf strain, then opened eyes again Friday night with a three-homer, eight-RBI game.

“I was the starting everyday center fielder before I got hurt,” Victorino said. “That's the question I have. What am I now?”

“I can only play three [outfielders] at a time,” Manuel said. “Hit .320 or .330 and you'll be sure to be in there. If you're hitting .235 ... ”

Victorino is hitting .235 with one homer and six steals in 31 games after grounding out as a pinch-hitter on Sunday, and for the time being will probably be battling for playing time in right field with Jenkins, who is batting .265 with 2 homers and 7 RBIs in 39 games.

“I can understand why a guy would get frustrated,” Manuel said. “I look at how a guy is doing, and [Werth's] numbers speak for themselves. When somebody's outplaying you and you get a chance, you better take the job back away from him. That's how I look at it. I don't think that's unfair at all.”

Victorino understands Werth deserves to play — “he's got the stats” — but sharing time with Jenkins won't be as easy to accept.

Jenkins was signed as a free agent last winter to a two-year, $9 million contract and has been a disappointment so far after being productive for years in Milwaukee.

To this point, Manuel has played the lefty-swinging Jenkins against right-handed starters only. With the Phils facing five lefties in a row until Saturday, Manuel wanted Jenkins to get some at-bats with the Jays starting righties the last two days.

How will this play out?

“I try my best to give them all playing time,” Manuel said. “There's enough playing time for all of them.”
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Re: Victorino whining

Why is Vic complaining to the press? Pretty lame to tell the press that he's going to talk to Charlie, when he should have gone and talked to Charlie.
    www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Werth has outplayed him and absolutely deserves to be the regular CF. Phils should talk to Werth about a new deal.

Plus, Golson is hitting .331 down at Reading, pushing up Vic's departure timeframe significantly.
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Screw Victorino. He had one good year and then he acts like he should be entrenched as an everyday star.

Good. Sit on your butt. Then maybe the urgency will get you hitting again and actually contributing. You're NOT Ryan Howard. So NO. We don't have patience for you .235 bull.
        Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
        Playoff Appearances:
        NFC Title Games:
        Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Working...
        X